Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare course - would you recommend it?

• 12-04-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I finished school five years ago, and was working in hospitality until a few months ago when I lost my job. There doesn't seem to be much work out there, so I was considering applying for a PLC course locally. The childcare course looks interesting, but I have a few questions.
    1. Is it possible to do the course full-time, and still work in the evenings?
    2. What expenses are involved?
    3. I really hated studying at school. Will I hate this course?
    Any other advice you can give will be gratefully received. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lilly mae

Hi, you really need to be interested in children and probably be used to baby sitting or something. The assignments are tough enough. There is a lot of research ect. Lots of people combine part time work with such courses but you need to be very structured and disciplined about study and assignments to combine them.There is childcare work available but at Fetac Level 5 the pay is crap, around the the basic rate. If you liked it, then it might be worth doing Level 6 the following year. Its hard enough work but if you have been in the service industry you are used to hard work. Would you qualify for return to education or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lilly mae

The VEC PLC's are probably the best. Also there is no fees as far as I know. If you are unemployed and have a med card, part of the registration fee is paid -200euro. so you only have 250euro to pay. Also if you have med card the exam fees are paid also, thats 70 euro I think. You would prob qualify for a grant if not getting back to education which I think you are entitled to after six months unemployed. Check it out at your local soc welfare office or citizens advice. These things are changing all the time so I wouldn't be up to speed. I am doing the Level 6 but as a mother returning to the workforce having reared my family there was no back to ed or anything available. Boo Hoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kiera mullane

I am doing the FETAC level 5 childcare course in Shannon, it is very good and I really enjoy doing it. Yes you can work as well as doing the course. If you have a medical card the exam fees are free and the course costs €300. There is study involved in the course, but it is all worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maria lyons

i am studying fetac level 5 childcare and i work up to five days a week. it tough enough to do both of them but im at the end of it now and iv done everything so far. its a good course to do. it costs about 400 euro altogether. its mosstly all assignments so you dont need to study too much. we only had one exam. i think you would be able for it and that you should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amanda1993H

Hello Anne, im sorry to hear that you lost your job. I am currently studying childcare and am almost finished. I have to say choosing this course was the best thing I ever did. The hours are extremely socialable and it is absolutly possible to work and study if you choose to. However there is alot of work involved with assignments. The expenes are not extreme at all there is an initial course fee of €300 after that you will have to pay €90 for an occupational first aid course which is mandatory but extrememly doable and I really enjoyed doing it the final fee is €50 for exams. In answer to your last question there is studying involved but it is mainly assignment based which does involve a good bit of work but is amazing all the same. There is studying involved but it is not at all like secondary school. Another piece of advice I would give you that someone gave me is that If you are really interested in it and love what you do the rewards are priceless. Seeing a child look up to and see you as their role model is the best feeling in the world.
    I hope everything goes well for you
    Yours sincerely
    Amanda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lisak6009

Hi, the FETAC level 5 childcare course is available in Shannon. It starts at 9:40 every morning except for Wednesday. On Wednesdsay mornings it starts at 9am. It finishes at 3:20 every Monday to Wednesday. On Thursday it finishes at 2:40. I would recommend this course because it is still possible to work outisde of the hours. The fees for the course is 300 euro in september, and then 70 euro for the first aid course. The price of the book and folders will be on top of that. You will love this course because there are so many projects to do to get the points. There is a small bit of studying involved in this course for the one module we have to do an exam for, that is child development. Hope this message helps you to make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kaylaxx

I am currently doing the FETAC level 5 childcare course. It is local it is only a 10 minute walk from my house which is very convenient and easy to get to as I don't drive. In relation to your first question I think it is possible to work part-time in the evenings as in my course we start at 9 am and finish at 3:20pm on our longest day. Depending on the job and the hours because all you need is to be wrecked tired when taking in valuable information. In reply to your second question this course is €100 on medical card but if you are not on medical card it is €300. This course does require study but it is mostly assignment based, there is alot of assignments but it is doable. I found this course great as I felt this was the career I wanted. It also helps if you are out-going when you are meeting people for the first time. I hope answered the questions helpfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 olaf94

Hi I am a student studying FETAC level 5 in Childcare and I found this course very enjoyable, throughout the course there is a lot to do but it is manageable. I feel that this course is helpful and has taught me a lot about working with children and to better understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I sense something is off here......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thread closed.
    Once again, would FETAC tutors stop using boards as practice for their students.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement