Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 12-04-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello
    I'm wondering if anyone who had taken this course or is taking it could tell me if having experience in physics from secondary is necessary; whether or not you could start the course from scratch. Is the work really based as though you've just walked out of secondary classes or does it teach you all the basics you need as you go?
    Also, if anyone could give me any more information about what's involved in the course I'd be grateful; what the classes involve, any advice on it.
    Even your own opinions about how the course has been for you would be appreciated.
    Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

If you don't mind me jumping in, I'm also looking at mechanical engineering so any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I finished first year in may, you will be grand if you haven't done physics. engineering science was probably the hardest of the lot, alot of physics in it, but they start off with easy enough stuff.
    we only had 3 exams in May, Maths, Engineering Science and Electrical science. the rest were continuous assessments throughout the year.
    You will have to put a fair bit of work in to do well in it. Mechanical Dissection is interesting, where you take apart things like lawnmower engines, differentials, you get 4 hours to do it, and the class is once ever 2 weeks. Electrical Science lab is once every 2 weeks too and alternates with Mechanical Dissection.
    Manufacturing Engineering you are given 2 projects over the year, one to be finished by xmas, and the other by April. This is 4 hours long every week, all done in the workshop. and you also have theory lectures for all of those.
    Cad was 3 hours a week I think. Most people found it handy enough, we were using PTC creo 2.0.

anymore questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I'm considering doing this.

Anyone got any info about what you do in the actual course? What sort of jobs could you get to do from this job aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

i would like to do this aswell. what sort of facilities are in the college in reguard to the engineering course and the college itself? thanks

Advertisement