Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't remember book title or author!! Help!

Options
  • 12-04-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

My Dad had a book years ago entitled something like "ride the dead donkey" (could have been horse or pony). I don't know who the author is but it was a dark comedy about a guy who works at a kids summer camp. The ponies/horse/donkeys that the kids were supposed to take rides on die and they put the kids on them anyway. The comedy style is a bit like Joseph Heller but for the life of us, Dad and I can't recall the author and/or possibly the correct title. Total long shot but does this ring any bells with anyone?? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Is this it?

41FZZrDkmFL._SL500_.jpg

This is from a review:
    It concerns one Nemiroff (we never learn his first name and he doesn't seem to think that he has one) who works as the only Jewish counsellor in a summer camp. (I learned of the existence of summer camps from this book.) He hates the kids he is in charge of, hates the camp, hates his fellow workers, and especially hates his luscious Gentile colleague Miss Booe (we never learn her first name either), because he knows she'll never go to bed with him. In the course of the book, he throws up in a girl's ear, has attempted coitus with a guitar (the girl who's wearing refuses to take it off, even in bed) and generally behaves like one of the most singularly repellent anti-heroes in contemporary American fiction. But it all changes when Miss Booe suddenly turns out to love Jewish guys...

"The Horse Is Dead" has been long out of print, and first editions are now extremely valuable. (Yay for my mum, who still owns one.) I gather Robert Klane has gone on to a successful cinema career. Good luck to him. This was a book years ahead of, or way to the side of, its time. Or any other time, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Thanks so much!!! I've been trying to find the title of this for ages!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheLastEmperor

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it's similar to a question I have:

Around the mid 90s I read a sci-fi book about an alien invasion. I don't remember a whole lot about it other than somehow mankind had built two massive domes, I think one was in London (which was the important one) and one was over a mine or something, in South America. Basically towards the end the aliens attacked the wrong dome and somehow this led to us winning the fight (helpful I know).

Now I realise that's not much to go on but if anyone can remember the name of the book I'd really appreciate it, it's been bugging me for months!

Advertisement