Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door open when grilling?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've asked a few people about this and I'm getting mixed answers. When using the grill on an oven are you supposed to keep the door of the oven open?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Yes, I always co. I think its to do with the smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Yes, I always co. I think its to do with the smoke.

You smoke while grilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

yes , you defo are, grilling is more likely to produce smoke than oven cooking.
    Some cookers have little catches on the door hinge you can set so nobody closes it when the grill is on by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some cookers work in grill mode while door is open and switch to oven when shut - though I haven't seen one of those in yonks.

Personally, I grill with the oven door open, so that I can hear & smell it better

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    Some cookers work in grill mode while door is open and switch to oven when shut - though I haven't seen one of those in yonks.
    Mine does that, which I thought was also a safety thing incase somebody closed the door by accident.

I have never heard it recommended to close it, I am sure people do it to speed up things a bit though.

I often turn off the grill and then close the door, so it keeps the heat in, this is to be both energy efficient, and not have to watch over the grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Depends on the oven. Read the manual. My oven (2 years old) recommends keeping the door closed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The manual with my old oven recommended closing the door, but the one I have now stresses that the door should never be closed while grilling. It varies from one make to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It completely depends on the design of the appliance itself. Some can do 'closed door grilling' others can't.

A lot of it is to do with how the oven keeps itself cool.

Ours is a De Dietrich pyro clean oven and it has no issue doing closed door grilling. It's designed to do it. It starts cooling fans outside the oven and the internal fan in the oven cavity pulses on and off when it's in that mode.

Just beware though that it also results in the oven cavity getting hot so the food is grilled and baked rather than just grilled.

So the results are different and the cooking time is shorter.

French and UK designed ovens seem to be more capable of grilling. I get the impression the Germans don't do a lot of it grilling / broiling as the Bosch and Miele ovens I've seen haven't had great grilling provisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

For an oven, door open always, as it get's very smoky otherwise.

My parents have a microwave, that also can be a conventional grill or conventional oven, or various combinations. ('Tis a magic machine :pac:) When they're using the conventional grill they still leave the door closed. Not sure how it works, I think the smoke is filtered away somehow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

On my mother's grill (separate to oven) we usually leave the door closed and it works fine.

In the ovens in the houses I rent, they're all those crappy grill/oven combo's, and if you close the door the thermostat for the grill turns the element off instead of being super grill hot the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depends on the oven. Read the manual. My oven (2 years old) recommends keeping the door closed.
    This is the 100% the right answer. My grill instructions specifically state not to grill with the door open.
    My previous grill, had a catch to keep the door open a fraction.

Anybody that says you are ALWAYS supposed do have it open (or closed) is talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yeah, depends on the oven. I think with some gas models the flame will actually go out if the door is closed.

My current oven (Miele) and the one previous to that (Beko) automatically switch off when the door is opened (to conserve energy) so you'd be a long time waiting on something to grill if you left the door ajar!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crusoe

We just moved to new house...it has a brand new cooker-oven (with separate grill). We never used grill like that before... and we tried it few times but it didnt work..it was always just warm, never hot enough...

so we called the landlord.... he sent his own repair man.... he checked, and he also agreed we got a problem here.. but he didn't wanna fix because the oven still had the 1 year guarantee

today (with guarantee) the other repairman came out...
    he checked it..
    he said it works properly...
    then he ask me "how did you use it? with open or closed door? ...do you have manual for it?"

"probably my brother tried it closed" I answered (I was wondering why would I leave open a door of an oven/grill" ..I never heard before that I should leave it open

so show me a "safety button" in the corner..when you close its door the heat turns off.... and he said its in the manual, that the grill-door of this type cooker has to be open while using

yes it depends the brand I guess, our one doesn't even work with closed door
    just read the manual

Advertisement