Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle SQL/PL Using VSIZE in a Procedure

Options
  • 12-04-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I am trying to output to the command line screen the nr of bytes (using VSIZE) in the string 'nOT', 'easy'. The first code snippet works fine, setting the first character of each string in capitals.

However I cannot display the number of bytes using VSIZE. Any ideas? Been scratching my head and trying/failing for over an hour now :mad:

Thanks.

First snippet: (Works fine)

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE pleasehelp (firstname IN NVARCHAR2, surname IN NVARCHAR2)
    IS
     BEGIN 
                 DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE (INITCAP (firstname)  || INITCAP (surname)); 

END pleasehelp;
    / 

set serveroutput on;
    BEGIN 
       pleasehelp (‘nOT’, ‘easy’);

END; 	
    /

Second code snippet (attempting to using VSIZE to output number of bytes)
    CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE pleasehelp (firstname IN NVARCHAR2, surname IN NVARCHAR2)
    IS
     BEGIN 
                 DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE (INITCAP (firstname)  || INITCAP (surname)); 
                 DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE (VSIZE(firstname) || VSIZE(surname));          

END pleasehelp;
    / 

set serveroutput on;
    BEGIN 
       pleasehelp (‘nOT’, ‘easy’);

END; 	
    /

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd say it's because you are trying to concatenate two numbers.

Try VSIZE(firstname) and then VSIZE(lastname).

Also try SELECT VSIZE('nOT') from DUAL; to see what it gives you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Thanks,, I got it sorted in the end,

Advertisement