Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing on the side

• 12-04-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey guys,
    I am just looking for advice.
    What do you think I could put in place to get more privacy on the side of the house.
    It looks like there is a good bit of land on the side that has a small 3ft concrete fence separating that from parking.
    Would you recommend hedge, fence ? What hight can it be not to annoy everyone around and council?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd plant it, but then I love plants :) .

The light would be my only concern there. You are going to be blocking light on three sides if you build something, or put up a fence, and it's already pretty shaded looking.

If you do plant there, I'd go for something that isn't very dense... So it still lets some light in. More of a thin screen than a thick hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could consider installing a fence which runs parallel to boundary wall but offset by approx 0.9m - 1.0 m and within this space to plant Pyracntha spaced at 0.9m and allowed to grow to 1.8m-2.0m tall.

This will reduce the maintenance to road side area only, protect young children from any thorny accidents but provide you with an evergreen, bird friendly, flowering and inpenetrable, densely secure planted barrier.

Pyracantha is probably the most effective means of protecting garden boundaries and areas (front or rear) from any unwanted visitors.

In this case, you could consider using fencing with good design/ornamental finish given that it would be visible from within the garden area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think I would certainly put in a hedge. How shaded it is depends on the time that was taken, if it was early morning as with most of the google images stuff, then the sun comes round the back and a hedge would not cast shade into the garden. Looks like a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

Thanks for advice to all. Indeed there would be no shade as durin the day sun is on the back of the house so fence would shade parking.
    Do you know how high can fence be? I have planted lourel hedging but it is only couple of feet high so far. It will proably take couple of years before it wiill grow a little bit.
    I was reading that only 1.2 metre fence is allowed on the front but this one looks like it is on the side. What do you think? I would be happy to put woodden fence about 1.8 metre if that would not violate any regulations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

FixYa wrote: »
    Thanks for advice to all. Indeed there would be no shade as durin the day sun is on the back of the house so fence would shade parking.
    Do you know how high can fence be? I have planted lourel hedging but it is only couple of feet high so far. It will proably take couple of years before it wiill grow a little bit.
    I was reading that only 1.2 metre fence is allowed on the front but this one looks like it is on the side. What do you think? I would be happy to put woodden fence about 1.8 metre if that would not violate any regulations

Boundary walls/fences are 1.2 meters in height for front of house.

And 2 meters in height for sides and back of house

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

FixYa wrote: »

Regulations limiting boundary heights do not apply if you are erecting a fence behind a planted screen or not proposing to building on the boundary line.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

ok. So i might put a 6ft fence 1 meter away from boundary fence and plant hedge in between.
    Sounds like a plan

Advertisement