Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed in Navan

Options
  • 12-04-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone in Navan signed up to Sky broadband yet? I am with Vodafone now, on a legacy plan from the old BT days and am getting up to 10Mb right now.

Eircom are offering their 8MB dealy with no contention ratio issues, but we rarely have contention issues at the moment, so not too pushed about that.

With Sky, when I put in my number and UAN, they say that the line should be able to support 6MB maximum. If Sky really does (as they claim) give you the fastest service the line can provide, does it mean I will definitely get my 10Mb if I change? Need to hear from fellow Navanites!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Sky's marketing has got to you too! :D - Fastest my arse.

Its going to be running through the same copper phone line into your house through the same eircom exchange... its just the service providers name which will change that is the only thing that will change.

The whole infrastructure is still eircoms and that wont change.

Whatever speed you are getting now, you will get with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Hi Access,

Thanks for your comment, but please understand that, irrespective of the actual copper wires and exchange hardware being used, a key element in determining the actual speeds you get is how your provider manages the traffic.

Many providers throttle the speed of their users' lines, either to give cheaper offerings to people who are willing to accept lower speeds, or for other reasons that they are not going to tell you about. For example, I know that my line can provide up to 12 Mbps, but after a line fault, I found that, when it came back up, it was limited to 1 Mbps, as the provider had an automated checking of a line's ideal service level, and applied a limit to my line when it saw that there was a problem, which still applied after the problem was fixed. It was only after multiple conversations with Tech Support (not Customer Service mind you) that I found out what had happened and how to get it fixed.

So you see - even though the same infrastructure is being used, one provider may indeed be able to provide a faster service than another...

So, I want to know what people in Navan are actually getting from their Sky broadband connections. I am afraid that Sky's software may have figured that 6Mb is about right for Navan and will apply that as a limit to their Navan customers. I do not want to lose the 10Mb that I currently have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

hamiltron wrote: »
    Hi Access,

Thanks for your comment, but please understand that, irrespective of the actual copper wires and exchange hardware being used, a key element in determining the actual speeds you get is how your provider manages the traffic.

Sky broadband service is being managed by eircoms infastructure here in meath at least... so like i say it is just the name at the top of your bill that is changing... everything else would remain the same. You could go with digiweb in navan... there is another thread here in the meath forums about that... some people getting speeds of 18mb+

Either way if you went for sky bb, you will only get the maximum you are getting now, but like you say, sky might request a slower speed to maintain a more constant service.

Its the same really with us here... i know i can get 3mb here but eircom had to throttle the line to 2mb and then a few months later to 1mb mainly because when we had 3mb it was fine but service was coming and going and a constant dsl signal could not be achieved all the time... same at 2mb... but now at 1mb its perfect (if a little slow) but its now constant and has never failed. Netflix... youtube... rte player all fine. And we are only a few miles outside the nearest town.

Count yourself lucky really with the speed you have... most people wont see the difference between 6 and 10mb speeds... unless your constantly downloading.

Even if someone in navan has sky broadband now there might be too many varibles to compare your speed against theirs. I have a mate in navan town who keeps banging on that he has up to 50mb bb with upc... last time i did a speed test at his house he is averaging 10mb!

You might never know what sorts of speeds you will get with sky until you actually switch over to them... if sky is a lot cheaper it might just make it worthwhile. Good luck with it anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Be sure to read the Sky broadband thread before you switch. As an existing Sky customer (for TV), I have been tempted, but I'd say 90%+ of the feedback is pretty bad tbh. I've had Vodafone for years now, and overall it's been reliable, so I don't want to risk changing at this stage. The evenings seem to be when the problems with Sky happen, I wonder are they using contended services where VF and Eircom offer uncontended services?

Advertisement