Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading intern job

• 12-04-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22125015

Reading have been criticised for seeking to appoint a full-time postgraduate performance analyst who will not be paid or receive expenses.
    • Hold (or be in the process of completing) a postgraduate degree in performance analysis or sports science
    • Have a performance analysis background, with some previous experience of working in professional/semi-pro football
    • Hold a UK driving license and have access to their own car
    • The position is full-time and will require the successful applicant to work unsociable hours from July 2013 - May/June 2014. The post holder will be required to attend all first-team home games and some away games
    • This role is unpaid and includes no travel expenses

Its some joke when alot of people cant afford to do a job for a multimillion pound company!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

That's pretty disgusting. I could give them a whole season performance analysis in one 4-letter word starting with 's' and ending with 'hit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is common enough among lots of big money companies, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Better than an internship here as a van helper at Currys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

CSF wrote: »
    This is common enough among lots of big money companies, no?

That makes it ok so.

Mrs Thatchers spirit lived on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Typical from Reading they may head off to the Championship again where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That makes it ok so.

Mrs Thatchers spirit lived on ....

The not paying expenses thing is fairly **** of them, but if you look at the amount of people who do work at football clubs every week for free, without getting something on their CV that will potentially enable them to earn a very good living in the future, it doesn't seem as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Post-grad with experience and they don't get paid or expenses for a full time position? What a load of bollocks. The worst thing is that there are idiot rich kids who will take these positions and make life more difficult for everybody else.

The truth is if the jobs you are looking at aren't going to pay you when you have a masters and experience then you are looking at the wrong jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not at all surprised by this, but is it any different to a major corporation, where suits in the boardroom trouser six and seven figure salaries, hiring an unpaid intern?

That said, if this internship provides an opportunity to learn, gain good experience and build contacts, it would be towards the more benign end of this culture, when you look at, say, the shelf-stacking "interns" at Tesco, as a contrast.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not at all surprised by this, but is it any different to a major corporation, where suits in the boardroom trouser six and seven figure salaries, hiring an unpaid intern?

Yeah it is. People with a post-grad and relevant experience tend not to have to take unpaid internships. It's only because football is such a desirable industry to work in that they would be getting away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pro. F wrote: »
    People with a post-grad and relevant experience tend not to have to take unpaid internships.

Sadly, they do. Unpaid internships are rampant in design and media industries.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sadly, they do. Unpaid internships are rampant in design and media industries.

Maybe design and media are industries that are that hard to get into too, I wouldn't know.

But industries like finance, tech, engineering, etc., I don't think the internships are as bad as that. As long as your willing to leave Ireland that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm in the business of performance analysis and have been following all of these internships that have come up. Even I felt the need to comment on that one on the facebook page when I saw it. Huge discussion on Twitter about it. It's a very tough and demanding job and it at least deserves expenses to be covered.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No expenses is fairly pathetic, especially if they're going to be driving a good bit (which I'm guessing from the need for a car/license)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

http://jasonlear.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/internships-the-debate-goes-mainstream-but-is-still-blunt/

I agree with pretty much everything Jason says in that article. Reading aren't the only ones, they were just honest enough to outline exactly the work load involved and are reading the heat here.

Wigan have been looking for 3 interns to work with the under 21 squad for a full season.
    West brom are looking for a full time intern as are huddersfield and Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

All clubs do this even LOI clubs, its in the persons interest to do this.

To get what you want to be .....sometimes you have to do a bit more........

There's a difference between offering an opportunity and exploitation though.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    There's a difference between offering an opportunity and exploitation though.

Seriously every club does this.

You think Mourinho was paid at Barca under Robson?

If you know anyone in sports science working at clubs ask the them what they did to get that job Padraic Phibbs and Fergal Kerin 2 that spring to mind, worked at pats for free now in paid jobs with other clubs.

Sometimes this forum with its "knowledge of the game" could seriously do with a smack of reality.

It's explotation.

Off to the championship with yis.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's explotation.

Off to the championship with yis.

So if your club does it (dunno who they are but fairly sure they do it), is it off to the championship with them too?

jaysis....

I'm doing an internship myself in this area. I know it has to be done but I couldn't do it without bus expenses being paid.
    We're talking about the English clubs here who are looking for the best of the best.
    The clubs are looking for fully qualified graduates who are in debt to work unsociable hours and drive long distances for free for 12 months and some are looking for already experienced people. That's a person who deserves a wage IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

This is from a UK based site:

http://www.internaware.org/about/why-unpaid-internships-are-illegal/
    Under employment law, people who work set hours, do set tasks and contribute value to an organisation are “workers” and are entitled to the minimum wage. This means even if your internship was just about being expected to turn up at a certain time and add some numbers in Excel you are likely to be entitled to pay. And as it is impossible to sign away your rights, even if you have agreed to work without pay you can still claim. Every time an intern has taken their employer to court for not being paid the minimum wage they have won.

It's a cynical practice and the sooner we see the back of it the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No expenses even, morally that is so wrong. Is the owner not a multi billionaire no:confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Still better then the deal the Chelsea intern got; a decent salary and a bullet from Ashley cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No expenses even, morally that is so wrong. Is the owner not a multi billionaire no:confused::eek:

How do you think he became a multi billionaire! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, expenses should at least be paid considering there'll be a lot of travel involved with it. Otherwise, that's not even a free job, it's one costing a hell of a lot of money to do

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seriously every club does this.

If you know anyone in sports science working at clubs ask the them what they did to get that job Padraic Phibbs and Fergal Kerin 2 that spring to mind, worked at pats for free now in paid jobs with other clubs.

Sometimes this forum with its "knowledge of the game" could seriously do with a smack of reality.

What a load of condescending bollocks. You clearly haven't read the thread or the article. They are looking for people who already have post graduate degrees and experience to do a full time job, that is somebody who has already done an internship being asked to do another one. That's exploitation whatever special, insider, real fan bollocks knowledge you think you have. Reading aren't even going to cover expenses.

And Mourinho worked with Robson at two clubs before they went to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

There is a guy I know who does performance analysis at FC Nordsjaelland in Denmark and grew is very well paid for his work. All expenses are also covered, and he was given accommodation by the club.

This is his second year doing it, and he absolutely loves it. He's also getting the last of his coaching badges done over there.

Reading, and every other club that are doing this internship rubbish, are exploiting the workers imo. Especially considering the money and rewards involved in the game.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    There is a guy I know who does performance analysis at FC Nordsjaelland in Denmark and grew is very well paid for his work. All expenses are also covered, and he was given accommodation by the club.

This is his second year doing it, and he absolutely loves it. He's also getting the last of his coaching badges done over there.

Reading, and every other club that are doing this internship rubbish, are exploiting the workers imo. Especially considering the money and rewards involved in the game.

Sounds sweet. Is he Danish? Did he have to learn the language?

Sounds sweet. Is he Danish? Did he have to learn the language?

Yeah he loves it. He's from the usa actually, but went to college in Copenhagen for a while when he was younger, so he had a grasp of the language. Fluent now, but still does a lot of his work in English, as there's a lot of different nationalities there.
    Lives on his bloody I pad, swears by it.
    He had a look at 3 or 4 games my club played last year in the Kildare league, and even at that level, some of the little things he was pointing out made a hell of a difference to a few of our lads, myself included.

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Yeah he loves it. He's from the usa actually, but went to college in Copenhagen for a while when he was younger, so he had a grasp of the language. Fluent now, but still does a lot of his work in English, as there's a lot of different nationalities there.
    Lives on his bloody I pad, swears by it.
    He had a look at 3 or 4 games my club played last year in the Kildare league, and even at that level, some of the little things he was pointing out made a hell of a difference to a few of our lads, myself included.

I'd be interested in hearing a few examples of what he said if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

dreamers75 wrote: »

He was employed as an interpreter so I'd imagine he was paid.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing a few examples of what he said if possible

One of our ex-players emigrated to the US ten years ago - had a year as a pro with New England Revolution. He is best mates with this guy from their time together at an amateur club in Manhattan Beach, California.
    _____

All done on video, and viewed afterwards with the players concerned.

One young lad in particular used to 'admire' every pass he hit, before moving for a return or whatever. Was only for a split second, but he felt that as most lads eyes were following the ball, it was never really picked up before. He showed him the video, and even yer man himself didn't realise he was doing it.

Well with regard to me, (keeper) one thing he felt that my kicking was letting me down, as I was trying to force extra distance out of the ball. Explained it to me like a golfers swing - if i can repeat the same action each time, i'd be more consistent. I always had a decent kick (length-wise) but the accuracy could be a bit erratic. Now I'm not kicking as far, but with the rest of the team understanding that (and why) we tend to keep possession more now from our goal kicks, free kicks etc.

He had a chat to a few more of the lads too, including our manager (has a UEFA 'A' licence) who learned a few bits from him too.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/hm-revenue-customs-hmrc/pressreleases/football-in-focus-on-underpaid-workers-895769
    Professional football clubs who fail to pay their staff the National Minimum Wage (NMW) can expect HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to take action against them, the department announced today.

As the new football season gets underway, HMRC has found evidence that some professional clubs may not be paying backroom staff the legal minimum wage.

Research by HMRC has shown that posts are being advertised for work at football clubs in areas such as sport science and marketing, as well as matchday roles - such as ball boy supervision, or work as mascots - which appear not to comply with NMW rules. HMRC is now taking pre-emptive action to safeguard workers by initially contacting 44 football clubs, to ensure that employers are not breaching minimum wage rules.

Letters will do the trick! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

But industries like finance, tech, engineering, etc., I don't think the internships are as bad as that. As long as your willing to leave Ireland that is.

Tech internships in Ireland are pretty well paid as it happens, even before degree level.

It's a start I suppose.

An Irish lad who did the course in Carlow got a position with Reading as analyst for the academy. Wonder is this the position he got...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's a load of bollox, even more so considering the wages players are on these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Laughable really. You could understand if it was a 3rd division or conference team but for the bigger teams to carry on this practise is a disgrace. They should be offering paid internships via local universities and part of some sort of community engagement scheme. This would represent such a small part of the clubs expenditure, most clubs would probably spend more on tea and biscuits!

The fact that it is widespread (allegedly) only makes it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They could probably do with playing a few interns after getting hammered 6-0 by peterboro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Currently doing an internship and not a bad wage out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's a start I suppose.

An Irish lad who did the course in Carlow got a position with Reading as analyst for the academy. Wonder is this the position he got...

Nope ;)

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Nope ;)

Do ya know him?

(I'm guessing it's not you if you're real name is actually Ken...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Do ya know him?

(I'm guessing it's not you if you're real name is actually Ken...)

Yeah I know him, worked with him before. Have to say he did really well and deserves the job.

kensutz wrote: »
    Yeah I know him, worked with him before. Have to say he did really well and deserves the job.

He did the analysis for Wexford Women's last year. Must have been invaluable experience that.

I'm doing it for the Galway Women's this year so hopefully I'll do as well as him (I'm minus the college degree though!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24454963

Cardiff have suspended their head of recruitment Iain Moody and replaced him with an unknown 23-year-old who was formerly on work experience.
    Moody helped Cardiff sign summer recruits such as Gary Medel and Steven Caulker in his scouting role.

But he has been succeeded by Kazakh Alisher Apsalyamov, who was on work experience at the club in the summer and who is a friend of owner Vincent Tan's son.

Cardiff are yet to comment.

This lad probably put Football Manager achievements on his CV!

Oh dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24454963

Cardiff have suspended their head of recruitment Iain Moody and replaced him with an unknown 23-year-old who was formerly on work experience.

This lad probably put Football Manager achievements on his CV!

I'd say it was more down to this.
    who is a friend of owner Vincent Tan's son

If it works out then well done, if not the owner will be in for big criticism.

I know its down to that, I was joking!

Incredible decision considering the long working relationship with the manager. I wonder if this is down to the bonus payments row on going at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well they'll save a fortune but giving jobs to buddies, with what I can assume is little to no experience is a receipe for a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Don't think it's that bad. It sounds like something good for a Reading fan who wants to go to all the matches and help his team with performance analysis, maybe work with the coaches while also getting some work experience. I doubt they will be that stressed out. If I got to do something like that with my favourite team for a few months out of cellege I'd be delighted.

That said, he should at least get his expenses.

Advertisement