Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vol au vents

Options
  • 12-04-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All, Have communion coming up and would love to know how to make chicken and mushroom vol au vents properly, literally like the one you get as a starter at a wedding for example. Im ok with all except the sauce. I don't believe a basic white sauce is enough (which a lot of online recipes recommend). Anybody know how the hotels do it???:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Would you try using campbells (erin) condensed soup? either chicken or mushroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mise123

I have tried the soups but would just love to know how they do them for weddings - anybody know??? THanks anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I would fry the mushrooms in a lot of butter over a very low heat for ages, then draw off the fat and use to make the roux. Whisk in a little heated chicken stock at a time finishing with cream. Add in the mushrooms and if you're baking them straight away, the cooked chicken. If you're preparing in advance don't add the chicken until the sauce is completely cool. Finish with finely chopped curly parsley.

Do you need to know how to make the cases or will you buy them?

Ill try that, thank you - Ill buy the cases!!! Just curious, why not add the chicken until sauce is cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 UmmCadburys

Hi , I make chicken and mushroom vol au vonts quiet often . I used to work in a kitchen and this is how we made them .

Do you know how to make burre Maine ? Anyway you can google that and make about half a cup full .

Ok so basically i fry the chicken and mushrooms in olive oil , keep on a low heat to allow the flavour to come out of them , then add some salt and ground black pepper . Next I add some cream ( usually a small carton ) but it depends how many people your cooking it for , and finally some milk ( Again the amount of milk depending hiw many your cooking for ) Allow this mix to simmer and add the buerre maine a spoon at a time and keep stirring so it mixes into the sauce evenly . When the sauce feels to you like it's the right consistency that's it , your done . A good tip is to make it the night before and store in the fridge , them just reheat it slowly in a fresh pot . I find the mix tastes better the next day as the flavours of the chicken and mushrooms soak into the sauce .

Bon Appetit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

tbh I use the Schwartz white wine with herbs sauce and it works perfect!

That's great thank you all v much - Ill keep at it till I get it right!! Would have been cheaper to get a caterer at this stage but am enjoying it at the same time. The reheating suits Ummcadbury so excited about trying this!! thanks again everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Mise123 wrote: »
    Ill try that, thank you - Ill buy the cases!!! Just curious, why not add the chicken until sauce is cool?

You have to be careful with chicken not to leave it semi heated, especially if you're reheating. You could cook the chicken with the mushrooms and let it all cool together but in my experience it tends to absorb too much fat, not leaving enough to make your roux. So in total the chicken should be heated a maximum of twice, each time fully hot through. This is to avoid the risk of food poisoning...you don't want to be the woman with the blurred out face who shudders when she hears the word picnic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissyFit

Thanks Ummcadburys , your recipe worked a treat :)

Advertisement