Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much writing?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi, I'm starting to write up my CSPE Action project at the moment and my teacher read over a few rough answers that I had written out. However she commented on many of them 'Far too much writing!'

I've always written as much as I can as I thought that the worst that can happen by writing extra is not gaining any marks. But can you lose marks by writing more? As in, if you write 20 lines which on their own would be full marks, but then added on 5 lines that were irrelavent, would you no longer get full marks?

This goes for all subjects, not just the CSPE action project.
    I know quality is better than quantity but does writing more actually bring you down?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It won't lose you marks, but it will annoy the corrector as they have to read and correct everything you write.
    It's a bad habit to get into heading towards LC, where you are going to be very stuck for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

spurious wrote: »
    It won't lose you marks, but it will annoy the corrector as they have to read and correct everything you write.
    It's a bad habit to get into heading towards LC, where you are going to be very stuck for time.

Ok thanks, so technically I won't lose marks? I'm not too bad like, I don't write over the lines and stuff...
    And luckily I'm a fast writer, time is never a problem with me :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Thinking about this, would it be preferred if you wrote your answers in bullet-point form rather than paragraphs? Obviously not in subjects like English or Irish but in terms of Geography, Business and what-not?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Thinking about this, would it be preferred if you wrote your answers in bullet-point form rather than paragraphs? Obviously not in subjects like English or Irish but in terms of Geography, Business and what-not?

Yeah that's an idea but I don't think I'd risk it in case the examiner feels like I'm not bothered to write proper sentences.
    I dunno though :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't do them all in bullet points, but running out of time at the end for the last question, absolutely.

Then again, 'long' two or three sentence bullet points would organise your answer in a way that would be handy for the corrector to correct. No reason to write two and a half foolscap page rambling answers on the life of a Renaissance painter.

Please don't tell me about Michelangelo breaking anyone's nose either.
    Or Hitler being a vegetarian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement