Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave Little Dwarves 2

• 12-04-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have a great little game which is so addictive, I have spent hours, days- stretching into months playing it, anyway it worked great on my old laptop with vista running on it, till yes the system board packed in on me.
    Now I have my spanking new Windows 8 laptop and my little dwarves refuse to play on it. I have tried the usual stuff, like compatibility settings with different os and video mode, nothing works. I dont have an actual install of the game, it runs from a folder, (portable game) which i have a shortcut to the exe file.
    Now I have to use an old WindowsXP laptop to play my beloved game, but would love someone to be able to help me get it working in Windows 8. I can send the files folder for you to try and work it oiut, so if you want a little programming challenge, I would be grateful for the help and be re-united with my dwarves again.....:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have you tried downloading it and installing it onto your new machine? Copying a folder and running the exe wont always work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

have you tried downloading it and installing it onto your new machine? Copying a folder and running the exe wont always work.
    the game is like gold dust to find on the internet or on sale anywhere, the folder with the exe file works perfect except on windows8, but to answer your question, I cant find a copy of the game with an install for love nor money, its not even listed on any sites with gogs

whats the company name for the title? also is it Brave Dwarves 2 or Brave little dwarves 2?

whats the company name for the title? also is it Brave Dwarves 2 or Brave little dwarves 2?

Brave Dwarves 2 Deluxe
    version 1.1
    02/16/06

by GameOver-Games
    Distributed by RealNetworks, Inc.

that is bizzare..
    it's like the company went bust or something.

i found it here, however the download links to the company gameover-games and that site seems to be dead. http://www.windows8appstore.com/windowssoftware/brave-dwarves-12/576616/download.html

see for yourself there.

Not sure where else to try really. If i find anything that actually works i'll get back to you.

• Advertisement

that is bizzare..
    it's like the company went bust or something.

yes its mad, every time i find a link to the game or anything relating to it, it is dead links and the company that made it are gone.
    that link for windows8 store is a dead link, believe me this is the most bizarre little game to find on the internet, its like totally wiped off the internet. I have a copy on my ext. hdd and I am glad i kept a copy as I cant find another copy of it anywhere, all links for it is dead links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

if you right click on the exe of the game is there an option to run in compatability(sp?) mode? There was on windows 7 and enabled some xp games(but not all sadly)to play fine.

returnNull wrote: »
    if you right click on the exe of the game is there an option to run in compatability(sp?) mode? There was on windows 7 and enabled some xp games(but not all sadly)to play fine.

yes thats the first thing i tried and i tried every os and video setting, but there is loads of files with the game and if someone knew about programming maybe they would know to change something to get it working

programming wouldnt be any use as they'd need access to the source code. the exe should normally work or at least give you an error message.Is there any icon listed in the game file as setup?try that if there is.

you might just be out of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Have you tried grabbing the demo of it from here:

Brave Dwarves 2 Deluxe

And seeing does it work when installed properly rather than run from the folder?

• Advertisement

found a link to the demo on cnet,maybe dowload it and see if it works on windows 8.

its says its compatible with xp/vista/win7

http://download.cnet.com/Brave-Dwarves-2-Deluxe/3000-2099_4-75323025.html

found a link to the demo on cnet,maybe dowload it and see if it works on windows 8.

EDIT:whoops beaten to it lol

EDIT:whoops beaten to it lol

ya tried just now, and have the same problem with the installed game, it runs the game but everything is in slow motion. I thought i could install the demo if worked and overwrite files to make it full but its still not working in w8

possibly then it mightnt be playable on that OS.

Start looking for a new game!You should be able to find similar/better game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,462 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

have you considered a torrent site?

or what about the program compatibility troubleshooter?

possibly then it mightnt be playable on that OS.

Start looking for a new game!You should be able to find similar/better game

thats just giving up on it, it can play in vista, it should play in win8, its not a like its mac or something, its all windows

Headshot wrote: »
    have you considered a torrent site?

cannot find a copy of the game with an install/setup file on it, all the sites only have the portable app when unzipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

One possible solution to all this is a VM running XP on your Windows 8 machine.

This is probably a lot of work - first you have to choose a VM - microsoft's free hyperV or VMWare player for instance. I'm really not sure which is better for getting a game up and running - VM support for things like 3d acceleration versions is patchy - but given it's an older game that might be fine.

Then you need to install a guest OS (in this case XP) in the VM then install the game in that OS.

As I said it's a fair amount of work, especially for someone who's not an outright techie and even then there's no guarantee it'll work.

But it's an option.

embireland wrote: »
    thats just giving up on it, it can play in vista, it should play in win8, its not a like its mac or something, its all windows

3 different OS's-the game was never developed for vista/win7 or win8.The fact it runs on any OS is no gaurantee it will run on the next version

ya , I know what you mean, but its runs in windows8 but it goes in slow motion, like the game speed is slower than normal

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    One possible solution to all this is a VM running XP on your Windows 8 machine.

This is probably a lot of work - first you have to choose a VM - microsoft's free hyperV or VMWare player for instance. I'm really not sure which is better for getting a game up and running - VM support for things like 3d acceleration versions is patchy - but given it's an older game that might be fine.

Then you need to install a guest OS (in this case XP) in the VM then install the game in that OS.

As I said it's a fair amount of work, especially for someone who's not an outright techie and even then there's no guarantee it'll work.

But it's an option.

I like your thinking, exactly what i need. I am downloading VMWare Workstation 9 from a warez site and hopefully it will do the job, let you know soon.....;)

I downloaded VMware workstation 9 and installed, then put on windows xp, tried the game through the software and still, it went a little faster, but not much improvement at all. Giving up now, its never going to work in windows 8.

Advertisement