Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost keys

• 12-04-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

I had a bad day today. First the earth came off the battery on the r1 on my way to work and I was stuck on the side of the road for an hour. Now I've gone and lost the key and I've no spare! Is there any way to get a replacement? I've read on US forums that a good locksmith can cut a key using just the lock. Is this true? Man I wish I prioritized getting that key cut!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i would imagine that the yamaha dealer can get replacement keys for you, you'll need proof of ownership and id obviously. are the R1 keys coded to the ignition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

No it's a 99 so theres no immobiliser or alarm. I had to remove the ignition so I could move the bike because the steering lock was on. The bolts werent ones with a security pattern either so I'm kind of worried that the locks may have been changed before. Would the dealership still be able cut a key different to the original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

sean61 wrote: »
    No it's a 99 so theres no immobiliser or alarm. I had to remove the ignition so I could move the bike because the steering lock was on. The bolts werent ones with a security pattern either so I'm kind of worried that the locks may have been changed before. Would the dealership still be able cut a key different to the original?

locksmith can cut the key for sure. it happend to me years back, i was quoted 180€ but still better against dealer (480€ - honda).

i know it sux and the tank is the same key so replace the ignition isnt the best option. i feel sorry for ya.

where did you lost it?
    if i am you i would call local garda station and there might be very little chance that someone hand it over to them and you may recover it. you never know its worth a try.

and dealer will cost you fortune.. just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Call around all the breakers and see if they have a lock set and key that would fit your bike? Fingers crossed you get it sorted for as little as possible either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

removing the tank lock with no key will involve the key company as well. i am telling you the cheapest way here is either find the lost key or get a new cut.

• Advertisement

Its lost in the factory i work in. We spent ages looking for it yesterday but there's no sign of it. I cant leave the bike parked there for long so i have to get it moved today but I don't want to go buying a new key or lock in case it turns up somewhere next week! I'll try ringing a couple of locksmiths now...

Lockdoctor.ie say they can cut me a new key for e80-100 if i post them the ignition. Its not going to get it moved today but at least I know i wont be stuck if i don't find they key next week

I removed the ignition and brought it to Colleran locksmiths in Galway. They said they could take apart the lock and have a new key for me Monday or Tuesday and it should only cost e25 which is reasonably priced to be fair! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

sean61 wrote: »
    I removed the ignition and brought it to Colleran locksmiths in Galway. They said they could take apart the lock and have a new key for me Monday or Tuesday and it should only cost e25 which is reasonably priced to be fair! :D

That's some good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Sometimes it was helpful that my old Bandit could be started with a teaspoon.....luckily the f*^kers who robbed it didnt know that....

• Advertisement
Advertisement