Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a laptop and spec seems different to what I bought???

Options
  • 12-04-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I bought a Dell Vostro 3360 with a hard drive of 500gb, I just checked the computer properties and it says 102gb. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something?

I've just checked the invoice and order from Dell and both state 500GB Serial ATA (7200 RPM) however when I go to Computer > right click on C > Properties > 68.7gb free of 102gb.

Am I missing something here? There is no other drive listed so is there an extra 400gb knocking around somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

That's odd, the figure you report goes well beyond a Windows install and recovery partition. Go to Device Manager and search for the HDD model online, it should be under 'Disk Drives'.

You could also check all of the contents of the HDD with the GParted Live CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Check the partitions

Control Panel > Management Tools > Computer Management > Storage

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

T-K-O wrote: »
    Check the partitions

Control Panel > Management Tools > Computer Management > Storage

Just checked and there are a about five other items listed which including the C drive comes to 119.1gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Below that you should see Disk 0, is that partitioned?

Maybe take a screen shot, it's been awhile I used windows

T-K-O wrote: »
    Below that you should see Disk 0, is that partitioned?

Maybe take a screen shot, it's been awhile I used windows

Disk 0 Basic 119.12 with no partition.

Am I missing something?

Not sure how to insert screen grabs on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Go to Device Manager and search for the HDD model online, it should be under 'Disk Drives'....

Like EP said. Get the model no of the drive. That will tell you the drive when you look it up on the web. Easiest way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Did you buy it new from Dell or was it second hand?

deconduo wrote: »
    Did you buy it new from Dell or was it second hand?

Bought direct from Dell. I went for the 500gb hard drive over the SSD because there was a huge difference in price. Also just checked it against the invoice I got from Dell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

censuspro wrote: »
    Bought direct from Dell. I went for the 500gb hard drive over the SSD because there was a huge difference in price. Also just checked it against the invoice I got from Dell.

Go to your Device Manager, and list everything under the Disc Drives category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe you're lucky and they gave you a SSD :D

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Maybe you're lucky and they gave you a SSD :D

I think you're right as I just checked the model number and its a Samsung 128 SSD. The only problem is I think I'm going to have to return it as the screen keeps flickering and I've already had an engineer out to replace the motherboard so I'm looking for a refund or replacement. Its a shame because the laptop is really fast and boots very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

the laptop is really fast and boots very quickly.

Well, take note of what you have and insist on a replacement with the very same specs, since you have grown so fond of it. ;)

Torqay wrote: »
    Well, take note of what you have and insist on a replacement with the very same specs, since you have grown so fond of it. ;)

I dunno, had a play with the Surface RT in PC world today and it was v nice. Would have to wait for the Pro version tho and dont know when thats gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I bought a Dell Vostro 3360 with a hard drive of 500gb, I just checked the computer properties and it says 102gb. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something?

I've just checked the invoice and order from Dell and both state 500GB Serial ATA (7200 RPM) however when I go to Computer > right click on C > Properties > 68.7gb free of 102gb.

Am I missing something here? There is no other drive listed so is there an extra 400gb knocking around somewhere?

open up windows control panel then administrative management then disk manager and see if the hd was partitioned and there is 398gb of unpartition space on it

Advertisement