Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is Custom???

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

CUSTOM. Is it a word thats used a too freely???
    What defines a custom rifle over a factory rifle wearing aftermarket parts:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I suppose a true custom would be very specifically built from scratch. But have said that I suppose it does need a platform to start from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Custom for me is anything that is not standard or "pre-made". Items that are specifically made to a customer's choices or something made from individual yet differently branded components.

If you have a factory rifle, and but a Krieger barrel on it. It's not a custom rifle, but more accurately described as a customised rifle. Or as others say a Remmy (example) with custom/Krieger barrel.

If you have an action from brand A, barrel from brand B, stock from brand C, trigger from brand D, and stick them altogether then it's a full custom.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I've seen a few times, rifles with a new/different stock described as custom. Would you say there is a minimum number of components needed to achieve custom status. Like say take a tikka trigger and replace the spring with a new lighter version.

Don't think there is a number you can put on it to class it as custom. The only thing that can be safely considered custom is a full build. Every component.

In your example i would call it a rifle with "brand name" stock. Others may call it a rifle with custom stock. Their choice.

Frankly it's not something that bothers me too much. I mean if a lad changes his barrel or stock or both and calls it custom then so be it. I mean basically it is. The word custom, to me, is something done to a customer's desires.

I can understand your question though. You get someone that puts a bolt knob on (only) and all of a sudden it's custom.

Suppose the most true way to describe it would be a part(s) ordered specifically to improve or make better a rifle or gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

To me custom means choosing an action and building a rifle around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

To me custom would mean made from scratch and to an individuals' measurements and specifications. A bit like the B25 shotguns FN/Browning still makes to order.

Adaptations and changes to stocks, actions, barrels etc on an of the shelf firearm would be modifications in my opinion. Having said that if you start of with a standard Remington 700 in .308 and spend the necessary time and money getting modifications done you could practically end up with something quite close to a tailor made Accuracy International.

But what about the barrel, stock, bedding, crown, trigger, even the chambering.

A custom rifle does not end at the action. Nor does an action on it's own create a custom rifle. The other thing is, and i've heard this one personally, that a "factory" action would not classify a rifle as being custom. Being a massed produced action does not take from the fact that the rifle it is a part of can be a custom rifle.

Fact is Remington, RPA, Savage, etc will all provide you with a fully built rifle, but they also provide the actions for you to customise your own build. Same with H&S, McMillan, etc. hey provide custom pieces such as stocks, but also do fully built rifles.

So if someone had a Remmy action, Bartlein barrel, Robertson stock, Jewell trigger. How could you not class that as custom. As said above i have no gripe if a lad says he has a custom rifle yet only changed the barrel. Unless i was buying it it doesn't matter. Even then once i know that the only customisation is the barrel then what does it matter what it's called.
    Adaptations and changes to stocks, actions, barrels etc on an of the shelf firearm would be modifications in my opinion.
    I'd agree there. I've heard people calling it modifications, others call is customisation, and others say custom. However as you say;
    if you start of with a standard Remington 700 in .308 and spend the necessary time and money getting modifications done you could practically end up with something quite close to a tailor made Accuracy International
    I've seen rifles, that over time, go from being a factory rifle to custom by modifying it with newer custom pieces until almost nothing of the original gun is left. However once the process begins the rifle is no longer a factory rifle like anyone else can go buy off the shelf, and is cusomtised.

Now if the wording is the only issue then there is nothing anyone can do. Modify, customise, custom. It's a matter of choice really. Like the whole "weapon v firearm" debate. I still hear lads, shooting donkey's years, calling them weapons.

For example. My old F-Class rifle. It started off life as an out of the box factory rifle.
    Over time i had the barrel changed, stock changed, trigger changed (and subsequently changed back), bedding done, etc. All to suit my likes/wants. The only original part was the action, and bolt. Now what would class it as not being custom considering i can buy just the action and bolt from Savage, and add all the other custom pieces and build the exact same gun.

So is it custom if i buy the parts separately, and build a gun where none existed. Or is it custom because i changed one rifle into another? Or is it both/neither?

Another point. Do you think the brand of the action makes a rifle custom, just by being a non massed produced brand?

Do you think the brand of the action makes a rifle custom, just by being a non massed produced brand?

Not at all. Yeah It'd be great if we could build on a BAT/Borden/Stiller but there's nowt wrong with using a factory action as the base. A lot of the older Tikka actions make good platforms

Just to say, i wasn't being a smart arse with my question in the last post. In case it came across as such.

It really is a matter of terminology. I keep saying this, but it is true. There are three categories;
    • Those that call any modification, custom
    • Those that call only full rifle builds as custom
    • Those that call significant changes/modifications as custom.

I just go with what people say themselves. It would be safer to insult a man's wife than his gun. So if someone tells me it's custom, whether i can see it is or not, then it's custom.;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Its a hard one to call, I have 2 rifles and would call neither of them custom...The only thing left unaltered on one rifle is the action and barrel. On the other rifle the only things left unaltered are the action,barrel and magazine system.

So they are far from being factory rifles but still wouldn't class them as custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

(FIRST time BUYER) What if you go in to a gun shop and buy a gun that you like for shooting you'r entended quarry (rabbit, fox,deer)and it has a few modifications done by the last owner and you are none the wiser just love the gun and it fit's like a glove????????
    Is it an obligation to the gun dealer to specify that the gun has been customized?
    as little to a thumb hole stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

The only original parts of my remington 204 are the action and floorplate.

I just call it a customised remington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No they would'nt be, and i would say there are a few that would'nt even know themselves.:P

Advertisement