Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - Paying part of the rent before arriving...

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey, was looking to get a few people's opinions on this.

I'm going on my first J1 this year. I've always been told never, ever pay a deposit or part of the rent before you actually see the place and I've actually had past experience being burned by not following that advice before.

However, where we're going - a lot of landlords seem to be asking for huge deposits to be put down now. But paying a few grand now, like what security do you have? And what happens when you get to the place and it turns out to be a kip? I've learned before that photos can be very, very deceptive. How have people managed this?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It depends on where you are going. If you are going to NY, NY is the twighlight zone when it comes to rent. They want lots of deposit and security money because basically once you are there it is nigh impossible to evict you, even if you don't pay your rent for months on end.

In other places, don't pay your rent and you are out - so they are less demanding about deposits.

I wouldn't hand over any money until I had a lease or legal contract in my hand. And yes you should see the place first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I can understand your caution, but also the landlord's- if he doesn;t get a deposit, you may never show up.
    Most people stay in a hostel for a week or so and look for a place when they are there in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Most landlords in the US want first months rent + last months rent up front. This means that it will cost you thousands of dollars in advance.We went over last summer and we had to pay 2600 before we even moved in. If you are financially restrained i would suggest that you don't sign a lease. Instead you should check around for a room share or even a cheap hostel for a few weeks.Which part of the US are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to Newport RI, and the accommodation there is really expensive so paying first months rent and last months rent would be a substantial amount of money.

Because of it being so pricey it seems like I'd be best off trying to find the cheaper available accommodation now, incase when I go over there that's all gone and all that's left are the insanely priced houses everyone else managed to avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

First and last months' rent it pretty standard in the US.......but I would advise going the route of staying in a hostel at first and looking for a place to rent after you arrive. Most apartment buildings, if they have pictures at all, show the best room in the building (often the building managers) and what you end up getting could be quite different........that's the problem with photos, if there's one that shows something that the landlord doesn't want you to see, it just doesn't go up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement