Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching a dog to swim?

• 12-04-2013 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Out walking today along the canal and I couldn't see the smallest one. Looked around and out of nowhere she crawls up the bank of the canal. She was drenched and she didn't look too happy. :) She had fallen in.

Despite walking along the canal or beside a lake most days, none of my dogs (cockers) like swimming. Just wondering should I have trained them when they were younger. I always thought if a dog liked water they would swim naturally. (My dogs would be of a show breed rather than working if that made a difference.)

I remember once seeing a guy on the canal with 2 large dogs - 1 adult and 1 pup (can't remember the breed). He was teaching the pup to swim by throwing a stick into the canal and literally lobbing the poor pup in after it. Surely that can't be the way to do it?

How do you train a dog to swim in a canal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not sure about a canal as they have no choice but to swim from the second they get in (I think? No banks?).

Harley started with us on either side of a shallow river. He could wade across. As the year progressed it got deeper and he didn't even realise he was swimming I think. He loves it now.

The other fella, doesn't like swimming, he isn't really built for it. He will cross water and follow Harley in sometimes, but doesn't actually paddle. He also shakes "water off" even when he's bone dry but Harley is wet. :o

Here is one of Phoes first attempts about a year ago.

Do you have anywhere other than a canal to start them off with? Gentle sloping sides, reasonably shallow water and a favourite toy. Maybe the beach, you can go in and encourage them in after you. They'd really enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Good video - made it in the end!

I suppose the lake would be the best option for me. Not sure about the older dogs - might have left it too late. If it rains heavily they are looking for shelter.

I got a new pup recently and I think he might be up for it.

Sometimes along the canal or the lake, I come across owners throwing a ball in and their dog diving in to retrieve it. Its great to see (and great exercise.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's great fun for them and to be honest when I'm feeling a bit lazy a 20 min swim will knacker my boys as much as a long walk. Maybe if you can get the pup swimming the older ones might decide to follow him in. Just take it slowly with him and have loads of patience. I'd still recommend going in with him. It's a lot of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I take my pom to hydrotherapy sessions in Kildare on a regular basis for his cruciate injury. He hates it.
    Apparently long haired dogs don't like swimming at all.
    the htdrotherapist there does rent out her pool to people who would like to get their dogs used to water and she provides wet suits so you can get in with them. Pm me if you would like the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭micar

my black lab cross hates swimming. Brought her to the beach a few times and carried her out and slowly dropped her into the water. She turned around and immediately for the shore. Then she'd run away from me if I tried to go over to her or tried to encourage her close to the waters edge.

My sister on the other hand has a cocker spaniel pup. I brought her out to the beach and did as above and she loved it.

I think it has to do with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I had a Malamute when i lived in Australia. She would tolerate walking in the water at the beach to cool off (although she was on the leash so didn't really have much choice about it) but as soon as it became deep enough that she had to swim she hated it. To be fair to her though Mals are not great water dogs. I thinkmit really depends on the breed and their early experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i find the best way to get reluctant dogs to swim is in shallow water walk in yourself and dont force them to follow eventually they will get the idea if its ok for you to be in there just let them paddle in their comfort zone for a few visits but its a bit early in the year to be introducing dogs to water for the first time its a bit cold wait a few more weeks and under no circumstances throw them in out of there depth thats a sure way of frightening them off for life

jimf wrote: »
    i find the best way to get reluctant dogs to swim is in shallow water walk in yourself and dont force them to follow eventually they will get the idea if its ok for you to be in there just let them paddle in their comfort zone for a few visits but its a bit early in the year to be introducing dogs to water for the first time its a bit cold wait a few more weeks and under no circumstances throw them in out of there depth thats a sure way of frightening them off for life

I live near a small river and she'll go into that but only up to the bottom of her belly. She won't go deeper. She loves that but total immersion she doesn't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

micar wrote: »
    I live near a small river and she'll go into that but only up to the bottom of her belly. She won't go deeper. She loves that but total immersion she doesn't like.

then try as suggested by walking in yourself even maybe picking her up and holding her under the stomach so she has to paddle if she has a toy she likes to retrieve this may help as well or an older dog she knows may help to get her in a bit deeper usually they start swimming without noticing it themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Our dogs have to swim or at least wade, but new pup is more reluctant than I thought he'd be. OK so he's only 15 weeks and he'll stand in the water but he's not tried swimming yet, in fact he's clever enough to pick a shallow route across a pool on the beach or across a river. Our old JRT just takes the shortest route come what may. Pup is a New Foundland x that looks pure newfee so I sort of expected him to be more interested in swimming? I won't be forcing him, all our walks cross water but only a few inches if you take the longer way around. Older dog a possible Czech Wolf dog cross always takes the deep swimming route and during the summer you can't keep him out of the river (runs along side of garden). I think there are different motivation issues here with the dogs, older dog will do anything to gain possession of a stick so is happy to swim out in deep water to get one, new pup isn't stick orientated so isn't bothered, if he doesn't take to the water sometime in the summer I'll see if I can find what will motivate him, his main motivation other than food (never known a dog eat like it) is people particularly children so may be he'll follow kids into the sea in the summer? JRT just does what he needs to to stay the distance on a walk, he'll swim if he has to but only if he thinks he's going to miss out on a walk.

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    then try as suggested by walking in yourself even maybe picking her up and holding her under the stomach so she has to paddle if she has a toy she likes to retrieve this may help as well or an older dog she knows may help to get her in a bit deeper usually they start swimming without noticing it themselves

I've tried that. I think she panics as she can't touch the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Our cocker loves swimming. She started by just walking in at the edge of a lake. She is very food oriented so we throw treats in at the water's edge at the start.

She is also ball obsessed so we would throw the ball in at the edge and praise her to high heaven when she got it and brought it back, over the course of a month we threw it further and further until she was swimming. She's now obsessed with swimming. This is definitely the time of year to start them swimming.

Advertisement