Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Keter or similar type shed

Options
  • 12-04-2013 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi , I am looking for a plastic maintenance free shed but they seem so expensive everywhere. Can anyone point me towards a reasonably priced one about the size that could hold a freezer and a tumble dryer outside in the back garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Hi..bought mine last year from woodies, a duramate 8*8. It looks as same as ketter in style , shape, i bought coz it was much cheaper than ketter. But, once built, found out there was very poor head room, & am only 5.6 feet. It's really a manufacture flaw, & guess it was sold by woodies at a clearance price. I would strongly recommend that u go for a ketter one, my neighbor has one and its much better than duramate. Found out that only Argos.ie were selling ketter sheds, that time, but more pricey than the uk argos and other uk ketter retailers. B& q used to sell them, but now they have some other brand or may be their own brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

peaceboi wrote: »
    Hi..bought mine last year from woodies, a duramate 8*8. It looks as same as ketter in style , shape, i bought coz it was much cheaper than ketter. But, once built, found out there was very poor head room, & am only 5.6 feet. It's really a manufacture flaw, & guess it was sold by woodies at a clearance price. I would strongly recommend that u go for a ketter one, my neighbor has one and its much better than duramate. Found out that only Argos.ie were selling ketter sheds, that time, but more pricey than the uk argos and other uk ketter retailers. B& q used to sell them, but now they have some other brand or may be their own brand.

B&Q do still sell them as far as I know.

I got an 8 x 6 double door and double window Keter shed from them for 400 euro a few years ago.

Also Plantagen Garden Centres and Orchard garden centres sell them too.Woodies sell them too.

Argos do sell Keter sheds...but the prices are a bit more than what I got mine for from B&Q.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=shed&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Perhaps go for a metal shed,they are maintenance free & cheaper.

zerks wrote: »

So are the Keter Sheds...fcuking fantastic actually.

Goes together so easy,and tough as old boots too.They also come with a very solid,thick,grippy base floor too.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    So are the Keter Sheds...fcuking fantastic actually.

Goes together so easy,and tough as old boots too.They also come with a very solid,thick,grippy base floor too.:)

I was always suspicious of plastic sheds but that one you posted the pic of looks decent.Expensive though,I spotted a metal one in Argos which is a good size & reasonably priced.If the op has room they should go for a bigger shed,especially if they are putting dryers & freezers in it.
    I have 2 wooden sheds which were pretreated & I also painted them,that's 5 or 6 years ago & they are still perfect.Once the base of them isn't sitting directly on the ground they are fine.(having stone & moisture barrier underneath helps also)

• Advertisement

I was always suspicious of plastic sheds but that one you posted the pic of looks decent.Expensive though,I spotted a metal one in Argos which is a good size & reasonably priced.If the op has room they should go for a bigger shed,especially if they are putting dryers & freezers in it.
    I have 2 wooden sheds which were pretreated & I also painted them,that's 5 or 6 years ago & they are still perfect.Once the base of them isn't sitting directly on the ground they are fine.(having stone & moisture barrier underneath helps also)

Keter 8 x 6...twin doors and windows and long adjustable double shelving unit in it too.

400 euro in B&Q a few years back.

Really well impressed with it.:)

Yep,once a wooden shed isnt directly on the ground,then its all good in the hood.:)

Homebase also sell Keter plastic sheds.

But they will probably be an "order only" job.

So expect to wait between 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.

Maybe an idea to wait for Homebase to have a "20% off" weekend though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Personally, I wouldn't advise on the metal ones. Following considerable research, I got an 8x6 (different colour) a couple of years ago from Argos. Thought it would be maintenance free. A pain to install (took 2 very experienced DIY'ers over a day to put up and that was not including pouring a concrete base, although was expecting this from the reviews I read beforehand. You will need 2 people and a wind-free day!). It started to rust after only a couple of months. Manufacturer (Arrow in the States) confirmed the 10 year guarantee was only against 'perforation rust' i.e. it actually has to go in a hole! It also bent in high wind and the roof forms condensation and drips onto everything in the shed, sort of defeating the purpose. Ended up having to insulate the roof! They are drafty and the doors don't slide very smoothly. Oh, also very noisy when it rains! If I was buying again, I'd spend twice the amount and go for timber or one of the much more expensive proper metal sheds (as in dearer than timber) - these have a coating that prevents rust - the Argos type have a 'polyester enamel finish' - sound impressive but it isn't! :rolleyes:

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' is certainly true! I have one of the small Keter outdoor storage units (not a shed as such) and it's grand - the only thing is be careful in freezing weather, as the plastic becomes very brittle....put my foot through one knocking snow off boot...ever so gently! ;) At least the plastic ones don't need to be painted or treated but possibly easier to break into...although I haven't tried! Plus you are spared the expense of putting a solid floor down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

probably twice what I can afford to pay and maybe slightly too big but what do people think of this offer ?

http://www.adverts.ie/sheds-storage/brand-new-keter-apollo-8x8-shed-delivered-professionally-installed-nationwide/2503671

probably twice what I can afford to pay and maybe slightly too big but what do people think of this offer ?

http://www.adverts.ie/sheds-storage/brand-new-keter-apollo-8x8-shed-delivered-professionally-installed-nationwide/2503671

Yeah,not bad.

Id haggle him or her on price and get him to drop down to his/her lowest price.

He says he has a business website aswell,so ask him for that...so you can get some sort of specific business address/location off of him/her too.

Might be worth a gamblle.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but I am considering getting a small Keter storage shed for holding a pram, Argos have this one for €129 at the moment (plus €18 delivery fee) and wondering if that seems good value and if it would be suitable for storing a pram?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7058316/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/Trail/searchtext%3ESTORE.htm

That'd be perfect and when you don't need the pram anymore use it to store firewood,it'd be wasted using it for bin storage.

Advertisement