Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Club and Courses

Options
  • 13-04-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi! I've been interested in photography for a few years and I completed a photography course in Dun Laoghaire last year. Just wondering if anybody knows good camera clubs or courses that maybe starting in the summer? I really need a big push to take more pictures because I haven't been using my camera much lately.

I know this maybe stupid but I'm 24 so on a social side would like to be around people my age and obviously older (not in a bad way) as I know I will learn a lot from them since they would have great experience in photography. Finding it hard to find courses and camer club websites on google! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

The folks from this forum meet up and organize different things sometimes here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1066

If you're interested in getting into flash portrait photography, check out the Dublin Strobist Facebook group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/dublinstrobist/

The IOP also organize free and paid for expeditions:
    https://www.facebook.com/instituteofphotographyireland

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

condra wrote: »
    The folks from this forum meet up and organize different things sometimes here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1066

If you're interested in getting into flash portrait photography, check out the Dublin Strobist Facebook group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/dublinstrobist/

The IOP also organize free and paid for expeditions:
    https://www.facebook.com/instituteofphotographyireland

Thank You! I'll have a look at those links.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

[QUOTE=Niamh_101;84122241I really need a big push to take more pictures because I haven't been using my camera much lately. [/QUOTE]

Here's a big PUSH!

Get your camera and go take some fooking pics! How hard can it be?

Here's a big PUSH!

Get your camera and go take some fooking pics! How hard can it be?

I know I'm awful. I just need to go over notes and settings on the camera again. But you are right. It's not hard. Ha this might have helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

offshoot meet on a monday night in cabinteely

www.offshoot.ie

next monday is a competition judging night, the following week we are doing a location shoot with a model

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

stcstc wrote: »
    offshoot meet on a monday night in cabinteely

www.offshoot.ie

next monday is a competition judging night, the following week we are doing a location shoot with a model

this is litrally 5mins from me and still havent made it down

yea i know, get your act together :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Niamh_101 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been interested in photography for a few years and I completed a photography course in Dun Laoghaire last year. Just wondering if anybody knows good camera clubs or courses that maybe starting in the summer?

Out of a curiosity why you need another course?

sebphoto wrote: »
    Out of a curiosity why you need another course?

It was only a beginners course. Have been looking for courses online to improve camera skills and learn more about photography but the times clash with my job. So thought it would be easier to ask people on this :)

It was only a beginners course. Have been looking for courses online to improve camera skills and learn more about photography but the times clash with my job. So thought it would be easier to ask people on this :)

What kind of camera you have?
    Practice, practice and practice! :)

• Advertisement

What kind of camera you have?
    Practice, practice and practice! :)

Nikon D40 X

Great. Now what you want to learn? :)

Great. Now what you want to learn? :)

The main thing I want to improve on is the different settings like shutter speed. I never know which shutter speed to use for different pictures.

The main thing I want to improve on is the different settings like shutter speed. I never know which shutter speed to use for different pictures.

That depends from your requirements, but keep an eye on light meter and then decide.
    For example if you want to freeze the scene then use short shutter speed (e.g. 1/500 sec, 1/1000 etc.), however all depends from circumstances, available light, ISO and aperture. If shutter speed will be long then you might need a tripod.

This is interesting:
    aperture-ss.gif

Ask questions, google and practice :)

That depends from your requirements, but keep an eye on light meter and then decide.
    For example if you want to freeze the scene then use short shutter speed (e.g. 1/500 sec, 1/1000 etc.), however all depends from circumstances, available light, ISO and aperture. If shutter speed will be long then you might need a tripod.

This is interesting:
    aperture-ss.gif

Ask questions, google and practice :)

Thank You :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

If you are in South County Dublin then you really should check out www.offshoot.ie - it's a very active and informative Club. You can attend 3 meetings as a guest (paying a €3 sub each night) and then decide if you want to join or not. Guarantee you will learn loads for each of those €3 investments. Tonight, 8pm in the hall of St Bridgids Girls National School just at the end of Park Drive in the Park housing estate, Cabinteely. Joining a Club has brought on my photography a lot.

Where abouts is Offshoot in Cabinteely? Thinking about joining it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I know I'm awful. I just need to go over notes and settings on the camera again.

Never mind going over notes, find an event that your interested in, find a good spot, put your setting to manual. Whilst remembering your exposure triangle take a photo and adjust your settings until you get it right, making your own notes along the way.

What are you shooting with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Where abouts is Offshoot in Cabinteely? Thinking about joining it on Monday.

turn off n11 south bound at dunnes stores, come t a t junction, take the left, then first right in an estate called 'the park' follow road all way up and you willl see school to left, in there.

I'm also considering going there on Monday, usually too pooped every other week.

turn off n11 south bound at dunnes stores, come t a t junction, take the left, then first right in an estate called 'the park' follow road all way up and you willl see school to left, in there.

I'm also considering going there on Monday, usually too pooped every other week.

I'm thinking of going on the 29th of April. I checked their events page online and one of the tags is Prospective Members so I'll probably go to that.

• Advertisement

Farmlife wrote: »
    Never mind going over notes, find an event that your interested in, find a good spot, put your setting to manual. Whilst remembering your exposure triangle take a photo and adjust your settings until you get it right, making your own notes along the way.

What are you shooting with?

I'll be going to Washington in a few months so 4th of July will be a great day to take pictures. I've a Nikon D40x

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I'll be going to Washington in a few months so 4th of July will be a great day to take pictures. I've a Nikon D40x

Sounds good, It's like our paddys day to them, but don't hold off till then, the last thing you want is to hold off and get it wrong on the day, go into town or any kind of gathering and snap about and mess with your settings.

Whilst on a trip I got asked to cover a nascar race in Vegas with full credentials, when I'd never took a photo of a moving car before. So the day before I pulled into the side of the freeway and snapped away at cars just to get a feel for it.

fair play to you for wanting to use manual. some people fork out for a dslr and are happy with the lil green dial

Found a camera club! Going on Monday :) Thanks for all the info and advice!!

niamh

make sure to come say hi to me,i am the noisy one at the front

we are doing camera maintenance stuff on monday

stcstc wrote: »
    niamh

make sure to come say hi to me,i am the noisy one at the front

we are doing camera maintenance stuff on monday

Yeah I saw that on the website. Just trying to charge the battery now!

Advertisement