Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-63 LPT question

Options
  • 13-04-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I'm a recent LL and had had thought that NPPR hand the HH charge were decided on each dwelling

Where as the LPT is on the building...

Makes sense or so I thought until I got my letter today and each unit is being charged.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

discodavie wrote: »
    I'm a recent LL and had had thought that NPPR hand the HH charge were decided on each dwelling

Where as the LPT is on the building...

Makes sense or so I thought until I got my letter today and each unit is being charged.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?
    I don't know where you got the idea it was on the building. It is on each unit/dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bedsits are now illegal anyway. Each unit is or should be self contained by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

murphaph wrote: »
    Bedsits are now illegal anyway. Each unit is or should be self contained by now.

Each unit I own is up to code but as the buildings cannot be broken up and units sold off indivually I assumed that the tax on the property would be the saleable asset as that us what the cost of the tax is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

Each unit is unit/dwelling is separate, so with bedsits (in most cases) the LPT is less than the old system which was also based per unit. Bedsits are far from illegal, once they have their own bathroom, proper cooker, fridge, freezer and own heating etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Tow wrote: »
    Each unit is unit/dwelling is separate, so with bedsits (in most cases) the LPT is less than the old system which was also based per unit. Bedsits are far from illegal, once they have their own bathroom, proper cooker, fridge, freezer and own heating etc.
    That's a self contained flat you've described, not a bedsit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

Still a bedsit in my mind, a flat is what Irish estate agents in the late 80's started to call appartments!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While you will need to check the legislation, I would expect LPT is per unit, not per building, especially as they use a band system. While it is rare for such buildings to have multiple owners, that isn't to say there are aren't some that do. The value of each unit can be determined by taking the value of the building and apportioning it to each unit in proportion to the rents.

The LPT on a low value unit will be much less than than the current Household Charge + NPPR. For example, a building with 10 units worth €500,000 total would have paid €3,000 ((€100+€200)x10) last year, but €450 (€45x10) in 2013 and €900 (€90x10) in 2014 and 2015.

Imagine two buildings next to each other with 4 apartments each in Ballynowhere, each worth €20,000. Each building is worth €80,000.

Building 1 has 4 owner occupiers. Your hypothesis would have them pay four band 1 charges

Building 2 has a landlord and 4 tenants. Your hypothesis would have him pay one band 1 charges
    Tow wrote: »
    Still a bedsit in my mind, a flat is what Irish estate agents in the late 80's started to call appartments!

Bed-sit - a bedroom-sitting room, not self contained as it is usually missing a kitchen and/or bathroom.

Studio - similar to a bed-sit - but is self contained as is has it's own kitchen and bathroom.

Flat* - a complete residential unit with separate bedroom and living room spaces. Typically one of many in a building that originally was a single unit. Originally, a flat comprised an entire floor of a building, but that is no longer necessarily the case.

Apartment - a complete residential unit with separate bedroom and living room spaces. Typically one of many in a building that was designed for such use.

*Also, in Dublin in particular, 'flat' includes a council owned apartment.

Advertisement