Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Age Were You When You Got Into Metal?

• 13-04-2013 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

What age were most of you when you first got into metal and how did you get into metal? I myself I was 19 I started listening to (planet rock) and (total rock) radio stations with radio stations available with sky tv-I started off listening to old 80s metal (iron maiden ) (megadeth) (testament) and (metallica) besides 80s metal I like some nu metal (disturbed) (deftones) (korn) and (drowning pool) besides 80s and nu metal- I also like (in flames) (hammerfall) (machine head) and (iced earth)- Im into metal for years now it would be the main music genre Id listen to-besides metal what other genres would most of you listen to? I myself other genres Id only really listen it would be indie and classical music.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Secondary school opened my eyes to so many of this world's delights :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Was about 12 as well, late first year or early second year in secondary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

6. But I grew up since then.

(only joking)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

About 14/15 I think. Listened to a lot of Kerrang :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Around 13 or so I reckon, started off with bands like RATM and now I'm a huge fan of death metal, black metal, and grindcore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

About 16 or so. Had a thirst for music, tried indie and dance - did nothing for me. My brother-in-law was into classic rock and the metal standards, so i borrowed a bunch of tapes and CDs off him to give them a listen - and never looked back. All the usual standards (Master of Puppets, Peace Sells and Powerslave are the 3 albums that hooked me properly).

Nowadays I'd say death metal is my fave sub-genre of metal, and most of my fave metal bands would be considered 'tech-death' (namely latter-day Death, Meshuggah, Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence, Gorguts, Obscura, Alarum, Decrepit Birth, Augury, Exivious, Disincarnate, etc.). I'm heavily into old prog rock and jazz too, with a decent helping of soul, disco, funk and most pop music from the 50s through to the 80s on the side. (and I even discovered decent dance/electronica along the way via the likes Squarepusher, FSOL, Mu-siq, etc.).

I guess I listen to pretty much every genre of music really (hip hop, r'n'b, country, classical included, not as much as some of the stuff above though) and instead of having a big TV as the focus of attention in my living room I have a big hifi instead (currently, Exhumed's 'Anatomy Is Destiny' is spinning on it!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd say probably 19 or 20, I was always fascinated yet, admittedly somewhat spooked by metal when I 14 for example because it was too heavy, but the opening guitar solo for Trial by Fire by Testament or One by Metallica really got my interest and I always had a disposition for heavy rock. As I got more and more dissatisfied with indie rock which had become more and more simplistic musically and lyrically cryptic whilst being meaningless and not about subject matter I found interesting, and since classic rock bands weren't doing anything new I drifted towards metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Can't remember, either 12 oder 13, my cousin was listening to Deep Purple, KISS and ACDC...and got me into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

I would say around 10/11. Would be round at a mates house whos older teenage brother was a big metal head with all the posters on the wall plus loads of records.
    we all thought he was well cool and when he was not around we would crank the **** out of his hifi. mix of vinyl and tape. Remember hearing cd for the first time in this house iron maiden (amazed by the sound quality.) Stuff like def lepard / kiss / motley crue / van halen etc.
    All this was in the early 80's. Got into metallica / maiden scorpians etc when started secoundary. Still love it to this day and im 37.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've no idea! so I'll say maybe 12 :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Actually, out of interest what was the first metal CD you guys owned?

For me the first one I owned, and didn't borrow, was Roots by Sepultura.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

System of a Down - Toxicity was the first cd I bought

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Angron wrote: »

Sounds funny, but it was the same for me. Started to buy CDs at that stage, because the good old vinyl became more and more a thing of the past :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Metallica's Black Album I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

got into metal in school when i was a kid..think i was about 12 or 13..some of the lads in the class were suspended for wearing denim and leather,thought that was so cool,first album i bought was with pocket money saved up from a paper round and it was ozzy's diary of a madman circa christmas 1981.ah the memories:-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

T'was either Ride the Lightning or Piece Of Mind, can't remember which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I was sort of bred on it, my brother is a good few years older than I am and I was therefore subject to a lot of metal as I was growing up as that was what he was listening to. I remember listening to Megadeth and Fear Factory albums that he owned from a very young age and being big into them. My Dad also was a bit of an influence, he enjoys Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and even Black Sabbath, I remember years ago there was a Black Sabbath Greatest Hits record in the jeep that wasn't taken out for years (or at least that's what it seemed like), so you can't really take notice to that stuff without having an appreciation of heavier music!

It was quite a good foundation to go on anyway, that's the least I can say. So I don't really think there was an age I got into it, it's always been there as far as I can recall, and to be fair I think it helped build a nice eclectic variety in my taste when it can to music and arts, and I put that mainly down to being well trained at an early age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

First metal album I bought was Powerage, on cassette!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

First album I bought (can't imagine I was given it as a present):

220px-Twister_Sister_-_Stay_Hungry.jpg

Was only 9 or 10 but this set me up nicely for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was 10 when Deep Purple released the single Black Night with Speed King on the B side. Bought a copy immediately. My first record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

First metal album I ever bought was on cd-album was iron maiden (somewhere in time) I got heavily into iron maiden after buying the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

My cousin from the USA came here every summer with a bag of tapes, I spent the summer taping his stuff. Ride The Lightning was the first album that we listened to together and I was blown away.

He loved Judas Priest as well and I got big into them. The first metal album I bought was Technical Ecstacy from Black Sabbath in 1984 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

It was whenever Blink 182's All the Small Things was released :p 12/13/14?

But, like everyone, I wanted more heavier and faster.

The first full metal album I listened to was Master of Puppets and still put hearing that album live as one the best moments of my 26 years :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

old gregg wrote: »
    I was 10 when Deep Purple released the single Black Night with Speed King on the B side. Bought a copy immediately. My first record.
    Jealousy alert :(;)

I was 10 when my cousin gave me Appetite for Destruction back in 1988. Never forget my Mum walking in on me listening to "It's So Easy" just as Axl mutters them immortal words

Why don't you just f**k off?

Sorry Mum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

dcr22B wrote: »
    Jealousy alert :(;)
    It's all good I reckon. We get on the bus when we get on, it's staying on that's important I believe. Happy to be in my early 50's with Lamb of God as my favourite band above all others :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Am Chile wrote: »
    What age were most of you when you first got into metal and how did you get into metal? I myself I was 19 I started listening to (planet rock) and (total rock) radio stations with radio stations available with sky tv-I started off listening to old 80s metal (iron maiden ) (megadeth) (testament) and (metallica) besides 80s metal I like some nu metal (disturbed) (deftones) (korn) and (drowning pool) besides 80s and nu metal- I also like (in flames) (hammerfall) (machine head) and (iced earth)- Im into metal for years now it would be the main music genre Id listen to-besides metal what other genres would most of you listen to? I myself other genres Id only really listen it would be indie and classical music.
    12 -1988 - nice one
    kill em all
    then a ride the lightning/ reign in blood double tape!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had an uncle who was rock/punk mad, so was subjected to Queen, The Clash, Zeppelin, Alice Cooper and Thin Lizzy pretty much from as soon as I could walk. He would babysit me, and that meant he gained the power to shape my future musical preferences.

But my big eye opener moment came in 1982 when Number Of The Beast was released. Was 9 years of age and had in my hands my first proper LP ( Blame my uncle for letting me pick out any LP I wanted that day:pac:)

Then the following year Peace Of Mind came out and I also got my hands on a record from some band who wanted to Kill Em All and I was well and truly hooked from that point on.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was 14 and the album that began the magic was And Justice For All. Previously been into pop and mainstream stuff as none of my mates had any interest in rock or metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I picked up Linken Park's Hybrid Theory in 6th Class, but I'm not 100% classifying that as a "proper" metal album (although I'm sure some would). The next album I picked up was Korn's Issues and while many may not classify that as "proper" metal either, that was the first time that I really knew that metal was for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Also 12 here. Got some metal compilation thing with two Sabbath songs, Motorhead, Saxon etc. And High voltage by AC/DC. Lived for it.

Advertisement