Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Age Were You When You Got Into Metal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From American movies we see blokes making mixtapes for girls they're chasing all the time....from what I remember a mixtape was to convert a civilian to the wonderful world of metal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I was 12 and a half in 1982 in Irish College Adam & The Ants were all the rage and I was introduced to AC\DC. 4 years later I got into Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister and Van Halen. The rest they say is history.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

acdc in a friends house in 82.i was 11.if u want blood album..i was hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

About 14/15? I remember hearing Show No Mercy by Slayer and thinking "this is pretty good", but the album that really got me into the genre was Scream Bloody Gore by Death. That album just blew my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Prob 12 and I will be 40 in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Early teen's with nu metal and grunge,Have moved toward's heavier stuff now as well.Led me to a lot of other different style's indirectly as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got into metal when I was about 13/14. I had previously listened to the likes of Sum 41 and Linkin Park.
    I discovered System of a Down thanks to the Tony Hawk games, which was my first kinda taste of metal. I was a big fan of them for a good while. But Metallica's Master of Puppets was the album that really showed me what metal could do.

I can remember the first time I listened to it and just being absolutely blown away. From then I discovered the usuals like Pantera and Slayer, but I quickly found myself more into the proggy side of things with the likes of Dream Theater and Opeth.

I don't really listen to as much metal these days but I guess I would say I'm more of a fan of relatively modern bands like those mentioned over the more classic metal bands of the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Probably about 12 or 13yrs old but by then it was easy to get access to all the good stuff, mostly it came from video games like the above poster mentioned but also movie soundtracks. I went to see Slayer when I was about 15yrs old and started to just go to gigs after that, before I knew it I was helping out on music videos and meeting a lot of bands. Not much has changed since then, I love my Metal (got some playing now while typing) ..hmm actually the main change is I'm shooting a lot of gigs and concerts but strictly Rock and Metal so that means going to a ridiculous amount of gigs but does it mean working in the music business? Not so sure as money does change hands but yeah Metal is a huge part of my life and it's stuck by for over 10yrs now so it's going no where any time soon. When it comes to media consumption it's the best kind, very empowering and teaches you to not give up. Great feeling too knowing so many others "get" the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brugmand

First into rock when i was 10 reason for love of metal listened to metallica's ride the lightning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

14 in 1989. Got listening to my mate's brother's old Iron Maiden and Metallica LPs.

Before that the last albums I had bought were by Technotronic and Tone Loc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

have to admit, i was into Def Leppard and bon jovi for about 6 months after my a-ha phase ..then i heard kill em all and that was that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

15/16. Hear BFMV on scuzz, went out and bought The Poison the next day and listened to it constantly over the next two week.s Went back to listening to Blink182 and Sum41 etc. and it wasn't good enough anymore. Wasn't fast or heavy enough. so listened to Trivium, then Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Death etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I was about 14. Started watching Kerrang! TV and went out and bought Metallica's Black Album. After that I started getting the rest of their discography and also started getting into the usual metal bands that teens listen to, i.e. Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera, SOAD, Slayer etc.

By the time I went to college I started to branch out into other genres besides metal, hard rock, grunge and punk and got bigger into indie, electronic and experimental stuff. I still listen to plenty of metal these days and I'm always discovering new metal bands to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

13/14 ish mid nineties was listening to alternative/indie bands smashing pumpkins,garbage, etc had 1977 by ash which id claim maybe surprisingly to some as the album that drove me into the rock/metal world needed to hear more of this heavy? faster? It was out there i was on the right path...

soon after the brother was playing bass had one of those learn how to play freebies with some mag dont think it was a stictly metal one but remember it had the backing tracks to Hit the lights(metallica) & walk(pantera), was interested so said id check out the albums those tracks appeared on even though i didnt have a cd player at the time family guessed they were on the way in the nanny had so used to buy the cds and record them onto cassette so could use on the walkman haha

anyways store didnt stock kill em all , so ended up walking out with Vulgar Display of power and Ride the Lightning, and so it began.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

16,rage against the machine's debut album,korn's untouchables album and nirvana set me up,then I got into metallica,machine head,alice chainssoundgarden,pearl jam,pantera then got more into the hardcore side of things,hatebreed,sick of it all,agnostic front,battery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Bought Ace of Spaces as first single the Number of the Beast first album.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Around 12/13. Brother was getting into Metallica from his friends so I heard them and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I was 11 when I got Linkin Park's second album, listened the sh*te out of it, then moved on to System Of A Down. Then I got into Korn and when I was around 14 a fella in my class introduced me to In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Dream Theater, Trivium, Lamb of God, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

About 13. Cousin was a huge Megadeth fan, and he's influenced me in several things (music, football, etc.) so I followed on. So Far, So Good, So What was one of the first metal albums I ever bought, still have it and still love it.

Also, around the same time, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City came out. On there was a metal radio station, V-Rock. I loved what I heard. I bought the V-Rock album, but one song per band didn't do it for me. I wanted MORE. So, I went out and researched and bought albums by artists like Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Ozzy, Tesla and Autograph to name a few.

My two favourite bands of my teens were Megadeth and Motley Crue. Got all their albums, listened to them until my ears bled and loved it all. I also grew into 80's Metal in a big way, particularly the two polar ends of it; glam and thrash, but also a lot of in-between.

I'm not overly gone on modern metal (even recent albums by the old guard). I was born in the wrong decade, but I still have been in love with metal for the better part of 12 or so years. Might not be as fanatical about it as I was in my teens (defending it as more than "just noise" :mad:) but I still love rocking out when I'm in the mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Around 12. I was 12 when the Black Album came out but had been into G n R and Queen for a few years before that. I also started learning guitar as well. So, would listen to mainly metal and try and learn as much as I could on guitar. On the one hand, metal taught me how to perfect my timing on an instrument. For that I'll be forever grateful! At the same time I missed out on a lot of other music in the early 90s, because it didn't have solos, or wasn't technical enough. It's only in the last 10 years I've gone back to soak up what I missed.
    One thing I did notice at that age was a lot of other metallers slagging lads who didn't have long hair etc. That's why I gravitated towards the grunge bands, as lots of them looked like me! Short hair, flannel shirts, jeans and docs.
    Weird thing is now a lot of metal bands look like I did back then (minus the beards and tats!!)

I drifted from metal at the end of the 90s. Started to listen to other types of alternative music, such as NIN, SOAD and the likes. Mastodon is the only "metal" band I kept up to date with, and am going to see them in June. While I would stick on Metallica etc from time to time, I'd have no interest in going to see them. Would still listen to and like Down, CoC, Pantera, Mastodon, Slayer, Slipknot etc. I'm aware of bands like Meshuggah, but haven't listened to their albums yet.

I also dabbled in Van Halen, Vai, Satriani and Dream Theater for a while too, while I was learning guitar. Metal gave me a GREAT start as a musician I will say....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

About 15
    First album I got into was Napalm Death's Scum. Blew me away.
    Listened to Master of Puppets around the same time and didn't think much of it:)

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

12 for me. It seems to be the magic number.
    Bon Jovi,Def Leppard and Guns N Roses was the start of the love affair with metal. Many genres have been experienced since.

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet was the first tape I bought,still have it with a 6.49 price sticker still on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Around 2005 aged 13 due to Scuzz TV, favourite bands were the likes of Trivium, Evanescence, SOAD, Slipknot, etc. I think I was born at the right time because I don't like much metal music from 80's, 90's

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    Around 2005 aged 13 due to Scuzz TV, favourite bands were the likes of Trivium, Evanescence, SOAD, Slipknot, etc. I think I was born at the right time because I don't like much metal music from 80's, 90's

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

:)

I'm not that much of a fan of SOAD and Slipknot now anyway but was it not just like 1 album both released in 98-99?

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    I'm not that much of a fan of SOAD and Slipknot now anyway but was it not just like 1 album both released in 98-99?

Yep twas 2 releases by Slipknot if you count their now unobtainable first album Mate.Feed.Kill. Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

have to admit, i was into Def Leppard and bon jovi for about 6 months after my a-ha phase ..then i heard kill em all and that was that

Sounds very like me to be honest. I was mad into A-ha from '84-'88,even going to see them live in '88 a the RDS. Whilst Metallica was my first introduction to R&M,i got quickly into Bon Jovi/GN'R/Def Leppard. They got left behind(with the exception of GN'R) as i discovered more Metal and got into faster stuff.

I still retain a soft spot for A-ha,they were a class pop band who wrote great tunes unlike most of the drivel that passes for chart hits these days.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

About 12 or so. I got a "copy" tape of Appetite for Destruction from my neighbour.

My first bought album was a tape of AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast, both bought same day.

Those two albums got played to death and I regret firing out all my old casseettes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I was 14, just discovering music. Bullet for my valentine and Trivium were new "big" things. Started listening to them after my friend gave me a mix cd with them and a few other bands. These bands led me to Metallica and the rest is history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Thats gas. I was into A-ha too before I started listening to metal.Damn right about the chart music then Lord Lucan,I wouldnt have a clue whats in the charts now.

I think Bon Jovi/Lepps/GNR were the starting point for a lot of people then and some of their early albums are classics now,not that I would be arsed going to see any of them now.If you look at the majority of pub rock bands,its mostly that type of music they play. Will they still be playing those tunes in 20 years time(if there are any pubs left) as I couldnt see much from today's music to be considered "classic" enough to be played in pubs.

It went from there to thrash,to RHCP/FNM,Soundgarden and all the bands lumped in with the grunge scene and from there to the stunning different genres from Scandinavia.

I think there was more of a buzz around the music than the 80s/90s than there is about metal now,then again that may have just been a teenage thing.Jesus I sound like an auld one reminiscing....

Advertisement