Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Age Were You When You Got Into Metal?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Angron wrote: »
    Actually, out of interest what was the first metal CD you guys owned?

For me the first one I owned, and didn't borrow, was Roots by Sepultura.

Live after death
    Double lo not cd
    I've acually never owned a cd I went from records to Downloading
    Flac
    And aged 10 to answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jeeeez....

1986. I'm old. Was given a copy of Live after Death by another first year in school. Then bought a live Slayer bootleg from one of the lads on O'Connell Bridge. Remember them....?

Got to look old enough to pass for 'well he looked nearly eighteen in the dark' and there was no stopping me. McGonagles Metal Bash, Bruxelles, sneaking into the Baggot Inn on Saturday afternoons...

Downhill from there, Every McGonagles metal gig till about '92. Every Top Hat gig till they closed it down.

Where did the years go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Loved System Of A Down since I was about 8 or 9 or something because of my older brother. My best mate and mates from secondary school got me in to Tool, Rammstein, Pantera, Alice In Chains, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold and the like when I was 13/14, my best mate doesn't even listen to metal any more! :P

In later secondary school when I was 15/16 got a lend of CDs from older lads of bands like Mastodon and Behemoth's Demigod. Mastodon were the first band I ever saw live (a weird one I know) and Behemoth opened my eyes to the more extreme stuff! Just a downward spiral since then! :)

People always thought it was weird (probably rightly so) how I skipped bands like Maiden, Metallica and Slayer in my formative years!

People always thought it was weird (probably rightly so) how I skipped bands like Maiden, Metallica and Slayer in my formative years!
    They're your formative years. Skip you you like. I skipped Megadave. Well.... Not so much skipped as ignored because Megadave is a dick and his band was/is sh1te...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Started out listening to Nirvana through my brother's CD collection back in the early 90s but didn't fully get into "metal" metal until he got into RATM. I was around 11 or possibly younger when I first heard "Killing In The Name Of" but when I discovered Marilyn Manson in my early teens, it all went downhill from there. :P
    I now listen to a wide variety- mostly nu-metal and classic rock with the odd Steel Panther track thrown in for good measure.
    My absolute favourite, though, has to be Rammstein. Seeing them live last year just blew my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McChubbin wrote: »
    Started out listening to Nirvana through my brother's CD collection back in the early 90s but didn't fully get into "metal" metal until he got into RATM. I was around 11 or possibly younger when I first heard "Killing In The Name Of" but when I discovered Marilyn Manson in my early teens, it all went downhill from there. :P
    I now listen to a wide variety- mostly nu-metal and classic rock with the odd Steel Panther track thrown in for good measure.
    My absolute favourite, though, has to be Rammstein. Seeing them live last year just blew my mind.

wonder if we'll see rammstein here again (soon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Only had SOAD first album and Alice in Chains self titled on in the car the other day. Where do the years go indeed :(
    Alice, though lumped in with the grunge bands, always had an alternative metal vibe off them, so worthy of a mention here..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

My parents were big fans of acdc and thin lizzy, when I was growing up those bands were always playing in the house, when I was about 8 or 9 my older cousin showed me master of puppets, that was the beginning of my love for Metallica, when I was about 13 I started to branch out into lots of thrash bands like anthrax, slayer, whiplash, overkill and Megadeth and I've never looked back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

been so long since i was young think it had a lot to do with the music show with dave fanning years ago got me into bands like therapy? and iron maiden and kind of went on from there. been into rock music ever since. love rammstein, alice cooper, alice in chains ,maiden, disturbed, metallica. Also intrested in a few female fronted rock bands like nightwish , within temption, lacuna coil, serenia to name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's funny, growing up my parents weren't rock fans at all. But they listened to what I like to call "real" music. It might not be rock/metal at all, but it was genuinely talented musicians and songwriters. I think this genuinely helped me appreciate music of various disparate genres along with my undying love for metal. Artists like Mark Knopfler, Kris Kristofferson, Steve Earle, ELO, classical music, jazz, etc. all entered into my musical vernacular at a very young age, and I appreciated them.

Yeah, it's not metal or rock by any stretch, but as I've said, it is proper musicians playing proper music. No rubbish-y pop nonsense.

It was then my cousin and some pop culture references that exposed me to rock and metal and I loved it because it was a bit more dangerous and "cool" than the stuff I'd heard as a kid. But undoubtedly the music I heard as a kid set the foundation for my appreciation of proper, real music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

This is making me feel nostalgic, I was about 14 when I got into rock & metal properly, I remember it was around Junior Cert time. Must have been rebelling against exam pressure!

I was into Bon Jovi, RHCP, GnR since age 12, but my older brother was a metalhead & I really looked up to him, he was definitely a big influence on my musical taste.

I got my first CD player when I was 14 so headed off to Golden Discs & came out with 3 CDs: Metallica Black album, RHCP "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" & Cypress Hill "Black Sunday". I listened to those CDs constantly and could probably remember every word to every song on them now, 20 years later!!

Got big into Slayer, Pantera, Paradise Lost, Testament, Obituary, Sepultura. I learned how to play guitar & bass, I played a few gigs with a band. I remember we were going to visit relations and I was in my full metal garb of combats, 16 hole docs, gory longsleeve etc and my Dad asked did I not have a nice dress to wear instead haha :D

I saved up every penny for new CDs, gig tickets, longsleeve t-shirts (HAD to have a back print dontchaknow, to shock people at mass :cool: ) and Kerrang! or Metal Hammer magazine - whichever had a free floppy disc of new music!
    It was a very different world back then with no internet, no music channels ("No Disco" or "The Beatbox" on RTE2 were the only music shows in our house).

Had to laugh at the previous poster's mention of the bootleg fellas on O'Connell Bridge, I remember them too as they used to slam the suitcase shut & leg it if the Gardai appeared in the distance. Also remember buying badges & patches off a guy at the end of Liffey Street, beside the Halfpenny Bridge.

I still have my music collection but don't listen to half as much rock anymore. Still go to gigs now & again and love to rock out but I have mellowed quite a bit...however my older brother is still a total metalhead and keeps me up to date on the scene. Great camaraderie in the metal community, sometimes I miss that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

When I was in 4th year, a mate lent me a load of his CDs. There was stuff in there like Trivium, SOAD and Seether. Didn't like Trivium or Seether but I really liked SOAD. Then in 5th year I started getting into Slipknot after listening to Psychosocial on YouTube.

I got interested in the whole metal buzz and looked up a list of top 100 metal albums to give a few a listen. The 2 albums that really got me hooked were Rust In Peace (still my favourite) and Leviathan by Mastodon.

For about a year I didn't listen to anything other than metal because I became a little elitist arsehole lol. Nowadays I still listen to rock & metal 90% of the time but I like certain artists from rap/hip-hop, dance/electronic, alt rock, indie, and even the odd catchy pop song!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probably around 16/17-ish, around 2000-2001. Fairly late on really. Pretty standard gateway bands too, Metallica, SOAD, Nirvana, Iron Maiden etc. Listened to pretty much anything I could get my hands on from there, fell in love with prog rock/metal in particular about 6-7 years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Forces of Steel

I first got into hard rock and heavy metal music half a decade ago when I received my first (and only) iPod. I was 16 years old at the time, and didn't know a whole lot. I had a source that provided me with some bands to enjoy, and so that was a good start if any for me. Bands like Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Winger, Poison, Queen, Ratt, and Ozzy Osbourne.

I was never much into any other style of music, so rock/metal was what sounded best to me at the time (still is, of course, or else this place wouldn't have existed).

It didn't take me long to quickly move on to more metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Saxon. When I discovered the NWOBHM movement (thanks to Def Leppard's first album being considered as part of that era) that's when things got really good for me. Found out about bands like Cloven Hoof, Angel Witch, Satan, Venom, Persian Risk, and so forth. Fell in love with what I was hearing and from there on I discovered lots of thrash, death, and power metal.

The Internet (especially YouTube) helped get me into the music much quicker than, say, having to play the lottery by purchasing random magazines and CDs -- not knowing if any of the bands on them would be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Thirteen. 1991, seeing suicidal tendencies' promo for you can bring me down with Rocky George in particular and the personality he'd put into performances and the emotion in his blues laden solos, was very articulate and really came across well and of course the beautiful scales; crazy hammer-ons and sweet harmonics. And the pillbox hat! he was magic... watch him pull one out of the hat @ 4:04

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

1986 when I saw the video for Walk this Way

Been a great journey since.....

Thirteen. 1991, seeing suicidal tendencies' promo for you can bring me down with Rocky George in particular and the personality he'd put into performances and the emotion in his blues laden solos, was very articulate and really came across well and of course the beautiful scales; crazy hammer-ons and sweet harmonics. And the pillbox hat! he was magic... watch him pull one out of the hat @ 4:04

Amazing band way back then. Saw the mcgonagles show in 88, and the top hat the following year. Allowing for fuzzy memory! Rocky is a stunning guitarist. I remember being really embarrassed when I found out that the 'rg' in ibanez rg stood for 'rock guitar', not 'rocky George'. I just kinda presumed he had a signature guitar!

Disappointed I missed the Dublin gig a couple of years ago, even though rocky isnt with the band any more. That's what happens I suppose, when you're all growed up and out of touch.

Advertisement