Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did McDonalds Get Planning Permission?

Options
  • 13-04-2013 2:46am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im not trying to Start a Debate whatever you're opinions you are entitled to them i just wan't to know did they get Planning Permission in the end? i cannot find the Application on Wicklow CoCo site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

This is just my commentary of what I can see from the WCC website - It's in a 'further information' status. There's a copy of the FI letter to the applicant requesting further information about the design of the building (basically they are looking to see if it is in character with the surrounding buildings). Also it looks like WCC are deeming the corporate signage and free-standing advertising structures to be somewhat inappropriate. So perhaps WCC asking McDonald's to dumb-down how it looks on such a prominent location...

Location of application: File Ref: 138028

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Has anyone else started thinking that this could just be the answer as to what should be done with that 'oul eyesore hotel down the sea front...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Which Maccy D's are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Quackhart wrote: »
    Has anyone else started thinking that this could just be the answer as to what should be done with that 'oul eyesore hotel down the sea front...

:D
    nope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=138028&LASiteID=0

VoMMit have not yet submitted the further info requested by WCC. The application is on hold.

Worth looking at this letter. The design as submitted is not acceptable to WCC. They have asked for a redesign and certain other assurances which may not be possible....

http://www.wicklow.ie/idocsweb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=120627&format=jpeg

• Advertisement

As anyone who lodged an objection knows by now, WCC received the Further Information requested last week.

You can find McD's response here: http://bit.ly/14ZKwwJ

WCC have done their best to make it hard to find, forcing the viewer to plough through all the initial material to reach the latest., and not labelling it by date submitted. Typical, trying to thwart democratic use of the planning appeal process.

Open the page above
    Go to the fifth item from top — Further info, 10 files, 1,350 Kb
    Open the document
    There are 10 files, choose File 10
    Open it — there are eight pages including Lidl's letter ceding some frontage to McD's

So Lidl is joining in to support the McD application. Let's remember that when deciding whether to use Lidl or Aldi.

Objectors can now comment on the Further Info and on WCC's Request for it.

I don't know how long we have. Anybody know that?

And can people who did not lodge an official objection now comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

So wicklow county council seem to be garnishing favour along with lidl in supporting mcdonalds in its campaign to open one of its burger joints up there by all those schools?surley w.c.c are supposed to be impartial..is this the same council involved in the shady three trout flood plain land they bought for three million and is now unable to sell for 3 hundred thousand.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maudi wrote: »
    So wicklow county council seem to be garnishing favour along with lidl in supporting mcdonalds in its campaign to open one of its burger joints up there by all those schools?
    Where is the evidence to support this statement/question?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Where is the evidence to support this statement/question?

Read the thread detective the clues are there.

Read the thread detective the clues are there.

Also im sure it should go without saying (in my humble opinion)its more appropriate and professsional for mods to remain impartial ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also im sure it should go without saying (in my humble opinion)its more appropriate and professsional for mods to remain impartial ..

Mods are entitled to hold and express whatever views they have as long as it is within the charter and they continue to uphold the charter in a fair manner. People become mods of areas they are interested in (for the most part) so it would be practically unworkable to tell mods they must remain impartial when posting.

Also - fingers crossed McDonalds do what needs to be done and they get the planning permission, would like to have a McDs option in greystones. Will be interested to see if they do make the design more conservative, and what they do in doing that. I'm aware the one in Bray is considered to be one of the nicest McDs restaurant in the world, owing to its design.

Im afraid the mickey ds in bray dosent have a 'design' its hidden or lodged inside a historical building..and whoevers responsible for that parasitic planning disaster should be removed from their job..but thats just my two cents...im not going to go over all the moralistic /health reasons that take away fast food outlets shouldnt be zoned near schools its been done to death..its a matter of integrity and taste and it says a lot about a company (and parents) that would support such a move..im a fairly regular visitor to micky ds.( NEVER the one in bray) and would support them but else where in the town (near my house would be fine) but something ..i suppose its just the way i was brought up...tells me its wrong to put it outside schools..i.m.o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

they're near schools everywhere, the bray miccy d's is very clever, they bought a historic building with a great location and used a bit of innovation to get around the planning requirements and open up.

with lidl's support they will get it, it will only be good for lidl and will likely act as a trade driver for them so it's in their interest too. Will damage the pizza place and café though as miccy d's coffee has gone way up in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

I'm aware the one in Bray is considered to be one of the nicest McDs restaurant in the world, owing to its design.
    not going by this report
    http://www.takepart.com/photos/if-you-need-another-reason-not-go-mcdonalds#bray-town-hallbray-county-wicklow-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

A big mac after shopping, sounds good to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Im afraid the mickey ds in bray dosent have a 'design' its hidden or lodged inside a historical building..and whoevers responsible for that parasitic planning disaster should be removed from their job..but thats just my two cents.
    Sometimes it isn't as black and white as that. I think it's pretty tasteless too, but at the time permission was given, as I recall, there wasn't the money available to maintain the existing building to any decent standard, and no suitable plans were forthcoming for any other use for it, so the McD's option was seen as the lesser of two evils. At least the fabric of the building is intact now, and if at some future point their lease runs out, then at least there's still a building there to be put some other more 'noble' use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Alun wrote: »
    Sometimes it isn't as black and white as that. I think it's pretty tasteless too, but at the time permission was given, as I recall, there wasn't the money available to maintain the existing building to any decent standard, and no suitable plans were forthcoming for any other use for it, so the McD's option was seen as the lesser of two evils. At least the fabric of the building is intact now, and if at some future point their lease runs out, then at least there's still a building there to be put some other more 'noble' use.

There was a Restaurant Previous to Mc Donalds entering in the Mid 90's, McDonalds Kept it Very Basic and in keeping with the Original Character of the Building and Recently did a Refurb that does not impact the Original features and is Ripped out very easily there are no Signs or advertising it is all in the building itself, it might not be everyones taste but it is responsibly taking care of the Building, & i dont think McDonalds are evil you know what you are getting the Calorie Info is Displayed no less healthier than you're local Chipper etc, Personal Choice and Moderation.

Getting off Track Here Sorry, Thanks for the Updated Info on Planning Application for Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Please be assured that a) Mods are allowed opinions and that b) you can take matters further if you feel that mods opinions have clouded their judgement as a moderator.

If you feel that my opinion is a conflict of interest with my position as a mod and that I have acted in a particularly partisan way or against the forum charter please feel free to pm me to complain. If I am unable to deal with your complaint I will ask a CMod to investigate. If your complaint cannot be investigated by a CMod an admin can investigate it.

There is no need to drag this thread off track any further. Any feedback on moderation can be sent by pm.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Just in case anyone isn't aware - you have until this Friday to make further submissions in relation to the further information provided by McDonalds on 5 July before Wicklow County Council make their planning decision.

nickhx wrote: »
    Just in case anyone isn't aware - you have until this Friday to make further submissions in relation to the further information provided by McDonalds on 5 July before Wicklow County Council make their planning decision.

Thanks, nick. Take a look at this:

http://bit.ly/13umAyF

• Advertisement

Thanks, nick. Take a look at this:

http://bit.ly/13umAyF

What's has this got to do with McDonald's in Greystones?

Minimum wage and living expenses are different in the US to here.

20 minimum wage jobs is better than no jobs. They also offer career progression for those who excel.

What's has this got to do with McDonald's in Greystones?

Minimum wage and living expenses are different in the US to here.

20 minimum wage jobs is better than no jobs. They also offer career progression for those who excel.

I suppose McD's in Ireland are way more generous than in the good ol' US of A?

In any case, Greystones is supposed to be a centre for high-skill employment (see Local Area Plan). With three schools and a dental practice, the site at the Blacklion Centre should be dedicated either to some sort of high tech training centre or a high tech employer. Dead end jobs are just that: dead end.

minimum wage is higher by legislation here than the US.

McDonalds offer a career progression path which includes a path to senior management. I think a restaurant manager in Miccy d's earns between 35-40k a year plus benefits.

jobs are needed regardless of skill levels. We need to help people get out of the dole queue, this cannot be achieved by just high skill jobs, especially when there is no market for such jobs in the area currently.

If Mc Donalds can get 20 full time employees hired there and 10-15 part time employees that's a saving to the government. I don't know what's the dole €198 odd a week?

For 20 full time employees that's a basic saving of over €200k for the government/taxpayer, this doesn't take into account any tax income they will get and PRSI/USC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Spot on Matt, the comment before you was one of the most stupid I've ever heard. Does Durutti Column want the IFSC to move to Greystones?!

Any employment is good for any area in Ireland considering state of the country and the dead end comment was both snobby and extremely ignorant. I personally wouldn't like to work in McDonalds but if it's a darn sight better than being out of work.

I completely agree, also there will be part time roles which will become available that will help local students generate income for, well, whatever students do!

McDonalds wouldn't be my first choice of a position, but If I had a choice between that and the queue I would prefer to work.

Ho, hum. (Yawn!!)

IanL wrote: »
    Spot on Matt, the comment before you was one of the most stupid I've ever heard. Does Durutti Column want the IFSC to move to Greystones?!

Any employment is good for any area in Ireland considering state of the country and the dead end comment was both snobby and extremely ignorant. I personally wouldn't like to work in McDonalds but if it's a darn sight better than being out of work.
    Spot on.
    Also, referring to the Local Area Plan and utopian ideals of high skills jobs for Greystones, a pipe dream at best, in reality a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think most people complaining don't have a problem with McD's as a business - its the proposed location they don't agree with.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think most people complaining don't have a problem with McD's as a business - its the proposed location they don't agree with.

Which is totally understandable to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The location is typical for a McDonalds. Just back from France where a Big mac could be easily accessed on the outskirts of most towns. Funnily enough, the area was always spick and span and the vast majority of the French youth where not overweight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement