Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did McDonalds Get Planning Permission?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sccmcc

Fingers crossed it goes ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

1) The history of flooding problems in the vicinty of Redford

Is this really going to add to the problem?

As a representative for the people of Greystones, would it not serve him better to get the flooding problem fixed rather than stopping well needed jobs?
    2) Traffic concerns for the site

It's a feckin fast food restaurant not a Dundrum style shopping centre with people coming from miles and blocking the place up.

This particular point is complete nonsense in my opinion. The traffic volumes will go unnoticed when approved.
    3) And more importantly, the fact that draft planning guidelines state that fast food restaurants should not be located beside schools.

As far as I can see he only has one half a point but in reality should be dealt with on a parental level anyway.

Typical Fine Gael, crush any hope of job creation to gain as many votes as possible.

I'm glad I didn't vote for him and I never will after the garbage he just posted.

He obviously has no spell check on his PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

DD9090 wrote: »
    Is this really going to add to the problem?

As a representative for the people of Greystones, would it not serve him better to get the flooding problem fixed rather than stopping well needed jobs?

It's a feckin fast food restaurant not a Dundrum style shopping centre with people coming from miles and blocking the place up.

This particular point is complete nonsense in my opinion. The traffic volumes will go unnoticed when approved.

As far as I can see he only has one half a point but in reality should be dealt with on a parental level anyway.

Typical Fine Gael, crush any hope of job creation to gain as many votes as possible.

I'm glad I didn't vote for him and I never will after the garbage he just posted.

He obviously has no spell check on his PC.

Simon is right..nobody is "crushing" job creation..its simply looking for pp in an area that is child saturated..thats just wrong .. and wrong for a giant like mc d to muscle in on a site beside schools...dont forget we all want mcds in greystones just not there..but i fear only a few of us are looking at the pp in a grown up manner....itl probly get pp.and ye will be all sniggering..but when ye "grow" as people you will realise your yes..should have been a no..

Maudi wrote: »
    Simon is right..nobody is "crushing" job creation..its simply looking for pp in an area that is child saturated..thats just wrong .. and wrong for a giant like mc d to muscle in on a site beside schools...dont forget we all want mcds in greystones just not there..but i fear only a few of us are looking at the pp in a grown up manner....itl probly get pp.and ye will be all sniggering..but when ye "grow" as people you will realise your yes..should have been a no..

This post is not making sense to me, you need to stop using "text speak" in your posts.

Just out of interest, did you object to the new pizza place that opened recently? Did you object to Pebbles cafe?

Both of these rubbish the whole "save our children" objections in my opinion.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Traffic volumes have just been mentioned, wait till the new school plus new secondary come on stream then we'll really know all about traffic volume, it will make Mc's seem like a drop in the ocean.

Couldn't be bothered negotiating wwc's website to have a look at the proposed building, assume its suitably impressive as would befit a location on a main entrance to the town.... Hang on a mo, it's wwc , shouldn't assume any thing better go and have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hey.!! Rule no 1..attack the post not the poster son...thinly veiled im better than you grammar police jibe..and no i didnt complain about the pizza shop..im all for job creation.and welcome the pizza shop.mcds is diffrnt..the actively target children as their top customers..theres lots of places in town suitable for dem ...outside a school isnt one of em.ps yes i complained about mickey ds.i like complaining and complain about a lot of things i see wrong in our town.anytime you see things fixed or mended or made good in the town its probly bcause me and others have g.o.o.a's and complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hey.!! Rule no 1..attack the post not the poster son...thinly veiled im better than you grammar police jibe..and no i didnt complain about the pizza shop..im all for job creation.and welcome the pizza shop.mcds is diffrnt..the actively target children as their top customers..theres lots of places in town suitable for dem ...outside a school isnt one of em.ps yes i complained about mickey ds.i like complaining and complain about a lot of things i see wrong in our town.anytime you see things fixed or mended or made good in the town its probly bcause me and others have g.o.o.a's and complained.

If you have a problem with posts then please report them. Also it is a little patronising to refer to another poster as "son"

As always moderation should not be discussed on thread. If you have any issues with moderation pm me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So you are saying that the pizza shop won't target children with lunch time specials?

Pebbles? With all of their confectionery, cakes, chocolate squares and cookies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

DD9090 wrote: »
    So you are saying that the pizza shop won't target children with lunch time specials?

Pebbles? With all of their confectionery, cakes, chocolate squares and cookies?

Not to mention the newsagent, and Lidl which has an unlimited amount of junk on sale, suitable for any child's budget!

You cant put some sort of exclusion zone around every school, its just not practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I didn't see anyone objecting to the school uplifting traffic in the area.

I didn't see anyone objecting to the school uplifting traffic in the area.

Flooding is also of no concern funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Having had an opportunity to watch the flow of water from the cemetery side of the junction during the flooding, I don't think the McD's site has much of an impact on the flooding problem. Most of the rainwater was running from up that top part of that hill at the cemetery and down to the junction. Yes, a portion was coming down from Blacklion (the school side) contributing to it. The possible problem being moreso the roads rather than car parking areas. rainwater can run past blocked gullies and continue on it the next. When's the last time you saw a council worker digging twigs and silt from a road gully?!

The McD's site itself will collect up its own rainwater and the drains on the site will have been adequately designed for 100yr storm rainfall (worst case). Now, if for some reason the surface water sewers 'down stream' in Redford (or wherever the pipes go) cannot cope with the overall volume due to previous under-sizing, then this needs to be addressed by WCC roads and drainage dept. If they were aware of under-sizing of sewers then an embargo on development would be in place preventing development for the whole area, or in some cases each planning application submitted would have been conditioned to pay an infrastructure levy for local sewer upgrades. It would be an interesting exercise to see how well the overall drainage design works out for the drainage through Redford if that's where the pipes run!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

In truth, most of the objections are not about flooding, traffic or schools. Those are excuses. It is a group of anti corporate , Lentil loving nazis driving this. As stated over and over, there is nothing in a McD restaurant that isn't in any newsagent or supermarket.
    As a company they have an excellent corporate responsibility ethos and record. They are a fair employer, disability inclusive and provide great training for young people to use in full time capacities after college or school. I don't eat there, like there, go there. However the vitriolic, vindictive objections that have been levelled against this application are unfair and I believe, insincere.

In truth, most of the objections are not about flooding, traffic or schools. Those are excuses. It is a group of anti corporate , Lentil loving nazis driving this......

Argue your point without resorting to insulting language in future

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Every central/ spar/ unbranded convenience shop with a deli counter has lots of unhealthy options for children on top of the sweets and crisps. I really don't see McDonalds as the big bogey man in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

As a company they have an excellent corporate responsibility ethos and record. They are a fair employer, disability inclusive and provide great training for young people to use in full time capacities after college or school. .

Are you sure?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/aug/05/mcdonalds-workers-zero-hour-contracts?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2&et_cid=44274&et_rid=7543498&Linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theguardian.com%2fbusiness%2f2013%2faug%2f05%2fmcdonalds-workers-zero-hour-contracts

Fiachra2 wrote: »

Zero hour contracts are really dangerous and cause many low paid workers to get into poverty traps and locked out of social welfare benefits. But hey lets all clap McDonalds on the back and tell them how wonderful they are.

Terry Pratchet

Zero hour contracts are really dangerous and cause many low paid workers to get into poverty traps and locked out of social welfare benefits. But hey lets all clap McDonalds on the back and tell them how wonderful they are.

No different to subway, tesco, dunnes, spar, Burger King and many restaurants who employ part time staff across the country. Who also have no contractually guaranteed hours. Their core business rotates around part time staff. The management is usually full Tim in each restaurant.

We all had part time jobs in school and in college so again I don't see the issue here.

Someone getting 10-20 hours a week in my opinion is better than someone doing nothing except for standing in a queue and collecting the same money.

I prefer McDonald's to pay them and not us!

No different to subway, tesco, dunnes, spar, Burger King and many restaurants who employ part time staff across the country. Who also have no contractually guaranteed hours. Their core business rotates around part time staff. The management is usually full Tim in each restaurant.

We all had part time jobs in school and in college so again I don't see the issue here.

Someone getting 10-20 hours a week in my opinion is better than someone doing nothing except for standing in a queue and collecting the same money.

I prefer McDonald's to pay them and not us!

Actually if the work is precarious and locks them into a poverty trap it might be the case sometimes that people are financially better off on social welfare than working zero hour contracts.

Honestly I think that paid work is preferable but not precarious work that locks people into poverty traps.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/workers-on-zerohours-contracts-are-exploited-more-and-paid-less-8672175.html

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Actually if the work is precarious and locks them into a poverty trap it might be the case sometimes that people are financially better off on social welfare than working zero hour contracts.

Honestly I think that paid work is preferable but not precarious work that locks people into poverty traps.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/workers-on-zerohours-contracts-are-exploited-more-and-paid-less-8672175.html
    Historicly there hasn't been an issue with these contracts, only since the downturn has there been an issue with less full time contracts being available

These roles were never designed for someone to keep their family afloat, they're designed to give teenagers and college students some spending money.

Since the downturn there has been a lot of highly qualified people applying for these roles to try and get some cashew going so you really can't blame McDonald's.

The governments should be doing more to stimulate higher skilled job creation

There is a problem with those roles now because people are taking up those roles in order to keep their family afloat.

If you work less than 19 hours a week in Ireland you cant get access to family income supplement. Zero hour contracts do not guarantee you enough hours. THAT is a poverty trap for families.

But yes lets all clap wonderful McDonalds for providing employment - don't worry at all that the type of employment they want to provide may be precarious.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't think the zero hours contracts legally operate the same here as in the UK. However, is the problem McDonalds as a employer or it's vacinity to the schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Crew jobs at fast food restaurants are not designed for people with families to bring up. They are generally student type part time jobs. Mcds do include a lot of disabled folk on their crews also, which is good as it provides integration, income and meaning in peoples lives. McDs being responsible for keeping people and their families in poverty traps is just another example of the hysteria being generated on the subject. It's like levelling the same accusation against the Burnaby for the hours it employs it's waitstaff!
    The training in customer service given also puts young people in good stead for their careers.
    Maybe go back to flooding,traffic and schools. Although none of that makes any sense either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Looking forward to a Double Sausage and Egg McMuffin to be honest. The milkshakes are good too.

Bacon cheeseburgers ain`t bad either, twisty fries good but you gotta have ketchup with it.

The morale of the story is that this is not very nutritious, but a lot better than a packet or meanies or a mars bar from the shop!

To be fair I would prefer the option of the leisure centre that was mooted for this site but it looks like McDonalds is coming.

Right folks, we are sliding off topic here. The rights and wrongs of McDonald's as an employer belongs to another forum.

Lets keep this Greystones specific. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I would respectfully suggest to anyone objecting to this grant of permission by WCC to employ a professional in making a submission to An Bord Pleanala.
    As I read through the submissions that were made to WCC there were some objections that were so irrelevant and amateurish that I feel objectors should get together and pay a professional to put a submission together. Also use your Irish address in your submission :eek:
    Best of luck in whichever way it goes.

It looks like a concerted effort to make a legitimate objection appeal to An Bord Pleanala was made tonight at a meeting in the Beach House. Well done to all concerned with this.
    http://www.greystonesguide.ie/appeal-to-bord-pleanala-against-mcdonalds-planning-approval/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GreystonesGuide+%28Greystones+Guide%29

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I see Harris is backing another loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm not a supporter of Simon Harris, but I do think he is doing the right thing as an elected politician. Where most politicians, which are not in government, will jump on the band wagon just to please the masses and possibly gain votes next time around, it is an important issue which needs the attention of our elected representatives.

[Completely off-topic] My biggest beef at the moment is the fact that ambulances serving Greystones don't have satnav, so I think politicians should be sorting those other important problems out too which affect us locally. My questions on another forum with scary comments about how ambulances get directions in a poor radio signal area.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm not a supporter of Simon Harris, but I do think he is doing the right thing as an elected politician. Where most politicians, which are not in government, will jump on the band wagon just to please the masses and possibly gain votes next time around, it is an important issue which needs the attention of our elected representatives.

[Completely off-topic] My biggest beef at the moment is the fact that ambulances serving Greystones don't have satnav, so I think politicians should be sorting those other important problems out too which affect us locally. My questions on another forum with scary comments about how ambulances get directions in a poor radio signal area.

Doesn't Stop his Office being Beside the One in Bray Hpyocrite if you ask me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement