Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did McDonalds Get Planning Permission?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Doesn't Stop his Office being Beside the One in Bray Hpyocrite if you ask me.

Do they run primary school classes out of his office?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Do they run primary school classes out of his office?

There are 3 Primary Schools within 30 seconds of the One in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

If he thought it was politically expedient to back the introduction of this particular legitimate business he would. In this case he reckons it will get him more votes to go through the motions with an Bord pleanala in the full knowledge that the objection cannot be upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

242381: Blacklion Centre, Blacklion, Greystones, Co. Wicklow. (13/8028)

Wicklow County Council

Amendment to parent permissions to replace the permitted leisure and fitness centre with a 'drive thru' restaurant and all associated site works. McDonalds,

Case reference: PL27 .242381

Case type: Planning Appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Stephen Donnelly ‏@DonnellyStephen 2m
    Just heard the application for McDonalds to be built beside 3 schools in Greystones has been refused. Good news for kids.

I presume this isn't the end of it, however ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

eigrod wrote: »
    I presume this isn't the end of it, however ?

If Donnelly is reporting the Bord Pleanala decision, then yes it effectively is. Pleanala is intended to be,and usually is, the last court of appeal in the planning system.

The only appeal from here is to the High Court on a point of law :- that option has little chance of success and is rarely exercised. When Sean Dunne was refused the Jury's development, for example, a decision that effectively bankrupted him, he didn't bother going to the High Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The next step is a Judical Review in the High Court, but you'll very rarely see an ABP decision being brought before the courts and as Alan_P states, it's only to review whether the letter of the law has been followed in determining the decision.

Damn, no micky d's with the kids after school then. :p

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Alan_P wrote: »
    If Donnelly is reporting the Bord Pleanala decision, then yes it effectively is. Pleanala is intended to be,and usually is, the last court of appeal in the planning system.

The only appeal from here is to the High Court on a point of law :- that option has little chance of success and is rarely exercised. When Sean Dunne was refused the Jury's development, for example, a decision that effectively bankrupted him, he didn't bother going to the High Court.

if the decision is correct i wonder on what grounds it was refused on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jimjay wrote: »
    if the decision is correct i wonder on what grounds it was refused on

that will determine whether they come back for another bite presumably. If ABP refused because the location is inappropriate then that's the end of it.

(did it actually go to ABP though - last I heard Wicklow CC had sent it back for "further information")

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

loyatemu wrote: »
    that will determine whether they come back for another bite presumably. If ABP refused because the location is inappropriate then that's the end of it.

(did it actually go to ABP though - last I heard Wicklow CC had sent it back for "further information")

It was with ABP. The grounds for refusal will apparently be available here :-

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/242381.htm

by tomorrow. I wonder who told Stephen Donnelly it was refused, given the decision wasn't supposed to be made public till tomorrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Look's like he got a letter today. From his email circular:
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]
    No Big Macs in Blacklion
    This morning I got a letter from an Bord Pleanála: they have refused permission for the proposed McDonalds in Blacklion. I am delighted that a fast food restaurant will not be built beside three schools. The development was considered to be an "inadequate design response" which would have seriously injured the amenities of property in the vicinity and be "contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area."
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Dosent really matter what reason's will be given for refusal..almost worldwide its common sense not to locate fast food joints near schools..it speaks volumes for any individual who would promote putting them in such a position...thankfully common sense prevailed. .+they are awful tatty looking joints to have on an approach road into the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I hope they apply for somewhere in town now, that would test if the "not beside a school" people are genuine. I suspect they are not. Nimbyism pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

What about down at the south beach at the old pub or even better - restore the La Touch, remove the nighclub and hey pesto.

In the old cinema would be ideal..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Maudi wrote: »
    The old cinema would be a great location

Would the same objections not arise there given it's proximity to St. Kevins ? And the La Touche is very close to St. Brigid's and St. Davids. Probably need to go somewhere to the South of the town to be away from the schools.

eigrod wrote: »
    Would the same objections not arise there given it's proximity to St. Kevins ? And the La Touche is very close to St. Brigid's and St. Davids. Probably need to go somewhere to the South of the town to be away from the schools.

Yea.i suppose twud be..that pub mentioned near the park and ride might be a poss location..or anywhere along the farrankelly rd.

Yea.i suppose twud be..that pub mentioned near the park and ride might be a poss location..or anywhere along the farrankelly rd.

Sure but the pub is sale agreed. Maybe near the new factory in charlesland or next to the bew aldi.
    Will be interesting to see how much they want to be in greystones to see if they look dor more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Sure but the pub is sale agreed.

Any idea what is going in here?

Downstairs - Burger King
    Upstairs - KFC

• Advertisement

Nope. I was enquireing about cost of rent and the estate agent aaid they were not taking enquiries as its sale agreed and they are just waiting for signatures. Said the buyers are buying it to run a business rather than investors but he didnt say what business.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Downstairs - Burger King
    Upstairs - KFC

Lol. There is a rumour that kfc are looking for suitable places in greystones.
    I also heard a rumour that the latouche hotel site has been purchased too but haven't heard any confirmation that it is more than a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Taltos wrote: »
    What about down at the south beach at the old pub or even better - restore the La Touch, remove the nighclub and hey pesto.

great name for a new Italian,well done you:D

Lol. There is a rumour that kfc are looking for suitable places in greystones.
    I also heard a rumour that the latouche hotel site has been purchased too but haven't heard anything myself.

yeah I've heard that about the La Touche too - great news if it's someone with the cash to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Burger King in the old La Touche bar, McD's in Lautrex and KFC upstairs in the old function room?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Great news!

I heard that planning was approved for the swingers club at the old Script building too.

(ok I made that up)

In the old cinema would be ideal..

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How about locating it in the mess that is the North Beach side of the harbour? Out of the way, plus you have somewhere to sit down and eat after doing the cliff walk?

An added bonus would be the landscaping of the area could be done at the same time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How about locating it in the mess that is the North Beach side of the harbour? Out of the way, plus you have somewhere to sit down and eat after doing the cliff walk?

An added bonus would be the landscaping of the area could be done at the same time.

Although the harbor is a bit of a mess this would be horrendous.
    I would have thought that down by Procap would be ideal. Well served by roads, and not too close to anything else.

• Advertisement

Never a Perfect Location to suite everyone, Bray in the Town Hall etc, Unless they try for somewhere else in Greystones i doubt it, Thats 15-20 Potential Jobs taking away from the town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement