Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did McDonalds Get Planning Permission?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Never a Perfect Location to suite everyone

True, but many see the proposed location as a particularly bad one.
    Thats 15-20 Potential Jobs taking away from the town.

...or they could pick a less contentious location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Maudi wrote: »
    Anywhere around the farrankelly rd..plenty of spots.along it .+they will have delgany and kilcoole close by..while we is at it..this huge corporation should be made put their hands a tad deeper into their phocas if they want to exploit greystones..praps sponser a local team..a nature park..something ...for too long they have been allowed to set up ..sell their *product* take and give nothing back.(.i eat mcdonalds burkers and acknowledge that they provide short term part time student jobs)

They sell burgers and fries!? Exploit is a very strong word to use?

What do tesco and the others offer back to the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I hope they get an easier time if they elect to go for a new site! I doubt it though. The hysterical nature of some of the objections was just scandalous. Shrouded in concerns about flooding and schools. Disgraceful decision on so many levels. I dont eat the stuff myself and agree it's not good for you however, Jokers and many other food choices available are not good either. We'd all love our kids to choose the Happy Pear for lunch but chances are they wont whether McDs is there or not. I expect that many of the objectors to this application will follow the next one with the same excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I hope they get an easier time if they elect to go for a new site! I doubt it though. The hysterical nature of some of the objections was just scandalous. Shrouded in concerns about flooding and schools. Disgraceful decision on so many levels. I dont eat the stuff myself and agree it's not good for you however, Jokers and many other food choices available are not good either. We'd all love our kids to choose the Happy Pear for lunch but chances are they wont whether McDs is there or not. I expect that many of the objectors to this application will follow the next one with the same excuses.

Democracy is a great institution.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

2011 wrote: »
    I would have thought that down by Procap would be ideal. Well served by roads, and not too close to anything else.

Jesus you would swear it was a bomb factory looking to locate.
    this huge corporation should be made put their hands a tad deeper into their phocas if they want to exploit greystones..praps sponser a local team..a nature park..something ...for too long they have been allowed to set up ..sell their *product* take and give nothing back.(.i eat mcdonalds burkers and acknowledge that they provide short term part time student jobs)

They also provide full time manager and crew jobs. And as they are each owned by a local entrepreneur you will find they provide a lot of local sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

radharc wrote: »
    Jesus you would swear it was a bomb factory looking to locate.

This country suffers from bad planning enough as it is.
    A drive through such as this requires proper road access.
    Not many people want to live that close to such an establishment (apart from the whole school issue). There are alternative locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

They would have an issue with the "not too close to anything else" bit that you mentioned. Yes, it's a drive-thru, but they still want a bit of "park and eat" or foot traffic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Disgraceful decision on so many levels.
    Have you read the decision ? If not, how do you know it's disgraceful ?

Banta wrote: »
    They would have an issue with the "not too close to anything else" bit that you mentioned.

Who is "they"?
    By anything else I meant people's homes.
    I don't think many people from Greystones would like to live beside this type of establishment, although some may like to have it nearby.

Yes, it's a drive-thru, but they still want a bit of "park and eat" or foot traffic as well.

I am open to correction here but my understanding is that it is possible to park & eat at all drive-thru McDonalds. This area is well within walking distance og Greystones.

We'd all love our kids to choose the Happy Pear for lunch but chances are they wont whether McDs is there or not.

You are making sound as if very few children can be convinced that a healthy meal can be delicious.

I know plenty of children that love to eat in the Happy Pear and go to McDonalds type outlets less than once a year and have no issues with that whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume they'd want to be somewhere that gets walk-in customers as well. At Lidl they would have been close to several housing estates (and of course a large secondary school).

I don't buy the jobs argument btw - there are plenty of take-away food outlets in the town already, McDs would take at least some business from them & some of them would probably end up closing.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm with you on what you're saying in relation to "I don't think many people from Greystones would like to live beside this type of establishment" - absolutely.

By "they" I mean the McD people. Down by Procap I couldn't see them getting as many potential customers compared to some where closer to the town. Whilst I'd personally love to see them located some place like there, I was thinking more along the lines of "If I was to set up a McD's somewhere in Greystones, where would be a good location". If I was that prospective business owner and someone pointed out that location to me I'd probably look at them with raised eye brows in a "are you serious?" kind of way. If they've done any sort of research on the area and prospective analysis of places and the people, they'd learn pretty quickly that just because something is "within walking distance" doesn't mean people will go there. For people living close to the town, the IDA location would be viewed as "a million miles away". I remember years ago when someone suggested going for a drink in "Script" or whatever it was called then only to get the response, "That's way to far to walk".

So, again, whilst personally I agree with what you're saying, I was just thinking of it from the point of view of whoever is on the McD side of things looking to set this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

Anywhere around the farrankelly rd..plenty of spots.along it .+they will have delgany and kilcoole close by..while we is at it..this huge corporation should be made put their hands a tad deeper into their phocas if they want to exploit greystones..praps sponser a local team..a nature park..something ...for too long they have been allowed to set up ..sell their *product* take and give nothing back.(.i eat mcdonalds burkers and acknowledge that they provide short term part time student jobs)

Mmmmm, can't beat a good burker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Who is "they"?
    By anything else I meant people's homes.
    I don't think many people from Greystones would like to live beside this type of establishment, although some may like to have it nearby.

How do you make that out? Did you do a survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

LEIN wrote: »
    How do you make that out? Did you do a survey?

Poster was tendering an opinion, not reporting a fact.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm with you on what you're saying in relation to "I don't think many people from Greystones would like to live beside this type of establishment" - absolutely.

OK, good to see that we are agreed on that.
    By "they" I mean the McD people. Down by Procap I couldn't see them getting as many potential customers compared to some where closer to the town.

The fact that the proposed location is more profitable does not justify it. McDs would make a profit in almost any location.

As you said Procap is not an ideal loctaion, but in my opinion it is far better that the proposed one. I don't live near Lidl, but if I did I would hate this to be built beside my home. I am sure that it would have a negitive impact on the value of home too.
    Whilst I'd personally love to see them located some place like there, I was thinking more along the lines of "If I was to set up a McD's somewhere in Greystones, where would be a good location". If I was that prospective business owner and someone pointed out that location to me I'd probably look at them with raised eye brows in a "are you serious?" kind of way.

Agree. But to the "are you serious?" question I would reply "yes".
    I can't speak for everybody, but all of the Greystones residents that I know (lots) they love the fact that living in Greystones means that they don't have to live beside a McDs.

How do you make that out?

Anecdotal.
    I have lived for most of my life in the area (I am now the wrong side of 40), I went to school locally. So as you can imagine I know many people form Greystones. Many of these people have had to pay a premium and travel further each day to work/college to live in such a beautiful location. From talking to them (the ones that still live in the area) I am confident that none of them would like to live beside McDs.

There are people that are not bothered by this and that like to live in more built up areas. They tend to move out, live in cities etc.
    Each to thier own.

Agree. But to the "are you serious?" question I would reply "yes".
    I can't speak for everybody, but all of the Greystones residents that I know (lots) they love the fact that living in Greystones means that they don't have to live beside a McDs.

The 'are you serious' bit was me pretending to be the McD person when someone says "You should locate here". You have to admit from a business point of view for THEM it's not great - not that I could give two hoot, just donning a pretend business cap for a second when I wrote that.

Been in Greystones for coming up on 29 years (bar a year and a half abroad), friends and I have been having this conversation about the McDonalds location for a good while now (20+ of us - all from and some still living in Greystones) and 18 of them don't particularly want a McD's in the town, 1 of them is indifferent, and 1 of them thinks it would be good, but didn't like the idea of it being located by the school.

Stats for a 'survey' amongst friends)

The 'are you serious' bit was me pretending to be the McD person when someone says "You should locate here".

Yes, I understood that.
    If they did not like the alternative location, so be it would be my attitude.

I think we have to look at the bigger picture.
    I accept that it would have provided a few jobs (mostly low paid) but this is likely at the expense of similar jobs in other fast food outlets in the locality. No real net gain.
    You have to admit from a business point of view for THEM it's not great

I agree that it is not as good in terms of profitability, but in my opinion it would still make plenty.
    Been in Greystones for coming up on 29 years (bar a year and a half abroad), friends and I have been having this conversation about the McDonalds location for a good while now (20+ of us - all from and some still living in Greystones) and 18 of them don't particularly want a McD's in the town, 1 of them is indifferent, and 1 of them thinks it would be good, but didn't like the idea of it being located by the school.

Stats for a 'survey' amongst friends)

Very similar results to my "survey".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yes but the thread is about mcdonalds. .NOT jokers not any other fast food joint..its coming across a bit *needy* to continue to use other fast food outlets to complain about and diss people who wernt happy with the planned location....a vast amount of people from all ages .statuses objected for diffrent reasons..in most countrys on the planet..general moral common sense prevails so as to not locate fast food joints near schools ..we had an opportunity to exercise our participation in the planning process here and we did..and it worked..I. now. for one respectively suggest the thread is closed and we all move on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

They sell burgers and fries!? Exploit is a very strong word to use?

What do tesco and the others offer back to the community?

Tesco allow all sorts of collections. .from old folks.to kids soccer teams raise money in store .they contribute locally to community projects. .they contribute to national food bank charitys...computers for schools..lets not forget club cards..need I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How about locating it in the mess that is the North Beach side of the harbour? Out of the way, plus you have somewhere to sit down and eat after doing the cliff walk?

An added bonus would be the landscaping of the area could be done at the same time.

I'm surprised this got no reaction :). I see KFC were also refused planning in Arklow for a drive thru too. They were hoping to go in the Tesco car park

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'm surprised this got no reaction :). I see KFC were also refused planning in Arklow for a drive thru too. They were hoping to go in the Tesco car park

Thats a bit harsh as there is already a mcd's by the entrance to tesco.

Jimjay wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh as there is already a mcd's by the entrance to tesco.

Sorry, I jumped the gun there a bit. The decision to grant planning permission has been appealed to ABP by a Residence Associtation.

From the Wicklow People
    KFC might be off the menu for Arklow if an Bord Pleanala upholds an appeal from a local residential association.

KFC had been granted planning permission by Arklow Town Council for a drive through restaurant with an associated drive-through lane, signage and parking for 26 cars at Tesco Carpark.

However the decision has been appealed to An Bord Plealana by the Mayfair Court Residents Association.

A decision is expected by March 18

Like you, I'd say it would be unfair not to grant permission seeing as there is a drive through across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

''but this is likely at the expense of similar jobs in other fast food outlets in the locality. No real net gain. ''Why? So every food outlet that has opened in Greystones has resulted in damaging another? Nonse! Also, People will exit a motorway for McDs and maybe spend something else in the town. People will drive to a McDs. They currently do( To Bray)from here, Newtown,Delgany.
    ok these are student jobs mostly but jobs nonetheless.

Looks like the Government are looking into an exclusion zone for new fast-food restaurants around schools and playgrounds, according to an article in the Indo, see here
    AN exclusion zone for new fast-food restaurants around schools and playgrounds is being considered by the Government.

The national battle against obesity is to be stepped up considerably with a 'no fry zone' of 1.5km around schools, playgrounds and youth sports facilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you draw 1.5km radius circles from all the schools in Greystones you've basically covered the entire town !!! Someone hasn't thought this one out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Silly proposal. It protects existing operators from extra competition (because reduced competition is *always* good in any market), and further benefits them in that it creates value in having an already-established fast-food unit with proper planning within the exclusion zone. You won't see fast-food units in new locations, but you'll see new operators in established locations (having paid a premium to get into it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

They are just looking for an excuse to build schools in the middle of nowhere on cheaper land :)

• Advertisement

I've just updated the link in my previous post as it wasn't opening the article correctly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement