Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminists sabotage yet another talk on men's equality

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭iptba

(This is from 2010, so before the more recent incidents discussed here)

I was just reading this article which talks about how mutual violence and female-on-male violence has been ignored.

It mentions how feminists have reacted to researchers highlighting the rate of female-to-male violence was equal to the rate of male-to-female violence
    Now, many people of sound mind might well say, “Fine, let’s just focus our attention on dealing with abusers and the abused, regardless of the sex.” But to say things are not that simple is a monumental understatement. Richard Gelles is currently a dean at the University of Pennsylvania and holds The Joanne and Raymond Welsh Chair of Child Welfare and Family Violence in the School of Social Policy & Practice. He is an internationally known expert in domestic violence, and was influential in the passage of the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997.

Gelles wrote, regarding his work with Suzanne Steinmetz and Murray Strauss, “The response to our finding that the rate of female-to-male violence was equal to the rate of male-to-female violence not only produced heated scholarly criticism, but intense and long lasting personal attacks. All three of us received death threats. Bomb threats were phoned in to conference centers and buildings where we were scheduled to present.”

Now is it me, or is making terroristic threats of bombing and murder a rather ironic way to protest being called violent?
    http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/domestic-violence-women-are-half-the-problem/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

My personal experience of trying to suggest that the rate of male victims is far higher than what the media suggest is met with very interesting responses. It is never as extreme as described above but I get told everything from its my imagination to issues with women etc.

June 6 Canadian TV piece on feminists shutting down meetings

After link you need /youtube inside the square brackets not youtube i.e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Cheers! The FAQ advice isn't as clear as it could be...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cheers! The FAQ advice isn't as clear as it could be...
    Any context on this? The title seems to be slightly misleading as it looks to be the coming together of 2 groups

Mentions a few events feminists have shut down in Toronto:
    June 11, 2014
    Feminist Slacktivists Shut-Down Free Speech In Toronto (Feat. Stephanie Guthrie & ArtScape)
    http://www.genuinewitty.com/2014/06/11/feminist-slacktivists-shut-down-free-speech-in-toronto-feat-stephanie-guthrie-artscape/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Any context on this? The title seems to be slightly misleading as it looks to be the coming together of 2 groups

A pro-abortion rally, organised by the National Women's Movement, Argentina organised a rally and chose the Cathedral as it's destination. There are other videos of this on Youtube but this is the longest and is the only one that has the organiser accredited. The others omit much of the intimidation, spitting and interference with people.

Had I been able to supply a correct link myself, I would have added that, were the roles reversed, had a crowd of men confronted a band of interlocked women to gain access to the building; painted on their faces, spray-painted their genital regions, spat on them, hit them, shoved underwear in their mouths and simulated a sexual act to intimidate them, the story would have made headline News across the Globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

This happened last month in Detroit:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140602/METRO/306020106

Quite frankly i'm sick of the ongoing war between feminists and the MRA, and the divide its causing.

Men and women should come together and form an "Equalist Movement" that is gender neutral - even the name,
    and fight for equality for both genders simultaneously

I think its very selfish to focus on bettering your own gender solely.

An equalist group would also outnumber the extremist minorities on both sides.

Maybe i'm too idealistic?
    Am I just a dreamer?

Piece on Canadian TV:
    Men’s issues group on campus

August 12, 2014 13:29

Women’s issues groups have existed for years, however a men’s issues group faces difficulty.
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3726962413001

I wonder whether the tactics of those who want to deny free speech are backfiring and they are ending up helping to get publicity for the Men's Issues groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

what the **** is up with people? how is it it that mens rights and feminism seem to exist in such a binary and conflicting fashion. There is no need for the two to be opposed to each other as they have the same goals ( I hope, I mean crazies on both sides excluded)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

what the **** is up with people? how is it it that mens rights and feminism seem to exist in such a binary and conflicting fashion. There is no need for the two to be opposed to each other as they have the same goals ( I hope, I mean crazies on both sides excluded)

The type of feminism I identify with is not conflicting to men's rights at all. I agree they have same goals, its just the extremists get the attention always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Because commuities are easily formed on shared hatreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Doge wrote: »
    This happened last month in Detroit:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140602/METRO/306020106

Quite frankly i'm sick of the ongoing war between feminists and the MRA, and the divide its causing.

Men and women should come together and form an "Equalist Movement" that is gender neutral - even the name,
    and fight for equality for both genders simultaneously

I think its very selfish to focus on bettering your own gender solely.

An equalist group would also outnumber the extremist minorities on both sides.

Maybe i'm too idealistic?
    Am I just a dreamer?

I think there are issues that are specific to either gender though. Men's mental health and suicide being one I can think of (of course women have those problems too but not to the same extent; the rates among young men are shocking.).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

I think it’s because feminism has allowed itself to become defined as opposition to men; that is its sole purpose these days (at least in the west).

White feminist tears are really a lucrative business these days and since the business sells victimhood it requires males to be cast as the villain in order to protect its revenue stream.

Equality is the last thing (professional) western feminists need or want.

At least that's my view of it.

iptba wrote: »
    Piece on Canadian TV:
    Men’s issues group on campus

August 12, 2014 13:29

Women’s issues groups have existed for years, however a men’s issues group faces difficulty.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3726962413001

I wonder whether the tactics of those who want to deny free speech are backfiring and they are ending up helping to get publicity for the Men's Issues groups.
    Piece on the incident:
    http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/08/11/robyn-urback-protesters-fail-to-shut-down-mens-issues-lecture-celebrate-anyway/
    The Revolutionary Student Movement didn’t grasp what was wrong with suggesting ideas don’t belong on campus, and evidently, they still don’t. Any real gripes they might have with the concepts expressed in these lectures are lost in the childishness of their antics, the self-righteousness of their attempted censorship and the offensiveness of their delight at their supposed success.

In attempting to silence those with whom they disagree, these students manage only to parade their own bigotry. That is nothing to celebrate, especially when — at U of T — they can’t even manage to see through their attempted upheaval. It is a disgrace to feminists everywhere that protesters take on these antics in their name.

Seriously? wrote: »
    I think it’s because feminism has allowed itself to become defined as opposition to men; that is its sole purpose these days (at least in the west).

White feminist tears are really a lucrative business these days and since the business sells victimhood it requires males to be cast as the villain in order to protect its revenue stream.

Equality is the last thing (professional) western feminists need or want.

At least that's my view of it.

to be fair feminists in the west do good work around reproductive rights as well as highlighting the negative effects of gender roles on society. i see no reason to view feminism as a threat (no feminist i have ever spoken to has promoted anything but equality) unless the mra v feminism **** across the Atlantic comes to Ireland

to be fair feminists in the west do good work around reproductive rights as well as highlighting the negative effects of gender roles on society. i see no reason to view feminism as a threat (no feminist i have ever spoken to has promoted anything but equality) unless the mra v feminism **** across the Atlantic comes to Ireland
    Feminists in the UK and Ireland have been calling for different, weaker sentences for female offenders, saying prison isn't a suitable place for them.

One of the advocates of this approach even held a women-only meeting with members of the Oireachtas before.

I think the approach to present domestic violence as something men do to women* isn't promoting equality with regard to how you are treated if you're a domestic violence victim.

I think the approach to present domestic violence as something women do to men isn't promoting equality with regard to how you are treated if you're a domestic violence victim.

that's why thing like the don't be that guy campaign got replaced with the y=s campaign

iptba wrote:
    I think the approach to present domestic violence as something women do to men isn't promoting equality with regard to how you are treated if you're a domestic violence victim.
    that's why thing like the don't be that guy campaign got replaced with the y=s campaign

I'm not familiar with this - can you post a link.

I very much doubt whatever it is proves your contention that:
    no feminist i have ever spoken to has promoted anything but equality

This link gives examples of women's groups playing the down the importance of domestic violence against men
    http://www.menshumanrightsireland.org/index.php?n=49

I and others have been posting examples of bias in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082283

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with this - can you post a link.

I very much doubt whatever it is proves your contention that:

This link gives examples of women's groups playing the down the importance of domestic violence against men
    http://www.menshumanrightsireland.org/index.php?n=49

I and others have been posting examples of bias in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082283

they were su campaigns against sexual assault the don't be that guy one was rejected as it only focused on men as perpetrators, y=s was the replacement (designed by the same people) which focused on the importance of consent without focusing on one gender or orientation

the quickest thing for me to find was the facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/DontBeThatGuyGalway?fref=ts

I wasn't trying to prove a contention as I'm not disagreeing with anyone just adding to the discussion, that link about the man up campaign is making the same point i am

they were su campaigns against sexual assault the don't be that guy one was rejected as it only focused on men as perpetrators, y=s was the replacement (designed by the same people) which focused on the importance of consent without focusing on one gender or orientation

the quickest thing for me to find was the facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/DontBeThatGuyGalway?fref=ts

I wasn't trying to prove a contention as I'm not disagreeing with anyone just adding to the discussion, that link about the man up campaign is making the same point i am
    The Y=S campaign is about consent which is a different issue from domestic violence. So not sure how relevant it is to the point I made:
    I think the approach to present domestic violence as something men do to women* isn't promoting equality with regard to how you are treated if you're a domestic violence victim.

I think this and other issues (I also mentioned the view being promoted regarding different sentencing based on sex) mean people interested in equality can justifiably get annoyed at some feminist approaches to issues.

*I just noticed a typo I made in the earlier message.

What I love is that those mad ones who call themselves feminists are apparently just a minority fringe while apparently the small PUA/extreme "MRA" stuff is just as small-scale and yet poses some kind of threat and is used as a strawman with impunity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Playboy wrote: »
    The lunatics have taken over the asylum in Canada unfortunately.

This+1 million.

There is all kinds of going on's in Canada at the moment and expect more to hit the headlines.

Advertisement