Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused

Options
  • 13-04-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I want to have a new alarm installed in my home. I got some quotes from different installers in my area but I have recieved conflicting information.
    One guy recommeded hkc quantum system with downstairs windows and doors alarmed with inertia sensors plus 2 motion sensors. I have upc phone and he said that alarm system could be connected to the upc and would ring my mobile when it went off. He also says that the alarm bell on the front of my house should be wired to the control box.
    Another company says that hkc is a cheap system made in china and that shock sensors only cause false alarms and that pirs are the better option. he says that the outside box should only be a decoy as one that rings will only cause a nuisance. he also says that wiring the outside box would be ugly and that the wires could be cut anyway. finally he says that upc can't be used because no insurance company would cover an alarm monitored through upc. He recommends a gsm dialler instead.

A lot of this information seems to be different and I don't know what to do at this stage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The second guy is a chancer and is looking for the easy installation, stay well away.

You're always better off with a wired external bell and nearly all of the time the cable can be installed very neatly.

Beams will only activate once the burglar is physically inside your house, window sensors will detect him trying to get in.

All forms of monitoring have their vulnerabilities, for me gsm is as safe as the rest and although gsm blockers are available it's extremely rare for them to be used during a domestic burglary, I have never come across one myself.

Sounds like the chancer was an eircom sales rep.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The second guy is a chancer and is looking for the easy installation, stay well away.

Exactly what I thought.
    Very convenient that the simplest installation provides the best security.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi
    I want to have a new alarm installed in my home. I got some quotes from different installers in my area but I have recieved conflicting information.
    One guy recommeded hkc quantum system with downstairs windows and doors alarmed with inertia sensors plus 2 motion sensors. I have upc phone and he said that alarm system could be connected to the upc and would ring my mobile when it went off. He also says that the alarm bell on the front of my house should be wired to the control box.
    Another company says that hkc is a cheap system made in china and that shock sensors only cause false alarms and that pirs are the better option. he says that the outside box should only be a decoy as one that rings will only cause a nuisance. he also says that wiring the outside box would be ugly and that the wires could be cut anyway. finally he says that upc can't be used because no insurance company would cover an alarm monitored through upc. He recommends a gsm dialler instead.

A lot of this information seems to be different and I don't know what to do at this stage. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know who the second Guy is, not Eircom.
    He tells people that shock sensors only cause false alarm, there have being no advances in shock sensors in the last 25 years bla bla bla..
    He is just quoting a cheap system to get the job. We could all do the same but in reality you would be sold a system that will only give you a false sense of security. Perimeter protection backed up by a few PIRs is going to protect your home more. I too have never seen a GSM blocker used on a private residence. They do all have vulnerabilities just like the UPC having the cable cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AdrianEmpey

Ok thanks lads. It's hard to know what to believe when given conflicting information and the 2nd company has on their website that they
    "has been rated best in industry in five independent surveys in the past eighteen months"
    Is that the guy you were thinking of Altor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

. It's hard to know what to believe when given conflicting information and the 2nd company has on their website that they
    "has been rated best in industry in five independent surveys in the past eighteen months"

Ask to see the independent surveys,& even if they do exist ,surveys portray for the benefit of who commissions them...
    I'll put a +1 to fred & Altors recommendations.
    Steer clear
    He is trying for the cheap & quick installation.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks lads. It's hard to know what to believe when given conflicting information and the 2nd company has on their website that they
    Is that the guy you were thinking of Altor?

Thats the guy alright :D

Have seen them to be cheaper than any other company, even have a bit about being cheaper the Eircom. All depends on whats being installed. Remember, you get what you pay for when it comes to cheaper brands.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Adrain, before committing to the Quantum maybe get someone to give you a look at the new GSD i70. This panel brings IP to this level of system with a phone app fully developed. It also has a nice feature where notifications are pushed to the App ruling out the need for a separate dialler for monitoring or the costs involved with text or voice calls etc.

Anyone want to write up a compassion thread???;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AdrianEmpey

Thanks again everyone

KoolKid wrote: »
    Anyone want to write up a compassion thread???;)

Your quite capable of setting up the comparison thread ;)

I would be waiting a while to hear of reports from installers before rushing in to use this system. Not knocking it as it does look like a good system and with the app it will be a good seller. Just from using other products from this company I would be waiting till its installed in a couple of hundred premises to get feedback. Good or bad....

I think GSD have learnt from their mistakes of the past.
    They launched the grade 3 panel with things not ready and not knowing what the market needed.
    There is no great demand for a domestic grade 3 panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement