Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord doing property checks.

Options
  • 13-04-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Could someone please tell me what exactly these involve? Will the landlord/agent be checking bedrooms or is it just a quick look around to see that the property isn't falling apart?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Depends on the landlord. One landlord might just do a drive by and make sure the roof isn't falling in, another may scrutinise every piece of property they own in the premises.

Bearing that in mind, I wouldn't assume that the landlord isn't going to inspect bedrooms if they've given you notice of an inspection. If it's a furnished property expect them to inspect all furniture, and the complete property. Clearly rummaging through drawers would be a bit OTT, but, that said, if they've left an antique dresser which has become damaged, it only reasonable to expect them to inspect and attempt to ascertain the complete nature of the damage.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Every landlord will be different but I would anticipate that they will inspect all rooms including bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Zulu wrote: »
    Clearly rummaging through drawers would be a bit OTT

A bit OTT? A landlord has no right to rummage through any of your stuff, especially in the bedroom, and if one tries such carry on they should be politely and firmly asked to leave the property immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weefa

I have been renting for years, I have gone through at least 10 different landlords and some do inspections, some don't and some wait until you are at the end of the lease to check everything or send in an agent.

Anytime I have had an inspection, I always clean the house as if they are going to go into every room, but every time so far the landlord tends to walk in and stand around having a chat for a few minutes, (I ALWAYS offer them a cuppa!), has a quick scoot around down stairs but never checks the bathrooms or bedrooms. I think if they walk in and the place is smelling fresh and generally well looked after at first glance they won't bother delving any deeper. If the walk into a house where the place is untidy, the floors are dirty or there is dishes in the sink I think they are more likely to want to see more.

Just remember though that they are in YOUR home, and they can only come in if you let them and they give you notice, they have no right to look through any of your belongings or to open drawers or presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

djimi wrote: »
    A bit OTT? A landlord has no right to rummage through any of your stuff, especially in the bedroom, and if one tries such carry on they should be politely and firmly asked to leave the property immediately.

I acknowledge your concern for privacy. However, you might consider their point of view. Do you think they are even remotely interested in your personal belongings let alone want to invade that? Of course, I'm sure there area few " oddball " exceptions but from their point of view, all they want to determine is that the property hasn't benn fecked over.

I think the last poster (weefa) understands this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I acknowledge your concern for privacy. However, you might consider their point of view. Do you think they are even remotely interested in your personal belongings let alone want to invade that? Of course, I'm sure there area few " oddball " exceptions but from their point of view, all they want to determine is that the property hasn't benn fecked over.

I think the last poster (weefa) understands this

Which they can do without the need to go opening drawers which might contain your delicates and other personal items! There has to be a limit; the landlord is not entitled to invade your privacy, regardless of their intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

djimi wrote: »
    Which they can do without the need to go opening drawers which might contain your delicates and other personal items! There has to be a limit; the landlord is not entitled to invade your privacy, regardless of their intention.

If something like that occurred, that would be so far from overstepping the line, they cant even see the line! Doing something like you describe would have nothing to do with a motivation to check that the property was in order.

Is it safe to assume that such a visit can only be carried out in the presence of the tenant?
    In which case what you describe would be highly unlikely to occur..

Advertisement