Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexplicable huge hike in GB usage with Vodafone

• 13-04-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I'm a Vodafone at Home customer for the last few years. Typically, I would be well below the 40GB monthly limit. However, since January I've just checked my usage and it's:

Jan > 58GB
    Feb > 62GB
    March > 104GB
    April > 47GB

We have not changed our download habits in the last three months and I'm at a loss as to how the date has increased so much.

Vodafone have said they don't monitor it so closely that they would be able to tell me what led to such a hike. I'm thinking that maybe the wireless network has been hacked into despite the fact that I'm using WPA2 security.

Are there any monitoring tools out there to get to grips on what might be causing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes, have a look at this but do a google as well.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

and can you make your wireless more secure ie have it set up for secure access to know mac addresses. look in manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Out of curiosity, did Vodafone charge you for breaking the cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Out of curiosity, did Vodafone charge you for breaking the cap?

Too right they did! €1 per GB over 40GB :(

Actually, discovered the issue.

Let's say son...xbox...multiple demos...grounded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I got a huge hike in March too. With UPC. I guess it's because I had a new pc and reinstalled Windows 7 twice with all updates and reinstalled Windows 8 on my laptop as well as download a lot of PC games and programs lol but managed to use 874GB. 374gb over the acceptable user policy of 500gb with UPC. They were sound about it tho, just informed me via a letter that it has detrimental effect on their network and if I continue to use this amount they'd auto switch me to a more expensive bundle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DaLad wrote: »
    I got a huge hike in March too. With UPC. I guess it's because I had a new pc and reinstalled Windows 7 twice with all updates and reinstalled Windows 8 on my laptop as well as download a lot of PC games and programs lol but managed to use 874GB. 374gb over the acceptable user policy of 500gb with UPC. They were sound about it tho, just informed me via a letter that it has detrimental effect on their network and if I continue to use this amount they'd auto switch me to a more expensive bundle.

Well UPC are offering unlimited packages now, so there should be no need to move to a more expensive package or worry about going over a cap. Only issue is that you may have to sign up for a 12 month contract to move to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

bk wrote: »
    Well UPC are offering unlimited packages now, so there should be no need to move to a more expensive package or worry about going over a cap. Only issue is that you may have to sign up for a 12 month contract to move to this.

"From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB From

25thFebruary 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances."

I wasn't aware of the change, thanks for informing me.

It was my first ever time going over the limit anyway but no harm in refreshing the 12 month contract to get the unlimited allowance :D

*edit* - Just changed to the new unlimited plan & upgraded from 50/60mb to 100/120mb all for just €2 extra per month :D

Advertisement