Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about my g/f's MacBook

• 13-04-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

My g/f bought a MacBook in 2008 (aluminium, 13", C2D). It's been going grand, powering through everything she needs and still runs perfectly today, nearly 5 years on.

Thing is, she never updated the OS and is still on Leopard. We've been away for the past year and so she's a couple of OS's behind. She noticed there a few weeks ago that she now can't watch any flash videos at all so that's YouTube etc completely out of the question (which she is always on). In order to update flash to the latest version, she has to update to the latest OS (Lion/M.Lion). She also can't connect her phone to iTunes either as she has to do the same.

She doesn't care about the latest OS etc but now she has to look into upgrading to it and with this, she'll probably have to upgrade the ram as well. With new ram, updating to the latest OS (think she has to purchase all the others in between as well in order to get there) she'll probably have to spend at least 150 upwards. Is this standard? Does Apple kill the basic functionality of their older laptops if you decide not to upgrade the OS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

You will be better off posting this in the Mac forum as this is really just iPhone iPad etc etc someone over there will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

shuffles03 wrote: »
    My g/f bought a MacBook in 2008 (aluminium, 13", C2D). It's been going grand, powering through everything she needs and still runs perfectly today, nearly 5 years on.

Thing is, she never updated the OS and is still on Leopard. We've been away for the past year and so she's a couple of OS's behind. She noticed there a few weeks ago that she now can't watch any flash videos at all so that's YouTube etc completely out of the question (which she is always on). In order to update flash to the latest version, she has to update to the latest OS (Lion/M.Lion). She also can't connect her phone to iTunes either as she has to do the same.

She doesn't care about the latest OS etc but now she has to look into upgrading to it and with this, she'll probably have to upgrade the ram as well. With new ram, updating to the latest OS (think she has to purchase all the others in between as well in order to get there) she'll probably have to spend at least 150 upwards. Is this standard? Does Apple kill the basic functionality of their older laptops if you decide not to upgrade the OS?

Hi there may be issues upgrading to lion/mountain lion apple restricted it to machines of particular ages. Check apples website for upgrade info or google it.

With regard to your other question I don't think apple restricts features on older machines as such. Just technology moves on and software requires more upto date hardware to work propoerly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple hasn't killed anything. The laptop still works. Things like Flash are extremely insecure and receive almost weekly updates. You can't expect a 5 year old operating system to be supported forever. Almost nobody is running Leopard anymore.

Anyway, assuming it's a late 2008 unibody MBP:

- Upgrading the RAM to 4GB will cost €38.39.

- Upgrading the OS to 10.6 will cost €20.

- And then to Mountain Lion (10.8) will cost €18.

So less than €80 total.

Although upgrading to 10.8 isn't necessary. 10.6 will probably be enough. She doesn't have to upgrade the RAM either. Both SL and ML will run with just 2GB. So with those two upgrades knocked off it will only set her back the €20 for Snow Leopard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Using a 2008 allu macbook now. I bought it second hand off a guy. Not sure if anything has changed but as the App Store isn't available on Leopard you will need to get a physical copy (Disc) of Snow Leopard. SL once installed, does have the App Store and you can continue the upgrade path if you desire, through that. I'm sure there are still places to buy the physical copy of Snow Leopard.
    That's how it was for me anyway. Hope it helps. I also stuck 4 gb in it to give it a bit of a lift too. I've have stuck with SL but I occasionally come across apps with only work with Lion and upwards.

Advertisement