Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless - Plugs v Laptop

Options
  • 13-04-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I have UPC wireless and get far better speeds on the laptop then on the plugs (through electricity) I have for my pc. Distance from the router is the same for both machines. I also had a usb dongle for the pc but got worse speeds. Please can someone advise what I need to do to improve the PC speed. Both machines are 1.5 years old using either Win 7 or Win 8. For example downloading in Steam I can get 3mb per sec, but on the PC I only get 800kb to 1.2mb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

This may not seem helpful but wireless is for convenience and casual browsing. If you want a strong stable connection for serious streaming or gaming you need to use a cable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

Is there any benefit in turning wifi off on the epc3925 box and using a netgear wnr2200 for wifi instead? getting between 12-20mb wireless at the moment from a 50mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I have a similar setup to yourself. Have the PC in the back of the house using a TP link powerline adapter to get a wired connection using the power cables in the house. Getting about the same as I would get wired directly to the router. On steam I'm getting around 3MBps down.
    I have the EPC modem in bridge and have it paired up with a TPLink 3600

Advertisement