Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese/ thai take aways

Options
  • 13-04-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

What would people say is the best take aways in Galway city and the best dish
    I use golden mountain but I really want to try another place some good Thai food would be nice, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thai Garden do takeaway with http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/thai-garden-1.html. I love Thai food and think they're very good. Can't go wrong with chicken satay, pad thai, and green prawn curry. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

For Chinese we use Royal Villa Salthill (http://www.royalvilla.ie/). Unlike many we've tried the sauces and flavours of each dish are individual and unique. So be it kung pao, general tso, black been, sweet and sour, or the spicy shredded beef you can't go wrong.

Chi are well worth a look, especially when you want something different.

For either get the mixed chinese appetiser from Tesco for €5. It will save you money and taste much better as most appetisers don't travel well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my opinion

Thai:
    Olives Restaurant Salthill

Chinese:
    Chi Asian Takeaway Westside
    Curry House Oriental Newcastle Road

www.just-eat.ie/area/galway-city-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I swear by China Garden in Wellpark. Good food that doesn't leave me feeling greasy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

biko wrote: »
    In my opinion

Thai:

I ordered once from them - much overpriced and not great, china garden is cheaper and the same if not better quality!

What would people say is the best take aways in Galway city and the best dish
    I use golden mountain but I really want to try another place some good Thai food would be nice, thanks :)

I wonder if they improved, ordered once on new years eve about 4 years ago and it was disgusting -every dish and snack smelled of the same old oil -yack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

How many - if any - of the workers in Chinese takeaways in Galway are actually paid the minimum wage?

What percentage of staff in Chinese takeaways in Galway are working legally?

How many - if any - of the workers in Chinese takeaways in Galway are actually paid the minimum wage?

What percentage of staff in Chinese takeaways in Galway are working legally?
    That does not pertain to this thread. Feel free to start a thread on this separately, perhaps Irish Economy or Legal Discussion foras.

Did you have a suggestion sorcha, or did you just post to slag the places recommended by others? Please read #8 in charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

We always go for The Oriental Palace in Salthill.
    It's across from The Spinnaker hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Can't fault King Ding in Rahoon for Chinese (veggie in particular).
    Good value and tastes fresh not oily in general.

• Advertisement

Did you have a suggestion sorcha, or did you just post to slag the places recommended by others? Please read #8 in charter.

? It is just my experience -thats it!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Can't fault King Ding in Rahoon for Chinese (veggie in particular).
    Good value and tastes fresh not oily in general.

I have to admit the exterior is a little off putting so I haven't tried but I must give it a go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Have any of the people not saying Rose Garden in Westside tried the place? Used 5 or 6 different takeaways in Galway and found them all fairly rotten with Rose Garden being an exception.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sorsha wrote: »
    ? It is just my experience -thats it!

His point is that this thread is for recommending places, not doing the opposite :P so go ahead and recommend what you do think is good, rather than what you don't.

I'll say that I quite like the occasional chinese takeaway (I leave the thai stuff to cook for myself) from the Golden Rickshaw on mary's street, the people in there are lovely and the food is always grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not a fan of greasy, orange coloured, msg filled Chinese places so the only one for me would be Chi, their ingredients are far better, the food is more authentic and theres a distinct lack of grease.

Not a fan of greasy, orange coloured, msg filled Chinese places so the only one for me would be Chi, their ingredients are far better, the food is more authentic and theres a distinct lack of grease.

Not all are greasy, orange coloured and MSG filled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

amiable wrote: »
    Not all are greasy, orange coloured and MSG filled
    Many are greasy, orange coloured and msg filled, my apologies Chairman.:cool:

Many are greasy, orange coloured and msg filled, my apologies Chairman.:cool:

The irony

Let's stick with recommendations and stay away from trying to get a dig in at other restaurants ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

amiable wrote: »
    I have to admit the exterior is a little off putting so I haven't tried but I must give it a go :)

+1 for King Ding, don't be put off by the exterior. Nice and clean on the inside and they do a tasty takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Chi in westside... Savagetacular grub

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chi was for me. Loved it.
    Thai Gardens was also lovely.

Have any of the people not saying Rose Garden in Westside tried the place? Used 5 or 6 different takeaways in Galway and found them all fairly rotten with Rose Garden being an exception.

I tried it recently, and it was ok. Ordered much the same dishes as I normally get in King Ding just to try, and have to say I prefer the latter for those dishes. Nothing wrong with Rose Garden though, it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

inisboffin wrote: »
    I tried it recently, and it was ok. Ordered much the same dishes as I normally get in King Ding just to try, and have to say I prefer the latter for those dishes. Nothing wrong with Rose Garden though, it was grand.

Chi is very good but can have a long wait for food. golden mountain I quite like for quick food. Asian tea house is the best Chinese/Asian food in Galway in my opinion. especially with a few drinks in the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

curry house newcastle road, used to be a bamboo man untill they changed the chips

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Chinatown opposite the hospital.. NOM. The restaurant is nicer than the takeaway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

rose garden is unreal.used to use king ding but i was fed up waiting up on an hour and a half for deliveries sometimes.The food is good both with quality and portions and the prices are good.the guy(the owner I think) is a plesent man who often gives me discount whether its to promote the business or just out of goodwill i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In my opinion

Thai:

Chinese:
    Chi Asian Takeaway Westside
    Curry House Oriental Newcastle Road

www.just-eat.ie/area/galway-city-centre

+1 for the curry house....looks crap outside but food was excellent salt chilli chicken best I have had!!!

Aye, that my favourite dish too.

• Advertisement

skinny90 wrote: »
    rose garden is unreal.used to use king ding but i was fed up waiting up on an hour and a half for deliveries sometimes.The food is good both with quality and portions and the prices are good.the guy(the owner I think) is a plesent man who often gives me discount whether its to promote the business or just out of goodwill i dont know

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. Rose Garden was (just a bit) late but I call King Din 'the fastest delivery in the west'!
    They've never been even 5 mins late from what they indicated!

Advertisement