Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Pruning

• 13-04-2013 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Sorry, but yet another rose pruning Q.

I've got a patio rose that I pruned slightly just before the frost. I've been told to prune it right back in the Spring once the frost's gone and then feed, which is fine. I reckon a couple of weeks, and then I'll be able to do it.

But in the meantime, I've noticed lots of new growth (leaves) on the plant.

How should I proceed? Should I leave it now, or prune around the new growth??

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

How big is the plant?

A photo of the rose would help.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OK. I'll try to put one up. The plant is only about 2 years old...

What I am getting at is, you may not need to prune it this year much, and then next year do it a bit earlier.

Put the pic up and I'll help best I can.

[IMG][/img]IMGP00011_zps7d653918.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMGP00032_zpsea7b64ff.jpghttp://

IMGP00032_zps93a2c964.jpg

Was having a little Photobucket trouble, but here we are...TIA for any help!

Hi Bajaincork,

You have a very nice rose there!

Not too much trouble, next year though prune the rose mid February to beginning of March.

This time just follow these few steps, cut off the remaining dead flowers back to a bud, leaf or joint.

Open up the centre of the plant slightly to allow air to cirulate, it should resemble a wine glass shape.

Feed the rose with Toprose or any other generic Rose food.

Top up the container a little with some more compost to about 1 inch below the rim of the pot.

Hope this helps, if you need to know anything else let me know.

M.

• Advertisement

Aw, thank you so much! :D That's really helpful and I really appreciate the trouble taken.

I didn't prune earlier, as the weather was so bad, and I worried the frost might kill it, but will be feeding from next week if the weather stays dry enough. I've several other patio plants that need severe haircuts, so I'll be kept reasonably busy...

Don't worry too much about frosts, I am further west than you but was pruning roses 1 month or so ago.

Plants are ppretty tough little things really.

M.

Advertisement