Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work Panel 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Socialwork2013

Can I ask what courses are graduating in June and which are graduating in Autumn? It seems those graduating in Autumn cant work until November :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bonnie88

November god that's mad, can i ask where you heard that?

My official graduation is in sept but the college are gonna confer us in absenteeism in July, so we can register with Coru...which seems like is gonna be a very long drawn out process.

Maybe you could discuss that with your college too

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joemooney81

I'm in nuig and we're graduating on the 26th of June, not sure about others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laura Mc Evoy

Congrats to those who have obtained work through the panel. I am a social worker who has recently returned from nearly 3 years working in child protection in the UK. I have found it very hard to get work in Ireland. Does anyone have any idea about when the next HSE panel is likely to be? Or any other advice about where I need to be looking would be great? My main area of interest is child mental health but I gather it may be pretty impossible to get work in this area at the moment, particularly when I am not on the panel? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Laura....three years experience in the UK is great and should really stand to you. As for the panel i think unfortunately your prob out of luck...i say the current panel will stand for a minimum of a year so you might have to wait awhile.

That said alot of my friends have obtained jobs through agencys CPL and TTM, so they might be the best avenue to go down, The jobs are meant to be temporary but could easily go on for a year..agency might be the perfect way to try out mental health and other areas.

Best of luck xxx

• Advertisement

Hey

Has anyone been getting txts abouts jobs outside their panel area? I got three today from another area...anyone know why were getting them or how we are ranked for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gl07

Hi all!im looking for some advice.im living in the uk at the moment and have been working as a social worker for the past six years.how do you go about signin up for the panel and when you do the panel can you choose what type of job you want to go for?id really like to get into fostering and adoption but am not sure it's possible. Any links to where I could read more?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 topcat28

Bonnie88, those texts are sent to everyone on the national panel when they cannot be filled from the existing panel in the geographical area. It presents a dilemma...hold out for your chosen area in the hope that a post will come up or take a permanent post in an area you aren't all that pushed about. I'd recommend contacting the PSW or area manger in your chosen area to see if they have been approved for funding to fill posts. I'm number 1 on panel for my area but I don't know yet if funding has been approved for any posts within Children & Families.

thanks topcat, first of all Congrats on gettin number 1 that's fantastic. Im number 2 on my panel so far iv gotten 8 Txts about my area and have expressed interest in 6 of them, no luck so far. so not sure if the positions are bull**** and are already filled or if there are just loads of ppl in the old panel ahead of me.

so far i have ignored emails from outside my area, hoping something comes up soon and i don't regret it.

you should get something very soon since your number 1 hopefully not many on the old panel ahead of you

anyone have have any idea how long after the deadline for expression of interest you should hear back if you were successfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lbouyle48

Does any one know if band a has a shelf life like after a year will we be off the panel or do we stay on it until we get a job??

• Advertisement

I think it stays untill we get a job....the reason behind me thinking this is coz our panel is a supplementary panel and anyone on the old panel is still on it and is ahead of us. So hopefully it will be the same for us, but hopefully it wont come to that and we have jobs well before the job is out?

Do you know if i ring the HSE recruitment panel will they tell me how many are on the old panel?

Gl07 wrote: »
    Hi all!im looking for some advice.im living in the uk at the moment and have been working as a social worker for the past six years.how do you go about signin up for the panel and when you do the panel can you choose what type of job you want to go for?id really like to get into fostering and adoption but am not sure it's possible. Any links to where I could read more?

Thanks!!

Hi, You cant just sign up for the panel im afraid....it opened this year April/May and there was a rigorous interview process....the last time it opened i think was 2 years before hand....i cant see it opening again for while...there are a couple of bands to go through before its empty only on band A on the moment.

For employment opp your best bet is agencies such as CPL and TTM or private services/hospitals etc

Hope that helps a little x

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lbouyle48

Bonnie88 wrote: »
    I think it stays untill we get a job....the reason behind me thinking this is coz our panel is a supplementary panel and anyone on the old panel is still on it and is ahead of us. So hopefully it will be the same for us, but hopefully it wont come to that and we have jobs well before the job is out?

Do you know if i ring the HSE recruitment panel will they tell me how many are on the old panel?

Ya it might be no harm in giving them a ring! I doubt there is many on the old panel tbh! I can ring them Momday, I'm working tomorrow and won't get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

In addition to CPL there are also a few private fostering agencies that employ social workers, Fostering First, Five Rivers and Orchard are the ones I've heard of. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lindade

To be selected in social work panel you must have a good knowledge about social work and social workers. Now school students also have good idea about social work because they have to write dissertation in social work for their academic purpose. The face to face interview will be about the basics of social work and your interest in the field. to perform well in this interview you can search internet and you can collect the articles about the social work. You must be aware of the social work in your society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barbaruuu

Hey just wondering to those on the panel....do you guys think things are awfully slow in terms of getting texts and emails etc. for positions? Have been getting a few but not in my area!!I would have assumed they would be flying in considering the levels of social work shortage at the moment! ! I wonder will this new Child and Family Agency bring in some more positions or does anyone have any info?

Hey everyone,

has anyone got any job offers yet? I accepted an offer over 8 weeks ago...its the slowest process ever!!!! has anyone actually started a job from the panel yet?

Last i heard they requested my docs certified and references that was last week, havent heard back since. Anyone gone past that stage yet, any idea how long of a wait i have ahead of me...keep in mind its been 8 weeks as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lady1984

Bonnie88 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

has anyone got any job offers yet? I accepted an offer over 8 weeks ago...its the slowest process ever!!!! has anyone actually started a job from the panel yet?

Last i heard they requested my docs certified and references that was last week, havent heard back since. Anyone gone past that stage yet, any idea how long of a wait i have ahead of me...keep in mind its been 8 weeks as it is

They should get you started soon. Have you called them to see why it is do slow. All the checks can take a few weeks but 8 weeks seems kind of long, it might be slow as they seem to be filling a number of posts and may have a lot of people to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SeanC320

hey folks im just wondering if some of ye can shed some light on the face to face interview as to what kind of questions are asked and what the whole process is like. Band B is now been called for interview in 3 weeks time, i would appreciate any help cheers :)

SeanC320 wrote: »
    hey folks im just wondering if some of ye can shed some light on the face to face interview as to what kind of questions are asked and what the whole process is like. Band B is now been called for interview in 3 weeks time, i would appreciate any help cheers :)

Hi that's great band b are being interviewed.

Tips:
    Know your application form inside out and make sure to throw the buzzwords from each question into your answer e.g.- empowering etc

Know how to carry out risk assessments, what you would need to consider

Mental health ... Working with a parent with mental Health difficulties ... Risks to baby

Refer to attachment theory

Refer to legislation and policies with your case examples

I was asked about purpose of child in care review plan, how you would prepare

If I think of more i will post more.

• Advertisement

Lady1984 wrote: »
    Hi that's great band b are being interviewed.

Tips:
    Know your application form inside out and make sure to throw the buzzwords from each question into your answer e.g.- empowering etc

Know how to carry out risk assessments, what you would need to consider

Mental health ... Working with a parent with mental Health difficulties ... Risks to baby

Refer to attachment theory

Refer to legislation and policies with your case examples

I was asked about purpose of child in care review plan, how you would prepare

If I think of more i will post more.

thanks so much i really appreciate that. Yeah its great just sick of hanging about really hard to get even called for interview, and agencies arent much help either, did offers come quick when band A was established? Im dreading this interview but im grateful for the tips it really helps :)

SeanC320 wrote: »
    thanks so much i really appreciate that. Yeah its great just sick of hanging about really hard to get even called for interview, and agencies arent much help either, did offers come quick when band A was established? Im dreading this interview but im grateful for the tips it really helps :)

You will be fine, the interview will fly by. Offers will come out two weeks or so after you receive your position on panel. Good luck ill post more if I can think of it. If you have more questions feel free ill do my best.

Lady1984 wrote: »
    You will be fine, the interview will fly by. Offers will come out two weeks or so after you receive your position on panel. Good luck ill post more if I can think of it. If you have more questions feel free ill do my best.

Cheers will do thanks once again, much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mo1

Hi,

Just looking for tips for the upcoming band b interviews??

Thanks,
    Mo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gl07

Thanks for your help!good luck to you all x

• Registered Users Posts: 10 robertsulli

I am on Thursday the 5th. Best of luck to all in Band B! I don`t care what number I get, as long as I get on the panel! :) I found previous posts very helpful, thanks for making public to those involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mo1

Just saw your post above Sean and the replies..best of luck!! That's great help!!

This is a very useful forum:)

Thank you,
    Mo

Mo1 wrote: »
    Just saw your post above Sean and the replies..best of luck!! That's great help!!

This is a very useful forum:)

Thank you,
    Mo

no bother good luck to ye all also, how are ye set, i cant wait to have it over with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 robertsulli

I`m the exact same, cannot wait for it to be over! I didnt think that they would be onto the Band B`s so quickly! I thought it would be next March (ish) IF we were being called. Previous posts from the Band A`s are helpful to Sean if you scroll back to the earlier conversations. No fear of us, we`ll be grand lads! Best of luck! People who do the interview early in the week could ye post up tips if ye wouldnt mind and ill do the same after i`m finished Thursday?

• Advertisement

hi robert, yeah i have read through them great help indeed, im gathering for the professional knowlwdge question i think they will ask us a question on an area that we havent worked in previously, so its just going to fall back to assessment. Im up early in the week so ill try my best to pop up what questions i was asked!!

Advertisement