Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ace GT-S5830i

Options
  • 13-04-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

i just got a S5830i samsung . the memory is full already , it's only 190mb , it came with a 2gb sd card . how do i sync both memories so it's not coming up full .:eek:

cheers
    figs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

I'd download an app called app2sd , i could move some apps to the sd but not all . any idea's ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

figs666 wrote: »
    I'd download an app called app2sd , i could move some apps to the sd but not all . any idea's ??

Hi, you should look here, XDA forum dedicated just to your phone!!!

Everything you could ever need to make your phone live again...

You got a reasonable SD card?....

ohh I see 2GB...you should consider a bigger card, maybe 8 or 16!!! and Class 6 or above. [your phone can take up to 32GB SD]

you can use it to replace your internal memory as the place where your Apps live....by using a partition on the SD card, and a script such as DT A2SD....

it can move all your apps to much more space, including your dalvik cache, etc.

There is even a GUI App, which makes it easier, just need to create the partition on SD, have a ROM, or kernel which supports the script, and fire away.

there are other methods, like Link2SD

but all these need a rooted phone, a reasonable fast SD card, like a Class 6 and above, prefer Class 10.

These methods have been around since before Froyo, and still work very well.

App2SD, as mentioned above by figsxxx...[I'm not gonna write that number!!!] is a method built into Android since Froyo, and it can work even without the App, but it doesn't optimise space like the other methods mentioned.

But, you can use it if that's what you want, and it needs no additional partitions, or other stuff....just your normal FAT32 on the SD card.

Get back if you want further info....

willing to help, within reason.

..........by using a partition on the SD card, and a script such as DT A2SD....

Hi Irishpancake

thanks for the advice , how do i set up a partition on the sd card ?

cheeers mate

Hi Irishpancake

thanks for the advice , how do i set up a partition on the sd card ?

cheeers mate

You only got a 2GB SD Card?

If so, first thing is to buy at least an 8GB, preferably 16GB Class 10...important, cos if you are going use a partition on the SD card for Apps and Dalvik cache, it needs to be fast!!! It won't be a big cost, and you can use it again, and again....if you change phone, etc.

If you just want to stay with the 2GB card you have, use the App2SD method, you can use the GUI App you got.....

Do you know what version of Android you got...according to here it shipped with 2.3, which is GingerBread....

so App2SD should work out of the box...
    you can check by going into Settings, then About Phone...

Should like something like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIZmr5ANXSpu7RJ24ST4zbf4vvtP9zwdJurTZpHU5QctqE4nuSJQ
    Firmware Version or Android version should tell you if it's 2.3.x, or whatever.

If this is what you have, and you are going to keep the existing SD card, I recommend using this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.IQBS.android.appInstaller&hl=en

appInstaller should work to say which apps can be moved safely, and will allow you to gain some space internally...

So, if you want to partition a new SD card, say a 8B card, there are a number of ways to set up a partition....

Do you have clocwork recovery? cos if you have there is a quick and easy way in recovery to create a sd-ext partition...

that's what your partition is called, cos it's not normal FAT32.

the downside is this formats, and destroys all data on the card, so you must have a back-up first, on your PC/Laptop, of everything on the Card, including all hidden files and folders.

If you don't have custom recovery like CWM, as above, you will need a Windows program, called MiniTool Partition Manager, from here:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

So, that's the basics, I would need more info from you to know how to proceed further, and there is a learning curve involved, for you, if you do not have experience at this kinda stuff.

If you want more, let me know what android version you have and if you will be using the existing card, or going for a bigger card.

cheers mate

its my girlfriends phone , she is in work now , i'll check it out for you and post

thanks again

figs

• Advertisement

Hi irish pancake

it's android version 2.3.6 and i was going to keep the 2 gb card if i could . well for the time been anyway .

cheers figs

ok bro

i downloaded appinstaller but it still won't allow me to transfer the facebook app to her sd card . the facebook app take up 18mb of the 190mb available .

my girlfriend isn't an app head . facebook and e bay but it would be handy to throw them in the sd card .

cheers for your help irish pancake

figs

Hi irish pancake

it's android version 2.3.6 and i was going to keep the 2 gb card if i could . well for the time been anyway .

cheers figs
    ok bro

i downloaded appinstaller but it still won't allow me to transfer the facebook app to her sd card . the facebook app take up 18mb of the 190mb available .

my girlfriend isn't an app head . facebook and e bay but it would be handy to throw them in the sd card .

cheers for your help irish pancake

figs

OK, so, if you are keeping the 2MB card, you will be restricted as to what you can use or do....without rooting the phone.

Do you know the cost nowadays of buying a 16GB micro HDSD...

it ain't expensive, and it's for yer GF, don't be a meanie!!!!

See this, from eBay, free shipping, won't break the bank...

16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC

If you root, you could, if you wished, make a 500MB partition, which will take quite a lot of Apps, and use Link2SD.....

this is a very user friendly app, operates in the background, and allows you to move Apps in two ways.....

1) the normal Android way, just like the Appinstaller you d/l'd,

2) or move them to the sd-ext Partition you will create.

Facebook will not move because it is written by it's devs to only go to Internal Storage...so most force move apps only work if the dev allows them to be moved

it could be force moved, for example by Titanium Backup, and other Apps, but again you need Root!! forcing apps to move can cause other problems, with updates and synch, and widgets....

Or, need to know a bit about ADB, and Terminal stuff, so if it's not your thing, and you wanna get the most out of the phone, leaving Internal Storage as little used as possible,

I recommend Link2SD, with a 1GB partition, on an 8GB SD micro SDHC....

rooting the phone is also necessary, and there is a guide here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1552792

1st post gives the instructions.....

this young fellah also shows how it's done, using a zip file that is slightly differently named, but the method is the same....

After you root, you will need to partition your SD with the program I mentioned in another post, [a 1GB ext2 partition will be OK]

then install Link2SD from the link above..

follow the instructions from the dev, as shown here, and at this web-site:

http://www.link2sd.info/description
    What you need for linking applications:
    • root permission.
    • a second partition on your SD card. You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.
    • The first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage. The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.
    • ext4 is the latest ext format but several ROMs have issues with it while fewer have issues with ext3 and ext2. FAT works
    on all ROMs.
    • I use free "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" (windows application) for this.
    You can create the second partition without repartitioning, formatting or deleting your existing partition with this tool. Connect your SD card to PC with a card reader or phone itself and make it visible as a drive. Open Minitool select this drive and resize down FAT partition, you will see an unallocated area at the end of the card. Create ext2, ext3 or FAT32 partition in that area (create as primary, not logical), click apply. Unplug from the PC and reboot the phone. (To be on the safe side backup your data before starting)
    • That's all. Just install Link2SD, it will do all necessary. No need to copy files or run scripts.*
    * Some phones lack the ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system support and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones need a matching ext2.ko or ext3.ko modules and even some additional modules to be able to mount.
    Using FAT32 on the second partition will eleminate such problems, because FAT32 is supported on all phones.

Easy peezy

BTW, I would not use the official Facebook App...this one is easier on resources:

FriendCaster

and for FB messaging/chat:

thanks bro . will do

hey bro , tried to root phone using 4shared but i didn't get the same options he got when i went into 'my files'

any idea's?

cheers

figs

• Advertisement

why do you need to root the phone , also the kids directions aren't the same for my phone , and it is a gt-s5830i

cheers

figs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dunno why you need to do all that. On my Ace 2 (2.3.6) you just go into settings/manage applications and all the installed apps are listed. You just click move to SD to move them out of the phone memory. When I stuck a SD card in the phone, it formatted it, itself. I didn't need to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think the OP has a ace not an ace 2, thinking of getting an ace, not so sure now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Should be the same it's the same Android version AFAIK. The Ace 1 is pretty old now. Lots of better choices out there now.

Y300 G510 Nokia 520 etc.

Got the Ace last night, very impressed with it, I had a 8g card so just installed appt2sd and moved everything over. Must faster than my itouch for browsing on wifi.

Hi folks

Easy way to sort your Samsung 5830i . Update your phone to latest version Samsung version and that's it

easy peasy

Will that sort the memory issue and let you get rid of some of the options on the menu? Will it let you store all your apps on the SD card?

Do you have a link to that software, my phone says it is running on the most recent version. But I'm still out of memory.

Advertisement