Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a ferret in my garden?

• 13-04-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if any of you could help me out with a little problem. My mother called me 20 minutes ago to say there was a little albino ferret running around our back garden. She almost didn't see it except for the fact her 4 cats were sitting in a row watching something. I went out to check, and as soon as it saw me it came over and sat on my shoe. So its safe to assume that it could of been someones pet. Problem is, it looks young enough and it doesn't have a bell. (for hunting?)
    I picked it up, placed it in our shed and fed it some raw meat for the moment. I've had a look around and I can't see anybody around who it would belong to. So I guess my question is, does anyone know of any groups in Cork who would be willing to take it and find it a home? Or should I just feed it and release it again hoping its owner will come looking for it again?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If it came over to you and let you pick it up, it's a well handled pet.
    I would make up a notice and put it up somewhere people will see, also try Facebook or ask a local rescue to put it up.
    They love a bit of cat food too, make sure it has water, and something to snuggle up in.
    Sorry, no idea of rescues near you, but hopefully someone else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Poor pet sounds lost. Definitely keep her in - she's a sitting duck outside on her own - much too tame. Maybe keep her short-term in a spare en suite bathroom? Make up a bed with a blanket, give a bowl of food and bowl of water, and provide a litter tray - it's most likely house trained.

There is a good rescue in Cork with experience of ferrets but this ferret is most likely lost and perhaps living only a few doors away from you, OP. I'd start by going door to door. It's most likely someone's indoor pet and not a ferret used for hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

boomerang wrote: »
    . It's most likely someone's indoor pet and not a ferret used for hunting.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Thanks for the help guys! :) Unfortunately due to the current situation at home, I wasn't able to bring it inside the house last night. (we have 3 dogs and a cat who aren't used to the word no) We also have 4 cats that we lock into the garage at night so that was out of the question too. I didn't want to stress it unnecessarily, so i made up a little bed in the shed which is actually insulated and quite warm, put down plenty of food, water and a litter tray, then left it alone for the night. Came out this morning and the little guy was waiting for me on my chair :PIts definitely someones pet as it is much to placid to be used for hunting I reckon, and I'm also getting the impression that its still a juvenile!
    Always wanted one of these when I was younger, but unfortunately my circumstances won't allow me to keep this little dude if I can't find his owners. Would recommend to anyone thinking of getting one though. They do make great pets! :D

I don't think anyone posted so far has had a ferret before
    I have 3 and are all used for hunting
    2 of which are very good for rabbits and one seems to be good on rats
    2 hobs and 1 Jill and each one has their own little sense of humour and are taken into the house regularly
    The Jill seems pregnant now and just wants my warmth
    One hob like to hide things like keys my phone and my daughters toys and other one just likes to play and do like a weasel dance
    But all are hunters and switch on in the field but at home are just as placid and friendly as a house ferret and never bite
    A ferret will be as its raised regardless if it hunts or not its how it's braught up as a kit
    Hope you find little guy a home
    Id take him if you were closer to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 mnstlj

is this cream with beige markings ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cashadaw

Hey my name is Kasia and I owe 2 ferrets they are very light beige almost albino and one of them escaped few days ago in togher/wilton area, he is a boy called Maxi and is wounded on the back between shoulders please let me know if that might be him because he needs his medication my mobile is <snip>. I will be very grateful for a quick reply. Thank you very much.

Mod note: Hi Cashadaw,
    We don't permit users to post personal contact details on the forum: you can, however, contact Dercola via PM to pass on your phone number. I hope you find your ferret soon.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Thanks for all the suggestions/help guys. Just figured I'd give ye the update. Brought her to the vet today to see if she was chipped & to get a checkup, and it turns out she was in heat. So he gave the the Jill Jab to make that pass. Didn't charge me either which was most kind :pac: He took a couple of photos and put them up on the practice's facebook page asking if anyone owned her? Anyway, long story short the original owner saw it and was supposed to collect :)

Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fantastic news! Thanks for keeping her safe, Dercola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

hob, Jill and Kit,..

I never knew those were the names for ferrets. you learn something new every day!:)

• Advertisement

juneg wrote: »
    hob, Jill and Kit,..

I never knew those were the names for ferrets. you learn something new every day!:)

Also some call them this way
    Hob- buck
    Jill - doe
    Kit- bitey little sh1ts :)

Also some call them this way
    Hob- buck
    Jill - doe
    Kit- bitey little sh1ts :)

You can say that again! When she was getting her Jill jab, I didn't hold her properly and she locked onto my finger :eek: Right on the joint too! Kinda feeling it today! But she's found herself a home now, so its all good! :P
    Thanks again for everything guys..

Good the owner came an got her
    To many ferrets on the loose lately
    I've 3 and possibly a couple more on the way. Me Jill looks preggars

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mnstlj

so did it not belong to Casadaw at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cashadaw

Unfortunately not, but this is all about the mating season as i already got about 8 calls with "pet" ferrets found around my area and none of them was mine so i keep looking for Maxi.

Advertisement