Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting door saddles

Options
  • 13-04-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

in a newish house which was never fitted with door saddles so looking to sort that out now. would it be better to do a diy job and cut and fit them myself (saw 1m ones premade in b&q, about €7 for it) or buy them premade from a joinery of some sort?? is it just a case of slotting them in the door frame or do you need to put some sort of glue on the bottom??
    thanks

btw am in the cork area if someone can recommend a place to get them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

bungaro79 wrote: »
    in a newish house which was never fitted with door saddles so looking to sort that out now. would it be better to do a diy job and cut and fit them myself (saw 1m ones premade in b&q, about €7 for it) or buy them premade from a joinery of some sort?? is it just a case of slotting them in the door frame or do you need to put some sort of glue on the bottom??
    thanks

btw am in the cork area if someone can recommend a place to get them

Normally I would fit them before the frame itself because when it shrinks you might see gaps but this isn't an option in your case.

You should be able to get 16ft lengths in a timber yard and get 5 doors out of each length so try and find your local providers and price it up, they are usually much cheaper then the likes of b n q and woodies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

slpower01 wrote: »
    Normally I would fit them before the frame itself because when it shrinks you might see gaps but this isn't an option in your case.

You should be able to get 16ft lengths in a timber yard and get 5 doors out of each length so try and find your local providers and price it up, they are usually much cheaper then the likes of b n q and woodies etc

;) Agree completely. There are real hardware shops and there are the rip- off emporiums. I made my own door saddles to match the doors but you should find commercial lengths in a good builder providers. They used to be mainly Parana pine but I think that's changed. I would screw them down with wood plugs, making sure there is no plumbing under the floor.
    Its a fiddly job - one of those plastic gadgets for copying shapes is a great help and a fine blade in a jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the info lads, will head down to the local timber yard in the next week. recipio do you have any idea what that plastic thing is called, was wondering how i'd get the edges copied alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

bungaro79 wrote: »
    thanks for the info lads, will head down to the local timber yard in the next week. recipio do you have any idea what that plastic thing is called, was wondering how i'd get the edges copied alright!

It is called a profile gauge and is usually a plastic block with either plastic or metal pins that take the shape of whatever it is placed against. If you have an off cut of architrave that will do the job easier.

Advertisement