Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Cork

Options
  • 13-04-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Cork folks,

I'm in the very lucky position of getting two job offers this week :) (after several long months of depressing job-hunting).
    One job is local, relatively speaking, the other is in Cork and is definitely the better job, so I'm giving some serious thought to relocating there.

So I'm just looking for thoughts on the general vibe about the place. Mostly my trips to Cork have been stag weekends....don't recall a whole lot and probably the less said the better. :pac: But from what I've seen I think it's fair to say the social life is pretty good.
    If I decide to move, are there particular areas that are best avoided? Any tips on nice areas to live in the city that are not too expensive?

Also, any good clubs or societies that a newbie could join?
    I'm into sport (a bit); I play 5 a side footie, tennis and do a bit of jogging.
    Also into cinema, reading and live music gigs; just the usual stuff really.

Any tips or info. would be welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Let me guess,you are offered a job by Apple?

There are other people asking the same as yourself lately.See pages 2 + 4 of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Nope. Not Apple.
    But I will check out those pages. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Welcome to cork (if you do end up moving here). I made the move myself about 4 years ago not knowing much about the place and I don't I'll ever leave. As already said you could check out the other posts on advice on where to live but really depends on where you are going to be working?

As for social life, there is lots of it in cork. Plenty of lovely bars, restaurants and places to go at night. There is the odd live gig, but not as frequent as I'd like. There is an event thread that might give you an idea of cinema nights, gigs that might be happening. There is plenty of sports clubs that you can join, depending on your choice of sport.

Generally I love living in Cork, people are very friendly and welcoming. The city has a nice athmosphere about it most of the time. Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

Good to know.
    Thanks a lot for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The number 1 rule for living in cork is Barrys tea bags. Use them and youll fit in fine. Use anything else and youll be shunned by your work mates.

• Advertisement

No worries there!
    Already a Gold Blend man. I accept no other substitutes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can you give a rough area where the job is. Doesn't really matter I guess but people may be able to give you tips about the commute etc.

It's at the Airport Business Park.

I drive so I don't necessarily need somewhere very close by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Frankfield is close to the Airport business park. It's safe and inexpensive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Live in Frankfield/ Grange / Douglas, plenty of houses to rent there.
    Travel via the old Airport road to avoid traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

.red. wrote: »
    The number 1 rule for living in cork is Barrys tea bags. Use them and youll fit in fine. Use anything else and youll be shunned by your work mates.

am from cork and only use lyons where possible... don't get that... has he only got to drink murphys or beamish on nights out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

all_smilz wrote: »
    am from cork and only use lyons where possible... don't get that... has he only got to drink murphys or beamish on nights out?

Whoosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

And listen to 96fm. Integration is important or they will eat you alive.

:P

Unless he drinks shorts, then he could have Cork Dry Gin or Midleton Whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Agreed, and dont listen to the constant self promotion of 96FM
    chosse 103FM or other stations;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Xantia wrote: »
    Agreed, and dont listen to the constant self promotion of 96FM
    chosse 103FM or other stations;)

Oh, controversial!

I've lived in Cork for about 5 years or so and I think it's great. It's not too big and you can head into the countryside fairly easily if you wish, for a walk etc. Many different clubs, sports and otherwise here. People are easy to talk to and friendly here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

cork is a great place to live. good gyms, garryduff sports centre is near by. loads to do. rents about 300 to 350 per month if you are sharing with 2 people or 400 plus if sharing with one person. it is similar to Galway. good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP sounds like you're a pretty young guy. Do you really want to be living in the suburbs, like Douglas or Grange?
    The fact you have a car might make city centre dwelling a bit tricky - not impossible - but areas like Turner's Cross, South Douglas Road, Ballyphehane are on the right side of town for getting to Airport, are pretty settled and easy walking distance from centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Christina_Cork

Hey,
    Love Cork!! Very small city so you will soon know everyone :). Very easy to get around once you know your wits. Douglas, Blackrock, Frankfield would be ideal places to live as you are close to where you work and also close to the city centre.
    Washington street is a great place to head out for a night out and theres plenty of nice bars along oliver plunkett street.
    What kind of sports are you interested in? There is a new fitness class centre after opening up on Washington Street which is city centre and hold a huge variety of classes which are intense I must say :). You have the likes of spinning, trx, kettlebells and vipr.
    Hope this helps :)!

Good to know. Thanks for that and to everyone else for the info. All the feedback I've got on Cork (here & elsewhere) is really good so I'm about 90% decided to make the move!

Ideally I'd like to live somewhere that isn't too far from the city centre so maybe somewhere like South Douglas road, Turner's Cross or Blackrock might suit me best. Would traffic be very heavy in the morning between these places and the Airport? And could anyone give me an idea of the journey time? Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Good to know. Thanks for that and to everyone else for the info. All the feedback I've got on Cork (here & elsewhere) is really good so I'm about 90% decided to make the move!

Ideally I'd like to live somewhere that isn't too far from the city centre so maybe somewhere like South Douglas road, Turner's Cross or Blackrock might suit me best. Would traffic be very heavy in the morning between these places and the Airport? And could anyone give me an idea of the journey time? Thanks again.

Turner's Cross and South Douglas Road are very close to the airport - 10 minutes by car - less if no traffic.

Blackrock is a bit further but depending on traffic 15 or 20 minutes should do you.

Sounds grand. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Zeek12 wrote: »

Blackrock is a very nice area, but is quite a bit from the centre. Just be a little careful (use Google Maps) as a lot of property is advertised as Blackrock when it's actually a good distance away.

As above, the other two locations are fine, if you find a good property. You could well find a nice terrace or semi detached house with a garden in that area, yet you're still not too far out. And it's convenient for the airport; though you'll still need to pass through the Kinsale Road roundabout (should be a lot better now with the new layout).

who_me wrote: »
    Just be a little careful (use Google Maps) as a lot of property is advertised as Blackrock when it's actually a good distance away.

Also lots of people listing properties seem to think that Bishopstown, Ballincolig, Blackrock etc. are in the City Centre so, yes, do check any location given.

one place that hasnt been mentioned but could be worth considering is kinsale. its only 25mins from the airport and you shouldnt really have to worry about traffic.
    it would be a lovely place to live. it doesnt have a cinema but has everything else you wanted. not sure on rental prices tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Togher is another spot close to the airport and close to the city center. I lived there for a year, nice enough spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

OP sounds like you're a pretty young guy. Do you really want to be living in the suburbs, like Douglas or Grange?
    The fact you have a car might make city centre dwelling a bit tricky - not impossible - but areas like Turner's Cross, South Douglas Road, Ballyphehane are on the right side of town for getting to Airport, are pretty settled and easy walking distance from centre.

Second that. I live near Turners Cross (Evergreen Road) and it's a great part of the city. 3 minutes in the car and you're on the link road on your way to work, 10 minute walk and you're in town. The area is safe and I've been parking on the street there for 3 years now without incident.

Traffic on my street is very light from 7:30 to about 7:50 but picks up from there on as people start heading to work/school. Even at it's heaviest though, it'd only take me about 6 minutes to get out to the Kinsale road roundabout. Not sure what traffic is like then out to airport, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Just moved to Cork myself...from Limerick, and its certainly a step up! I got a job in the new roller skating rink in Ballincollig. I recommend roller skating as a great way to meet people! haha.... five a side soccer is really popular, the astro turf pitches at the back of Supernova are booked most nights of the week with lads renting them for a little footie practice. Corks always great for live music, so many venues...I've played a number of them in bands and stuff myself, pavillion, fred zeppelins, crane lane etc... are all really good!

Advertisement