Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Issue

Options
  • 14-04-2013 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am going unregistered on this due to its sensitive nature. I have been working for the past 4 years in a company that was well regarded and for most of the time it has been fine. We were always very busy, the company was growing steadily and although the pay wasn't great and some days could be quite stressful, I never minded going into work.

However, for various reasons the company now looks to be on a downward spiral. The company currently has the contracts to keep it going but it hasn't the staff. A number of staff have been let go or left and not replaced. With a full complement of staff we were all working at full tilt so with a significant reduction in staff / experience it has made things extremely difficult.

Management are working hard to keep things going but the company is really overextended in terms of the volume of work relative to staff ratio.

I am in a dilemma. On the one hand I have been assigned a lot of responsibility within the company which would look good on my CV if I could stick it out for a while but I am completely overworked, under-supported and slightly out of my depth in my role at present and with every passing day the problems seem to be mounting both individually and as a whole. I love being busy but at present I feel completely overwhelmed. I was assured on a number of occasions that I would get the assistance my role requires but everyone is so busy trying to keep the ship afloat that there is limited assistance available which leaves me effectively doing what was intended to be the jobs of three people.

The job is starting to take over all aspects of my life and even when I'm not working I'm worried about it. I try to kepp myself busy when I'm not working to distract myself from it but its always nagging away at me. This worry is all without anywhere near the corresponding salary for the work I have been putting in and the levels of stress encountered.

Everyone in the company is working at very close to breaking point at present and I fear that if another 1 or 2 people leave the company will fold and I don't want to leave at such a point that it'd be the straw that broke the camel's back. More selfishly I have a long working life ahead of me yet and I don't want to be associated with the company if things finish badly.

I would like to move on but a mixture of fear of being left unemployed for a long period and a loyalty to the company is keeping me there.

Everyone says don't leave a job as there's nothing else going which looks to be true from the job-hunting I have done but the idea of waiting around for what looks like the inevitable collapse of the business could be even more detrimental in the medium/long term.

All thoughts on this welcome because at the moment I don't know what direction to turn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

More appropriate here OP.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I would like to move on but a mixture of fear of being left unemployed for a long period and a loyalty to the company is keeping me there.
    You need to have loyalty to yourself first. There is no harm in looking around and seeing what is out there. You do not need to leave your current job to apply for other jobs. If things are so bad you can be sure other staff are looking around and will be gone if they get something else.

No job is worth it if it is taking over your life. The most important thing you can have is your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'd advise that you just start applying for jobs. By the sounds of it the company's fortunes aren't going to improve massively anytime soon.

There's no harm in putting yourself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The job is starting to take over all aspects of my life and even when I'm not working I'm worried about it.
    When this happens, it's time to start sending off those CV's.
    a loyalty to the company is keeping me there.
    Once you realise that they'll drop you like a hot potatoe, you'll find that your "loyalty" is not worth a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

At this stage you need to ask yourself which is more important your health or your job?
    Also how much loyalty would your company have to you if they lost some business?
    They have made staff redundant and are not replacing people who have left meanwhile every day is getting harder than the day before due to this.

You need to take a days holidays and make appointments to see a few recruitment agencies. Send out cv on spec to other companies and keep looking and applying to jobs on the net. Ring companies to confirm they have you cv if sending them via the net and find out when will they be interviewing and when will the job start.
    When you find this out it puts you in a better position - ie gives you time to find out info on the company or it they are not taking some one on for a while your not waiting for them to call when you could miss out on another job.
    With the way the jobs market is at the moment you need to keep your options opened.
    I would not leave your job until you have another job to go to.
    Good luck with your new job hunt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement