Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals and emotions

• 14-04-2013 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been having a horrific weekend- my best friends 6 year old son (andons of my favourite people ever) has been in a coma since yesterday and will be taken off his ventilator tomorrow. I have been so upset, and the usual you would imagine.

Now, Isabella (my hamster, whose name was chosen by this little guy a year ago) woke up this morning with me at 8am, and was sitting staring at me when I was crying. So I picked her up and sat her on my chest. Usually she'll run off along the couch fairly fast but today she stayed perfectly still on my chest, and then moved her nose up to my face and started licking my tears. It was one of the sweetest things ever. She doesn't stay very still ever, she knew I was upset and wanted to give me comfort, does that sound mad?

I mean I've experienced that with dogs before, but so many people see small flurries as 'disposable' or 'starter' pets. Does anyone else have similar, maybe unexpected stories like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Hi. I don't have a story like that, but I think it's great that Isabella is helping you out. I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles, it sounds like tomorrow will be very difficult. My thoughts are with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I originally had a pair of guinea pigs: Xander, a neutered boar, and Hilda, a gorgeous, bossy sow. I ended up vastly expanding my numbers and moved four more girls in with them, but Xan and Hildie were the classic romance, always together, always snuggling each other.

Last year Hilda got sick really suddenly and it was only through six hard weeks of syringe feeding and vet visits that she survived. She perked up again, went back to being the boss of the herd, and all was good until one day a few months later she was back just as bad and even worse than she was before. I took her to the vet and before we could even discuss our options she lay herself down on the table and made our decision for us.

I was devastated. I had worked so hard to save her. I had fed her every three hours at her worst, taken time off work, missed out on sleep, and, strangely, formed a really special bond with my little lady. She was the first piggy I had that died and I was inconsolable.

I brought her home to bury her, and before doing so I placed her body in her cage so her friends could have a sniff and understand she was gone. The girls had their little sniff and started grooming her face, but Xander, her little husband, had one little nuzzle and ran straight into my arms. He never did that before and he has never done it since. I gave him lots of hugs and cried into his fur and he just let me, where normally he wants to roam and explore.

It was really sad, but it's a moment I'll always remember. I'm glad we were there for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Im so sorry to hear about the little lad and all of you who are so upset at this time baby and crumble.
    Animals are amazing arent they. They provide company and I guess we sometimes take that for granted, I mean what else are they to do.
    Some people deny animals have emotions but many of us who live with them know something different. I think its a wondrous amazing little gift you have been given there baby and crumble. None of us are really alone in our joy or in our grief, we are all connected and the animals know it. Your little pet was just reminding you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I do believe that our pets pick up on our emotions - in some ways how could they not when we are handling them - we probably emit small signals that we dont even know about.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's child and its nice to know that your animals are giving you some comfort at a difficult time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's a reasonable amount of evidence now to suggest that dogs at least experience similar emotions to us: perhaps not as broad a range, but the ones we share are very similar. I can't see why other species wouldn't share similar emotions: it's nice for science to confirm what we pet owners already know! Sorry, that's my nerdy bit of this post over.
    Baby and Crumble, I can't even begin to tell you how sad your news is, it's just so unfair when a youngster leaves us so early. Devastating. I hope you and your poor friend will be okay.:( I always love to see the pics you post of Isabella, and glad that she is helping to comfort you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Last week I was out with Finn, my German Shepherd and her little pal Michael (who is five) came out to play with her. Anyway, after a while his Dad came out to say it was time for him to go to bed. The poor little guy started to cry and my big scary Shep licked the tears off his face :)

Sorry about your friend Baby and Crumble. My Dad is only just off a ventilator after a long time in intensive care and its touch and go. Fingers crossed and to answer your question.. no type of pet is more significant than another. They are all our furry friends and a lot more intelligent and perceptive than they get credit for.

P.S I dont post here a lot but always enjoy your photos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks you guys. It's cool to read other stories, I think sometimes non pet people don't understand how part of the family they can become, whether that's a dog, a hamster, a cockateil or a fish.

And thanks for your kind wishes. :)

Advertisement