Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HCl Technologies

• 14-04-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all Just wanted to ask people here does anyone know much about the HCL technologies company that have been recruiting in Kilkenny I meant to be all outsourced work from banking 365 up in loughboy....I have heard a few stories but there only second hand ..so im wondering does anyone have first hand info on them....im only asking asi have a interview next week...I know pay is minimum wage....and this is one of the things I have been told that there is a split in banking 365 as the bank staff are not to happy with others coming in getting there jobs and that bank staff are on up to 40 euro an hour at the weekend while the hcl staff sitting beside the person doing the same work is only getting 8.65 less breaks ect.....Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

I had an interview last week. I was offered a job, initially for 2 months at 8.65 per hour. I would not have thought that existing BOI staff would have an issue as a lot of them are permanent members of staff, so new HCL employees are not necessarily taking their jobs. I think they have quite a high turnover of staff at HCL, as the wages are poor, and many people will use it as a stop gap, or to have gained some work experience.

I am going to accept the role because I have looked online and I know that Bank of Ireland (who also deal with UK Post Office products, like credit cards, loans and investments) are launching a current account in the UK under the 'UK Post Office' brand. This current account is set to rival the existing 'big 5' in the UK - Lloyds TSB, RBS, HSBC, Santander and Barclays. Therefore I think there will be plenty of opportunities in the future as the UK Post Office has 11,500 branches, and I think that Banking 365 in Kilkenny will be dealing with the customer service side. Also, from time to time, Bank of Ireland in Kilkenny send out an email to all staff advising them of vacancies, so if you are employed by HCL there would be nothing stopping you from applying through BOI as and when vacancies happen, and then you would be on the higher wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So they announced over "200 jobs" a while back but really these are just outsourcing of existing jobs... For far less money and conditions. Does not sound good to me.

HCL have a presence in Kilkenny at 2 sites - one is at the HCL Building on the Danville Business Park and they also employ staff at Banking 365. They have staff that deal with collections and customer service other than Bank of Ireland, and these staff are based in the Danville building. To my knowledge, no BOI staff were let go to make way for HCL.

I know the money is not great but I do think there are opportunities for the right people if you stick it out! (Maybe)!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

I was also told to apply for a bank of Ireland job you have to be left hcl 6 months before you can apply ....I heard bank of Ireland weekend staff were let go and more had hours cut.....the bank staffs problem is most of them are on fixed term contracts so are worries they wont be renewed to be replaced by hcl staff....I am only going on heresay though.

ps Best of look jester when do you start

• Advertisement

I havent got a start date yet, but it should be within the next 6 weeks I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Best of luck with that Jester, in the current climate a job with opportunities makes up for low the initial starting wage.

chg1980 wrote: »
    Hi all Just wanted to ask people here does anyone know much about the HCL technologies company that have been recruiting in Kilkenny I meant to be all outsourced work from banking 365 up in loughboy....I have heard a few stories but there only second hand ..so im wondering does anyone have first hand info on them....im only asking asi have a interview next week...I know pay is minimum wage....and this is one of the things I have been told that there is a split in banking 365 as the bank staff are not to happy with others coming in getting there jobs and that bank staff are on up to 40 euro an hour at the weekend while the hcl staff sitting beside the person doing the same work is only getting 8.65 less breaks ect.....Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this...

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 co_coco

Hi guys, I had an interview with HCL last week and would really like the job. Jester how long was it after your interview that you got word back?

I think I did ok in the interview but the Excel test was a disaster :D

co_coco wrote: »
    Hi guys, I had an interview with HCL last week and would really like the job. Jester how long was it after your interview that you got word back?

I think I did ok in the interview but the Excel test was a disaster :D

They let me know the next day, but I still do not have a start date. They said it would be within 6 weeks. Sometimes they are really busy interviewing so it might still be OK! I know what you mean about the excel test - its hard to do without actually being able to look at excel itself!

Did they say when the next training course starts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 co_coco

I must not of got the job so! Oh well! May keep trying.

No they did not say anything about it, just asked had I holidays booked in the next 8 weeks!

Best of luck with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 ronan24

Hi

I worked for this company for 7 months and they treat the staff like S**T. You only get paid for hours worked and if you are sick with doctors cert you are pulled up to HR in dublin as they are an indian company they bleed you for everything they can they even dont give you time and a half for sunday work. The reason for high turn around for staff is simply they dont care about you. They aint in dublin call centre as the staff up there wouldnt accept the terms of work conditions or pay. You will be doing up to three different departments of bank of ireland at once for 8.65 while BOI staff get 11.56 per hour for doing one department. Also you only get 1 hour break unpaid while BOI staff get 75 mins paid. And in relation to getting interviews for BOI HCL make it as hard as possible to take the interview you have to take the day off as annual leave.

I left to work for another bank and i wish i had heard what they were like before hand as it was soul destroying you would be better off working in supermacs or dunnes you be treated better with better pay

Min wage call-centre stuff appears to be the sweat shops of the 21st century.
    Are they're many decent level jobs here or are they all bottom of the scale stuff? Just use the experience to your advantage and the CV and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

only go there if you are really stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Had an interview there a few months ago, got offered the job but turned it down for personal reasons and stayed where I was, found out later on from a source that if its quiet up there they apparently send staff out to the car park to wash cars. Have no idea if its true!

Reading the thread makes me glad I didn't take the job, wages look like they suck plus I heard they give one in every nine weekends off which is bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vicku

Hi everyone,

I am sick and tired to search and get only "we'll call you back" answer. Does anyone has a contact number for this company? In the last 3 weeks I'm trying to get in touch with a lad from HCL and it looks like this company is hidden to public contact.
    Thank you very much in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Vicku wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am sick and tired to search and get only "we'll call you back" answer. Does anyone has a contact number for this company? In the last 3 weeks I'm trying to get in touch with a lad from HCL and it looks like this company is hidden to public contact.
    Thank you very much in advance

Are you in Kilkenny ? If so call up to the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vicku

Are you in Kilkenny ? If so call up to the place..

@Silverscott : No, I'm not from anywhere close to Kilkenny. When I did the application with them it was for a Dublin based role with Eircom. Still after 5 weeks of trying to get in touch no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You could contact your local TD about this. Bank of Ireland is still part owned by the state and treatment of this kind is abuse of public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I worked for hcl doing outbound sales for their client eircom, I was based in east point business park in dublin. I thought they were great to work for, they would bring us out on Fridays and get us drinks and food and often they would buy us our lunch... The management were all sound aswell. I work in another call centre now for the last year and I really do miss what hcl was like compared to what I have now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Well SeanO as somebody who worked for HCL in Kilkenny I can tell you they certainly do not bring you our for lunch, food, drinks or anything of the sort.

kkapp wrote: »
    Well SeanO as somebody who worked for HCL in Kilkenny I can tell you they certainly do not bring you our for lunch, food, drinks or anything of the sort.

Are they bad to work for? I take it you have left already? They're not open very long, a few years if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johno34

Have a daughter working for them and they wouldent pay her bonus because she loged on early a few times? Be very carefull acording to employment law you should be paid o/t for extra hours and the contracts the get u to sign are probably not worth the paper their written on so check it out before u sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

johno34 wrote: »
    Have a daughter working for them and they wouldent pay her bonus because she loged on early a few times? Be very carefull acording to employment law you should be paid o/t for extra hours and the contracts the get u to sign are probably not worth the paper their written on so check it out before u sign

Does it???
    Overtime
    Overtime is work done outside normal working hours.There is no statutory obligation on employers to pay employees for work completed in overtime. Many employers pay employees higher rates of pay for overtime. Your contract of employment should state if you are required to work overtime and the rates of pay if you are to be paid for it. Certain sectors of employment were covered by Employment Regulation Orders and Registered Employment Agreements and may have higher rates of pay for overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 torro

I have an interview tomorrow, does anyone have any tips/advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

torro wrote: »
    I have an interview tomorrow, does anyone have any tips/advice?

Stay well clear of the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Is there a lot of work available with these lads? easy to get through the interview?
    How many days a week and hours do they want you to work?

Is it stressful? I'd rather just keep my head down and work to my best ability, dont really care what days as long as its your typical 5 day a week normal hours.

I'm not the best with handling numbers, and being put under pressure.

I've heard absolutely nothing good about this lot but to be honest I want a job so badly that this seems like an opportunity to get some nice cash aside from the dole which Ive been living off for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stephxox

Hcl is an absolute joke of a company!and so are bank of Ireland worked in the bank for 6months through hcl then hcl for a month!believe me you do not want to work there they treat there staff terribly,30 of us started and there's about 5 left now because they just get rid of who they like!it's a joke do not go for a job there!you will be working from 3-11 most nights even if they told you it's during the day!the money is also crap I would advise you to stay away!

stephxox wrote: »
    Hcl is an absolute joke of a company!and so are bank of Ireland worked in the bank for 6months through hcl then hcl for a month!believe me you do not want to work there they treat there staff terribly,30 of us started and there's about 5 left now because they just get rid of who they like!it's a joke do not go for a job there!you will be working from 3-11 most nights even if they told you it's during the day!the money is also crap I would advise you to stay away!

Did they gain any useful experience and move into better things? Sometimes in work you've got to take the positives from negative (at the time) experiences. They can usually stand to you going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

stephxox wrote: »

If you have a different job that pays more money and has better hours then fair play to you. Some people don't have that luxury and the chance to get any job and gain experience to move on (like you seem to have done) can be a big motivating factor.

A job is what you want it to be - something to pay the bills, a career, a stepping stone to something else etc. The sense of entitlement of people that they are better than certain jobs because of pay, conditions, title of job is something that always amazes me.

Note - I have no connection to HCL or BOI and have never worked for either company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Spoke to some friends who worked for them.
    I was actually considering going for the job, but no way after what I've heard from people.

They sound like a horrible bunch to work for. So much stress and confrontation. Their staff turnover is massive apparently.
    No thanks from me.

If you have a different job that pays more money and has better hours then fair play to you. Some people don't have that luxury and the chance to get any job and gain experience to move on (like you seem to have done) can be a big motivating factor.

A job is what you want it to be - something to pay the bills, a career, a stepping stone to something else etc. The sense of entitlement of people that they are better than certain jobs because of pay, conditions, title of job is something that always amazes me.

Note - I have no connection to HCL or BOI and have never worked for either company.

I agree. Even if you can stick it out for 6 months/ year and have something to put on the CV and then move onto something more suitable.

oak5548 wrote: »
    Spoke to some friends who worked for them.
    I was actually considering going for the job, but no way after what I've heard from people.

They sound like a horrible bunch to work for. So much stress and confrontation. Their staff turnover is massive apparently.
    No thanks from me.

What happens out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Brother in law worked there for a while, kept his head down and got on ok, didn't have any run ins with management and would have stuck it out had nothing else came along. Saying that, he couldn't wait to leave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cristina dracea

hi, does anyone know how much are they paying/hour for a customer care role? thanks. i already have a job, so i dont know if will be worth attending the interview as i have to request a day off. thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Not sure but a quick google threw up this advert for the customer care role.

http://www.bestjobs.ie/bt-jobd-edelcawley-0.htm
    Wage/Salary: €8.65/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Have a interview here this week for the meteor customer care position. I'm currently doing a internship doing what I love but with Christmas coming up its a bit hard to get by on that money. 2 of my mates work there and they enjoy it but they said it's not for everyone. 3 people joined the other day and all walked out but it's close to me so could walk to work and bring my own lunches something I couldn't do with my internship. Anyone work with them or have experience in a call centre give me some advice is it really that bad? Thanks.

I worked here for 18 months after i staring the thread. while delighted to get the job .. its a place that just pulls you down and get stuck in a rut. for people applying its probably ok to gain expierance. it is out sourced work for bank of ireland . they do banking 365 customer service fraud departments and the british bank of ireland post office accounts. if your looking for a job there the fraud section is said to be the best to be in. the people there are great i made many friends , but the managment and how things are run is where people have problems with.

to start with all promotions are to be done internal ( which is great) not so great when the good friend of the unit manager gets the promotion they actaully changed the expierance required on the application after it was advertised when he was going to apply to suit his. ( not half obvious who was going to get that ) people getting promotions which include pay rises without job ever been advertised. the list goes on. I know a few people who went to dublin for a week to train in new bank of ireland work and at the time i left were waiting six months you get there expenses for the accomadation.

There all about security which given the nature of the job is a must. but here again I know a few people who were given written warnings for photos been taking on the call floor ( cameras moblie phones ect banned ) at the same time there was a photo going round of all the manegment and team leaders posing in a picture on the call floor. all log in details for systems are never to be shared and if the are its a sacking offence yet i know of someone who after going home sick got a txt msg from a team leader looking for all there log in details to give to someone who was training.
    I have seen people been told in front of everyone they were been called for a hr meeting and the same when given letter of warning no tact in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BarcoeM

Hi there... I have seen via Facebook that HCL are recruiting in Kilkenny at the momemt... Can anyone give me some general information about this company and the job opportunities?? As what is up here at present is going back a while...

I am hoping that things have possibly changed??

Any information would be gladly appreciated..

Thank you

BarcoeM wrote: »
    Hi there... I have seen via Facebook that HCL are recruiting in Kilkenny at the momemt... Can anyone give me some general information about this company and the job opportunities?? As what is up here at present is going back a while...

I am hoping that things have possibly changed??

Any information would be gladly appreciated..

Thank you

dont go near the place is my advice from what i hear it hag worse now a 24 hour centre wirking nights and weekends for minimium wage

• Registered Users Posts: 12 amykelly1121

Is anyone starting next week ? In Dublin

Advertisement