Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muddy paws - what do you do?

• 14-04-2013 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Our garden has turned into a bit of a mud pit due to building works nearby and so now the dog gets seriously muddy paws on even the quickest trip out to pee. I have a large mat that was marketed as especially good for animal tracks and try to hold her on it for a few minutes each time she comes in. I also gently rub each paw on the mat but the dog really doesn't like this. Even so, I still need to let her do a few laps of the kitchen and then wipe with a damp mop afterwards. And I need to do a proper mopping much more frequently than before.

I'm not a cleanfreak and have fully accepted for years that having a house pet means less than pristine floors but this excessive amount of mud is creating a lot of work! It will be quite some timd before garden is back to normal so grateful for any advice in the meantime! What do you do with your muddy dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

If there's a lot of wet mud on her, and you rub it, it will just spread.
    Would it be possible for you to dry the mud as-is with a hairdryer and then just brush it off? If it's dry it will just crumb and come off easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When I come back from really mucky walks I dip the dogs paws in a basin of water and rub dry with a towel, but mine are both very hairy so it's a lot of mud, and if you're just talking about the garden it's a lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Is it just the paws that are mucky or the undercarriage bit as well? One of mine is a muck magnet, even if she goes out for a wee and it's wet and mucky like it is now her paws are all muck, I have a packet of baby wipes (Aldi 99c) by the back door, quick wipe then quick wipe with a towel and done. She's pretty good she sits there and gives the paw and doesn't mind at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks for the replies, she's shorthaired and quite tall so it is only the base of her paws - like the sole of your shoe. But it's amazing how much mud that can leave. I hadnt thought of dipping in water; I will give that a try! She is terrified of the hairdryer so not an option unfortunately.

Damn mud, it really creates such a mess that you can't possibly consider not cleaning it right away, a real nuisance. Thanks again.

Edit , just saw the baby wipe reply, sounds like a good idea, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I keep an old towel at our patio and back doors. There is a rubber backed mat at each door too.
    When the dogs come in, they stand on the mat (I hold them there after opening the door!), and I give each paw a quick wipe. They are used to it now and my floors are clean. Just have to wash the towels every few days, but thats ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I use something called 'paw plunger' then towel dry each paw. This thing is brilliant.

falabo wrote: »
    I use something called 'paw plunger' then towel dry each paw. This thing is brilliant.

Intriguing. Can you get them in irish shops or will I have to order online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

fiona-f wrote: »
    Intriguing. Can you get them in irish shops or will I have to order online?

Ebay. Co.UK is where I got mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Plastic jug from Tesco with soapy water - 70c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Just wondering OP, how did nearby building works end up with you having a muddy garden???

• Advertisement

Philip82 wrote: »
    Just wondering OP, how did nearby building works end up with you having a muddy garden???

Massive work going on right nearby which is messing up the drainage there, old drainage ditches filled in and new ones not dug yet so lots of extra water flowing downhill to my garden, on top of the general waterlog from v wet winter/spring. It's quite the sore point between us and the neighbouring land owner, not quite at the stage of solicitors being involved yet but not far. Trying to remain zen and just keep on mopping in the hope theyll sort out their part of it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

fiona-f wrote: »
    Massive work going on right nearby which is messing up the drainage there, old drainage ditches filled in and new ones not dug yet so lots of extra water flowing downhill to my garden, on top of the general waterlog from v wet winter/spring. It's quite the sore point between us and the neighbouring land owner, not quite at the stage of solicitors being involved yet but not far. Trying to remain zen and just keep on mopping in the hope theyll sort out their part of it soon.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon, it does sound though that you are well within your rights to get that sorted out as quickly as possible. I would put all my my energy into that before I start worrying about my floor!!!!!!
    In the mean time it just looks like walking the dog down the road with your dog on the lead and keep him clean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wipes were in aldi on march 28th. Could be still in some shops. Not sure how they differ to other wipes: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_26413.htm

Product_detail_Wk13T_35.jpg
    100 pack €3.49
    Gentle cleansing formula to wipe away daily dirt and smells.

Advertisement