Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this phone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

All of those dual sim phones seem to be a bit of a compromise because they're aimed at people who are budget-conscious and not being network-subsidised.

The Samsung's basically a modified version of a Galaxy Ace which is probably a step down from the iPhone 4 alright. The iPhone 4 is a bit old, but it's probably a better quality handset by a long shot.

If dual-SIM is essential though, it's a decent handset as dual-SIMs go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I like the screen on the iPhone in terms of display. Find images clear and easy to read. Would be worried that the Samsung would not be as sharp or clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Have you considered the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos? The phone is powered by Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system and runs on a 1.2 GHz dual core processor. It has a healthy 1 GB RAM as well, and comes with a 5-inch TFT screen with WVGA resolution (It has a rather low pixel density of 187ppi) The phone has an 8 megapixel rear camera with flash and a 2 megapixel front camera, which supports zero shutter-lag and ultra-quick camera start-up. It includes a backside illumination sensor to ensure clear shots, as well as full HD video recording. It's both faster and better than the other Samsung phone you were considering. It's £277.01 on amazon.co.uk sim free (see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I9082-GALAXY-GRAND-DUOS/dp/B00BBFWNJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365935010&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+grand+duos )

You could also go with a phone that isn't really a recognized manufacturer. The best I have found is the Salora POWERMaxx Z1. It's price is Rs. 9,999 which is €140. From what I've seen in videos it is actually quite impressive. It's powered by Android 4.0.4 and runs on a Cortex-A9 1 GHz dual core processor. It has a 4.5-inch qHD IPS display. It has 4 GB of internal memory and 512 MB RAM (1 GB would have made the phone all the more desirable) and external memory is expandable up to 32 GB. The smartphone gets a 1.3 megapixel front facing camera and 8.0 megapixel auto focus rear facing camera. But, the real feature is the massive 3200mAh battery which should only need charging every two or three days on moderate usage. It has dual sim capabilities too. I found a site that sells it but I don't think they ship to Ireland (see here http://www.flipkart.com/salora-powermaxx-z1/p/itmdggg6gghb99fc )

Obviously, with the Samsung you'll get a warranty and proper customer care. However, if the Solora POWERMaxx Z1 breaks I'm assuming you'll be on your own, but for €140 you can't go too far wrong!

Good luck with finding a phone anyway. Hope I helped a bit!

Can I just ask what pixel density 187 ppi means? Is that the quality of display?

PPI is Pixels Per Inch. The higher the number of pixels per inch the sharper the display will be. The iPhone 4, which you have, has a PPI density of 326. The iPhone 3GS has a PPI of 165. So the screen quality on the Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos is slightly better than an iPhone 3GS screen. That should have helped put it in context a little bit. Some of the newer phones such as the HTC One have a PPI of 460. But just because the PPI is low doesn't mean the phone will be unreadable. Text just won't be as crystal clear, but it will still be perfectly legible.

• Advertisement

Thanks that makes it easier understand. All the dual sim phones so seem to be a big drop from the iPhone I'm used to at present. But I guess that I can't have it every way if I want the convience of dual sim

Yeah, if you want a dual sim phone you'll have to sacrifice some quality and user experience. Why exactly do you need two sims anyway?

Basically most of my calls are O2 as most family & friends are on O2. So for €20 a month on prepay I get free calls & texts to 02 numbers. Any calls outside O2 are covered by the €20 credit.
    The problems is using Internet on my phone. With O2 I get 700mb add on for €9.99
    But I can use 5 of these add ons most months which is €50
    So a lot of months I could be using up to €70 credit which is killing me

So I was thinking ideal situation would be 2 sims.
    One on 02 prepay (calls and texts for €20 a month)
    One on three (free data for €20 a month)
    That is €40 a month and I have this €40 to use on calls outside of 02

The other option is a cheap phone to use with the 02 sim and put a 3 sim in the iPhone. The hassle then would be carrying around 2 phones

You can get a dual sim adaptor case for the iPhone 4. It's a bit of a hack but it does work if you don't fancy carrying two phones.

Other option is to get a cheap, light, dumb phone with long battery life on the SIM you want to mostly use for calls and keep the iPhone on the one you want to mostly use for data

Solair wrote: »
    You can get a dual sim adaptor case for the iPhone 4. It's a bit of a hack but it does work if you don't fancy carrying two phones.

Other option is to get a cheap, light, dumb phone with long battery life on the SIM you want to mostly use for calls and keep the iPhone on the one you want to mostly use for data

The sim adaptor case is an interesting suggestion, must read up about them.
    Ya was thinking cheapest basic phone for using O2 sim for calls and texts. Still don't like idea of carrying around 2 phones. But for a saving of about €30 every month I might put up with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

big_drive wrote: »
    The sim adaptor case is an interesting suggestion, must read up about them.
    Ya was thinking cheapest basic phone for using O2 sim for calls and texts. Still don't like idea of carrying around 2 phones. But for a saving of about €30 every month I might put up with it!

My advice would be to steer well clear of those sim adapters I've tried quite a few of them, and, while it could be me, I did not consider them suitable at all. The phone did not recognise the 2nd sim at all.

Basically most of my calls are O2 as most family & friends are on O2. So for €20 a month on prepay I get free calls & texts to 02 numbers. Any calls outside O2 are covered by the €20 credit.
    The problems is using Internet on my phone. With O2 I get 700mb add on for €9.99
    But I can use 5 of these add ons most months which is €50
    So a lot of months I could be using up to €70 credit which is killing me

So I was thinking ideal situation would be 2 sims.
    One on 02 prepay (calls and texts for €20 a month)
    One on three (free data for €20 a month)
    That is €40 a month and I have this €40 to use on calls outside of 02

The other option is a cheap phone to use with the 02 sim and put a 3 sim in the iPhone. The hassle then would be carrying around 2 phones

The other option would be to move to a month-to-month billpay on a network with a really good offer.

I'm on Tesco at the moment and get:
    15GB of data
    10,000 mins
    10,000 texts
    Unlimited tesco to tesco calls (not that it makes any difference considering the above allowances)
    1cent per min calls to most international destinations

Cost : 35 quid a month with no contract.

Three and EMobile have similarly competitive sim only plans.

Ya I was about the sim only option on bill pay. Only thing is I'd like to stick with O2 for calls and texts, main reason being as most family/friends are on O2 they also have free calls to me. If I change to another network all of a sudden they'll be charged to ring me.

Ya I was about the sim only option on bill pay. Only thing is I'd like to stick with O2 for calls and texts, main reason being as most family/friends are on O2 they also have free calls to me. If I change to another network all of a sudden they'll be charged to ring me.

If you all switched to other networks, you'd all save a fortune :)

In terms of the ppi mentioned in earlier post the iPhone is 330 ppi and the Samsung is 233 ppi. Is that a significant difference? Is it something which would be very noticeable?

Solair wrote: »
    If you all switched to other networks, you'd all save a fortune :)

I was thinking that actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Change network to 48 and you get unlimited everything for 20 a month.

Advertisement