Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample paper d edco maths

• 14-04-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi, am going through the sample papers for leaving cert. Most people seem to be posting bout paper 2 but I have a problem with the paper 1 sample paper d. Q.2 part (ii) the alpha and beta identity won't work out for me no matter how many different ways I've tried it. I have asked my teacher and she says she thinks there's a mistake in the question. Has anyone got a solution for this please?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

yea i showed the question to my teacher he said it was no longer in the maths course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

ahmdoda wrote: »
    yea i showed the question to my teacher he said it was no longer in the maths course

Which begs the question as to why people continue to use these papers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ahmdoda wrote: »

It's an algebra question and it can be solved without using the maths that was on the old course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cammie

Cookiemonster, can you explain the solution so - just for curiosity; wud luv to show my teacher!

Cammie wrote: »
    Cookiemonster, can you explain the solution so - just for curiosity; wud luv to show my teacher!

Yep I intended on posting it but it will probably be later today or tomorrow when I post it.

• Advertisement

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. I didn't realise it was sample D you wanted, I've only done the question which is very similar for sample C. I don't think I have time to do the question out at the moment but if you want I can outline the steps for sample C anyway? I presume they use the same method. Sorry for the late reply again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

for that question i got the answer to be c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

I got the answer to be c also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Yeah it is unsolvable, they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

I haven't done any alpha and beta questions at all as I just assumed none of them were on the course anymore. How would I go about doing a question like this?

edit: never mind, think I have it now

• Advertisement

Dude they are just the same as regular letters

Jesus has anyone done question 1 part b from Sample E paper? its fookin unpossible. Literally spent 45 minutes trying to get the answer out with pages of algebra and equations

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Jesus has anyone done question 1 part b from Sample E paper? its fookin unpossible. Literally spent 45 minutes trying to get the answer out with pages of algebra and equations

Ya I got it. You have to get the two roots and multiply one by k. I multiplied the wrong one by k initially but it worked the second time then on the other root, can't remember which one though so you'll have to try both!

Ya I got it. You have to get the two roots and multiply one by k. I multiplied the wrong one by k initially but it worked the second time then on the other root, can't remember which one though so you'll have to try both!

Yeah its actually grand, fairly easy actually. Before I was using the (sum)x + (product) method incorrectly and so just got pages upon pages of huge long -b formula eqns trying to get the answer out. Once i was told the right way to do it it worked out in a flash

Yeah its actually grand, fairly easy actually. Before I was using the (sum)x + (product) method incorrectly and so just got pages upon pages of huge long -b formula eqns trying to get the answer out. Once i was told the right way to do it it worked out in a flash

The other way should work too.. note it is -(sum)x

yeah i was doing (root + root = sum) rather than -sum
    I was also doing (product = c) rather than (product = ac)

yeah i was doing (root + root = sum) rather than -sum
    I was also doing (product = c) rather than (product = ac)

Why?

Why?

vaguely knew the method so tried to figure it out messing around with roots and factors of normal quadratics. Needless to say i didn't deduce the right methed

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aq11

Does anyone know how to do Q3 (b) on that sample D? I'm not sure how to do it, also is that α β thing on our course?

Advertisement