Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granola recipie

Options
  • 14-04-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I have granola for breakfast every day and have tried most of the ones from supermarkets which are fine but was thinking i could make my own. anyone have any good recipies or suggestions for ingredients?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I make my own granola.

There are two tricks: the first is that the oats/fruit/nuts must be tossed in a warm 'syrup' of ingredients to get the texture you want, and it must be baked in shallow layers on several baking trays.

I have never followed a recipe. For my most recent batch, in a pan I melted 150g of butter with half a cup of brown sugar and a pinch of salt til syrupy, and I tossed it with 500g of oats, 100g of dried cranberries and lots of sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. Then I baked it at (I think) 200 Celsius for about 25 mins until kinda crunchy. When cooled, I portioned it up (20 portions) for taking to work to eat with yogurt.

In the past I have melted peanut butter with maple syrup and used that. The options are pretty much endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

This is the one I use but I make a few adjustments depending on whats in the cupboard at the time. Last time I used half sesame, half sunflower seeds and I also added some broken up brazil nuts a I didn't have enough almonds. I've also made the recipe as is and its very nice.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1590/goodforyou-granola

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I make my own too and use jumbo oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, linseed, seasame seeds- anything works really and depends on what I have left!

I try and make it as healthy as possible so I use coconut oil and honey for the syrup to coat it and then spread it out on baking trays and into the oven it goes.

I shake/turn the mix after 15 mins so it's evenly cooked and once again after half an hour for a further 10 mins.

Once its done I add in sultanas - store it in a big jar and every morning I take a scoop along with a couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt and frozen summer berries and take to work with me. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm going to get some nice nuts and seeds and give it a go :)

Advertisement