Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half price osram halogen bulbs

• 14-04-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Bought 2 of these this morning in woodies Seatown, swords. Cashier said I'd get 3 for 2 if I bought another but ended up getting all three half price from what I can make out. Didn't see any signs up. Definitely don't last for 2years but do the job nicely.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bought 2 of these this morning in woodies Seatown, swords. Cashier said I'd get 3 for 2 if I bought another but ended up getting all three half price from what I can make out. Didn't see any signs up. Definitely don't last for 2years but do the job nicely.

what specificly are you using them for........ceiling light,floor or table lamp,outdoor wall light???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Bathroom ceiling light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If I was giving one for free I wouldn't use it. Far to expansive to run, plenty if CFLs or LEDs will do the job of a fraction of the running costs.

ted1 wrote: »
    If I was giving one for free I wouldn't use it. Far to expansive to run, plenty if CFLs or LEDs will do the job of a fraction of the running costs.

Depends on where your using them. LED years from being properly developed and cfl take too long to get to full brightness for a bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Much nicer light from halogen bulbs but the instant on is the key feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Depends on where your using them. LED years from being properly developed and cfl take too long to get to full brightness for a bathroom.

Nonsense. Phillips LED GU10s are brilliant. Warm light, instant swich on and 35w equivalents put out almost as much light as a 50w halogen. I've got 4 of them in my kitchen. €14 a pop but well worth it.

4 watt Philips master are only 8.65 in eurosales, 14 sounds a bit dear

Maybe you're right. It was a while ago when I got them.

stimpson wrote: »
    Nonsense. Phillips LED GU10s are brilliant. Warm light, instant swich on and 35w equivalents put out almost as much light as a 50w halogen. I've got 4 of them in my kitchen. €14 a pop but well worth it.

Are these spotlights? Is the thing with LED's that it's very focused light? Wouldn't suit me but are there normal bulbs that come in LED?

They are direct replacement for halogens. I think they come either a 45 deg or 60 deg beam. I think mine are 60s.

• Advertisement

Are these spotlights? Is the thing with LED's that it's very focused light? Wouldn't suit me but are there normal bulbs that come in LED?

something like this would repalce a standard incandescent lamp

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-423343-Dimmable-AmbientLED-12-5-Watt/dp/B004IUMGV4/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/142134-philips-revamps-mainstay-led-bulb-a19-led-is-prettier-and-more-efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

These are 70W halogen (equivalent of 100W standard bulb). OP got 3 of them for less than €6.
    Show me LED bulb that will give as much light as those...
    Next thing - for bathroom use those are the best. You don't use them as much, so saving per year will be maybe €2 when using LED of CFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

People are always comparing apple with oranges when it comes to bulbs.

Bulb in the op is 1200lumens and standard bulb size.

A 1200 lumen cfl would be in the region of 20w and about 40% larger won't fit in a lot of light fixtures designed for a standard bulb.

Also standard cfls are *not* suitable for enclosed fixtures such as sealed bathroom fixtures - life is dramatically reduced.

Those 35w philips downlighter equivalents put out 200 lumens so you'd need 6 of them to replace the bulb in the op. By the time you've save the cost of those bulbs in a bathroom setting its lightly there will be far more efficient ones available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

all true. I had 9 x 50w halogen gu10 spots in kitchen and 3 in bathroom.

replaced with 6w phillips Led warm light in the kitchen nearly a year ago. Maybe 10% dimmer so not really noticable. but the bulbs were 18e each.

I got the 5watts to try in the bathroom and they were 25-30% perceptably dimmer so wasnt happy with them. Got some cheap 6 watt efforts from dhgate and never looked back.

If you want to replace 50w halogen spots the 6 watts are the bare minimum but would suggest 7 or 8 to get like for like.

As above, if youre doing it as an energy cost saving exercise might be better to shop around. some good reading on the leds magazine

http://ledsmagazine.com/features/10/4/1

Philips Master 4w GU10.....Lovely warm white light from them,40 degree angle too.:)

Thread here (pictures included) about Ikea LED light bulbs......which I use in all my floor lamps and bedroom ceiling lights too.

Might be of some use to people on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056909785

all true. I had 9 x 50w halogen gu10 spots in kitchen and 3 in bathroom.

replaced with 6w phillips Led warm light in the kitchen nearly a year ago. Maybe 10% dimmer so not really noticable. but the bulbs were 18e each.

I got the 5watts to try in the bathroom and they were 25-30% perceptably dimmer so wasnt happy with them. Got some cheap 6 watt efforts from dhgate and never looked back.

If you want to replace 50w halogen spots the 6 watts are the bare minimum but would suggest 7 or 8 to get like for like.

As above, if youre doing it as an energy cost saving exercise might be better to shop around. some good reading on the leds magazine

http://ledsmagazine.com/features/10/4/1
    Have to disagree with you. I swapped out 8 50w in the kitchen with 8 4w Philips masters.

I'm doing a MSc in energy management and I actually did a paper on the Change out taking plenty if measurements with a lux meter. The 4W are brighter than 35W but not as bright as 50w. The 50w were over speced and were not really needed, the 4w met and exceeded the SSL code.
    My wife is more than happy with the performance if the lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

ted1 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you... The 4W are brighter than 35W but not as bright as 50w. The 50w were over speced and were not really needed....

You're are infact agreeing with him that the 4w are not a replacement for 50w it just you're happy with less light.

I have in the past had to daily check the calibration of light boxes which even though they used multiple pl tubes, large reflectors and heavy diffusers placement was still a major issue with lux readings. with a source like a gu10 you must have had to take a grid of hundred of readings to get any kind of an accurate comparison.

I did indeed take a grid

Advertisement