Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laneway access to the rear of terraced house

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Speak to the neighbour, explain that he is restricting everyone's access and can you please all have a set of keys. If he says yes, your problem is solved, if not you'll at least get an explanation as to why he has done it and you can figure out how to solve the problem from there.

If the lane is in charge of the local authority then putting gates on it at all wouldn't have been lawful without permission, if the lane is in common ownership of all the houses then the gate wasn't his and he had no right to change the lock.

Either way he is currently restricting your access to a right of way and that is unlawful and he is not entitled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

he Bought the house, he did not buy a gate, from anyone,
    HE has no right to put on a new lock, without giving a copy of the key to
    another neighbour , HE has acess to the lane, along with the other 20 homeowners ,eg its a common area.
    Similar to the stairs in apartment block,no one person owns it ,or has the
    right to seal it,or block acess to it ,from the other homeowners.
    eg it can,t be blocked off by 1 homeowner ,for his own exclusive use.
    Can he not put his dog in his back yard ,or garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Robrac

riclad wrote: »
    he Bought the house, he did not buy a gate, from anyone,
    another neighbour , HE has acess to the lane, along with the other 20 homeowners ,eg its a common area.
    Similar to the stairs in apartment block,no one person owns it ,or has the
    right to seal it,or block acess to it ,from the other homeowners.
    eg it can,t be blocked off by 1 homeowner ,for his own exclusive use.
    Can he not put his dog in his back yard ,or garden.

You are right, he Bought the house, he did not buy a gate, from anyone,
    another neighbour

Hi All,
    Just a few lines to let you know the outcome of “Locked Gate”.
    I approached the new resident and asked her did she know that the lock had been changed on the gate and that I was unable to access my property.

She said that she was sorry and that she had changed the lock to keep her dog in and did not intend to restrict my or anyone else’s access to the lane.

She replaced the original lock. We shook hands and now all is well.

The friendly approach seems to work in most cases.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. Great forum!
    Robrac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Robrac wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just a few lines to let you know the outcome of “Locked Gate”.
    I approached the new resident and asked her did she know that the lock had been changed on the gate and that I was unable to access my property.

She said that she was sorry and that she had changed the lock to keep her dog in and did not intend to restrict my or anyone else’s access to the lane.

She replaced the original lock. We shook hands and now all is well.

The friendly approach seems to work in most cases.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. Great forum!
    Robrac

Thats cool, OP,
    I was reading the thread and the advice & thinking - did you get a chance to speak to the neighbor directly about the issue of the new lock on the gate ?
    Not that a lot of the advice given on the thread wasn't correct or legally true & relevant to situations such as these - Some of the information & terms would not lend themselves in a conversation over the matter that would lead to an easy resolution or mediation between yourself and the neighbor / neighbor's over the issue of the gate or the new lock.
    Glad all is well that ends well.
    mf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr_Right

Robrac, how much was the gate and who did you use?

Dear Mr-Right

I personally did not purchase the gate; it was a groupscheme where most of the local residents made a contribution of €50.00 approximately.

I’m sorry to say that I do not know who installed it.

Robrac

Thanks Rob. Looking to do something similar to the lane accessing the rear of our houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mr_Right wrote: »
    Thanks Rob. Looking to do something similar to the lane accessing the rear of our houses.
    Give us your location Mr.Right(county will do). Then we might be able to send you in the direction of an engineering firm nearby.

Ken, Dublin City

• Advertisement
Advertisement