Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 and 720 cross platform play?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Do you think users of the 720 will be on the same "Xbox Live" as the users of the 360?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Shïte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Short answer, Yes - I think so.

At one time MS had Xbox, Xbox 360 and Live for PC at the one time. We will see a similar situation with the next xbox. But I would say that there will be some missing functionality.

If there is to be backward compatibility for games on the new console the live system will have to be cross platform IMO.

Prodigious wrote: »
    If there is to be backward compatibility for games on the new console the live system will have to be cross platform IMO.

There won't be B/C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Have they actually announced it'll be called the 720? I've seen nothin about it and it's a really stupid name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Nobody knows right now.

However, I reckon MS have a lot to gain in the next-gen war if they can make the switch to NextBox as seamless as feasibly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Nobody knows right now.

However, I reckon MS have a lot to gain in the next-gen war if they can make the switch to NextBox as seamless as feasibly possible
    While they will be on the same Xbox Live network, I would doubt very much that games will allow users from an Xbox 360 to play against a user on a new Xbox.

This would be similar to how it operated when the original Xbox and Xbox 360 were on the same Xbox Live network.

could be something like when we see someone playing Wordament on Windows 8 LIVE, I can see them logged in but any interaction is impossible. I would hope too that Xbox Live will see some upgrades, stuff like chat codecs, improvements to parties, friend lists etc, things that 360 LIVE won't get.

could be something like when we see someone playing Wordament on Windows 8 LIVE, I can see them logged in but any interaction is impossible. I would hope too that Xbox Live will see some upgrades, stuff like chat codecs, improvements to parties, friend lists etc, things that 360 LIVE won't get.

Why would you want the people who can't afford the new console to not get the updates?

• Advertisement

Prodigious wrote: »
    Why would you want the people who can't afford the new console to not get the updates?

it would be nice certainly but why spend time and resources into the old LIVE when you want customers to move onto the new and hopefully improved LIVE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

CORaven wrote: »
    Short answer, Yes - I think so.

At one time MS had Xbox, Xbox 360 and Live for PC at the one time. We will see a similar situation with the next xbox. But I would say that there will be some missing functionality.

That would limit the new console to providing nothing more than prettier visuals.

No new physics, no increase in NPCs etc.

That would suck total donkey balls.

COYVB wrote: »
    There won't be B/C

Source?
    quad_red wrote: »
    That would limit the new console to providing nothing more than prettier visuals.

No new physics, no increase in NPCs etc.

That would suck total donkey balls.

What, where did I indicate that? I think you were replying to another thread.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Have they actually announced it'll be called the 720? I've seen nothin about it and it's a really stupid name.

Next Xbox/Xbox Next are the ones I've been hearing it be called most often by folks who know more than I do

Source

You'll have plenty of sources from May 21st

The system architecture isn't such that will allow for B/C without major concessions, which won't be made

I wouldn't necessarily rule out some kind of emulation down the line, but you won't be popping your 360 discs in on launch day, put it that way

You'll have plenty of sources from May 21st

The system architecture isn't such that will allow for B/C without major concessions, which won't be made

I wouldn't necessarily rule out some kind of emulation down the line, but you won't be popping your 360 discs in on launch day, put it that way

Source?

Source?

Jesus H. Christ, this is getting tedious. I don't get my information from gaming websites, or websites, or rumours.

Wait til May 21st.

And with that I'm bowing out of conversations on this topic - pain in my arse being asked for sources every time I bloody well type something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ignore any scaremongering..

My three fave consoles in my lifetime were nes, snes and the 360 I'm not listening to bull**** speculation ill wait for microsofts OFFICIAL unveil and you should all do the same before pledging ps4 lads remember the ps3 was and had serious flaws too. The two consoles are gonna be very similar not that much between them... After that its personal choice...

Jesus H. Christ, this is getting tedious. I don't get my information from gaming websites, or websites, or rumours.
    So are you saying you are making it up?

So are you saying you are making it up?

Seriously? I assume/hope you're trying to be funny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Seriously? I assume/hope you're trying to be funny...

To be fair, it's hard to put any stock in what you say. You're just some guy on the internet. Even if you know someone with access to a dev box, you're still not going to know. Outside of select group of MS employees, nobody knows if the machine is going to have a 360 SOC included, add-on box, emulation or FA backwards compatibility. Personally, I'd be surprised if it did.

Outside of select group of MS employees, nobody knows if the machine is going to have a 360 SOC included, add-on box, emulation or FA backwards compatibility.

You genuinely believe that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MOD: Lads stop the arguing. There is no way to know the answer to this until we hear the official announcment on May 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

To be fair, it's hard to put any stock in what you say. You're just some guy on the internet. Even if you know someone with access to a dev box, you're still not going to know. Outside of select group of MS employees, nobody knows if the machine is going to have a 360 SOC included, add-on box, emulation or FA backwards compatibility. Personally, I'd be surprised if it did.

That's what an NDA is for my good man, do you think the development teams are going to just "knock out" a few videos for May 21st? They have been in active talks with Microsoft for at least 3 years regarding what they want to see on the new machine...

Of course they know what they are working with....

I'm sure all the good details will leak around the day before the official announcement, it would be par the course with Microsoft....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cRz Choo Choo x

Doubt it as , but i would assume you will be able to download your profile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fieldog wrote: »
    That's what an NDA is for my good man, do you think the development teams are going to just "knock out" a few videos for May 21st? They have been in active talks with Microsoft for at least 3 years regarding what they want to see on the new machine...

Of course they know what they are working with....

I'm sure all the good details will leak around the day before the official announcement, it would be par the course with Microsoft....

What dev team would need to know if there was 360 SOC included?

What dev team would need to know if there was 360 SOC included?

All of them, given that the inclusion of it would impact the rest of the hardware

Advertisement