Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rich people

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

What about people that aren't millionaires but act as if they are? I was in Kanturk last week and this woman in her thirties parked her car across the way from me a fairly shabby 03 astra. She had her head in the air as if everyone around her were sh!t, her son around 10 got out the passenger side and was scratching his liathróidí while exiting. He brought her down to earth fairly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Yeah, one of my neighbours is Oprah-Rich, and he's bang on! He came from nothing and worked hard for what he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I havent got a pot to piss in and im an arséhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What about people that aren't millionaires but act as if they are? I was in Kanturk last week and this woman in her thirties parked her car across the way from me a fairly shabby 03 astra. She had her head in the air as if everyone around her were sh!t, her son around 10 got out the passenger side and was scratching his liathróidí while exiting. He brought her down to earth fairly fast.
    How did she act like a millionaire? Did she keep saying "Hey everyone, I'm a millionaire!"?
    Otherwise, not sure how a fairly shabby 03 Astra and her head in the air indicates acting like a millionaire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    A few of my close relatives are self made millionaires, and all of them are sound. Easy to chat to, generous, normal people really.

I don't think wealth or lack thereof determines the kind of person somebody is. Either you were already an arsehole or you were already a nice person. Money doesn't change that.
    Exactly. Plenty of self made people are sound, some are arseholes. Plenty of people born into money are sound, some are arseholes. Plenty of people who are on the dole their entire lives are sound, some are arseholes.
    There's no pattern. You can't say people born into in are generally arseholes. Depends on the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Dan O Donnell Chicago.

Guaranteed a few boardsies have met him / been employed by him on the J1

What a legend.

Insnaely wealthy. Biggest TV screen ive ever seen in his holiday home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

My ex-landlord. Not mega-rich but owns property (a lot of it outright) all over Dublin and prob has a couple of million in the bank.

Drives an old(ish) Jag, but would be more likely to turn up at one of his properties in his beaten up pickup van wearing paint spattered clothes. Loved doing DIY work and would happily talk with you for hours about plastering and tiling techniques. Absolutely lovely bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Madam_X wrote: »
    How did she act like a millionaire? Did she keep saying "Hey everyone, I'm a millionaire!"?
    Otherwise, not sure how a fairly shabby 03 Astra and her head in the air indicates acting like a millionaire...
    Use your head woman surely you have seen these type of people that act as if everyone else is below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The only rich people I have ever come into contact with have been the owners of my previous jobs.

There has been a few but one comes to mind. I was 18 and working in a McDonalds Drive thru. The owner also owned the other mcdonalds down the road from it. What a prick. The way he looked, talked and walked.

But then again they say to succeed at business you have to be a prick.

Was his name Ronald?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I know a few reasonably rich people and most of them are complete cunts, but mostly because they grew up with a huge sense of entitlement having upper class parents, so they always think they're right and a lot seem to have no idea that other people can't do the things they can.

Growing up in a very working class area, I was always very aware that the big divide in the Republic isn't so much race or religion, but class. I won't go too much into detail, because I could end up with a huge rant, but because of this I've grown up to be very wary of upper class folk. I even feel rather uncomfortable going into those areas when visiting friends because of a lot of the ignorance I've seen. However, I've met and am friends with quite a few upper class people who are genuinely normal people with no pretence or snobbery or sense of entitlement. Surprisingly, most of these people are the "nouveau riche" types who didn't necessarily grow up in the upper class, so they're more understanding.

I do know vaguely of one or two millionaires and they are some of the worst people to do any sort of dealings with. One in particular takes advantage of friends pretending to do them favours especially in regard to letting properties. That's why they're millionaires, I suppose.

TL;DR Growing up in the upper class gives them a horrible sense of entitlement. Millionaires are pricks.
    Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Yeah, one of my neighbours is Oprah-Rich, and he's bang on! He came from nothing and worked hard for what he has.

That does make the difference, I think. If you work for it and came from nothing, it's probably a lot easier for you to appreciate other peoples living standards.

• I know a few reasonably rich people and most of them are complete cunts, but mostly because they grew up with a huge sense of entitlement having upper class parents, so they always think they're right and a lot seem to have no idea that other people can't do the things they can.

That's pretty much how I feel, having grown up around lots of very rich kids. Most of them weren't downright nasty or snobby but just kind of oblivious to how rich and how lucky they were. I still know a lot of well-off people and it bugs me so much that they don't realise not everyone can afford to do the things they do. If I say in a conversation that I'd love to go to Japan, they say 'why don't you just go? What are you scared of?' Scared? I'm not scared. I just don't have anything like that kind of money to spend on a holiday, knobend.

I know another girl who has a blog and she posts about 'just scraping enough money together to buy a designer bag', we're talking 2 grand a bag here and she gets one every few months. She goes on 5-6 holidays a year to places like Thailand and Hong Kong, her parents pay for her 2 bed apartment in Chelsea and she goes to restaurants almost every night. She's nice enough but just totally oblivious to how privileged she is. She just doesn't understand the concept of not being able to afford something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

As a sometimes limo driver, sometimes tour guide to the top end of the market, I've met guys from the board of McDonald's, New York litigation lawyers, German judges and barristers, most of the European Commission, Texas oil millionaires, top US broadcasters.

They were all very different, some were absolute cnuts - particularly the Ivy League educated east coast Americans. I never want to meet people who let you know what a worm you really are to them as much as those aholes did again.
    Some were really sound, most were very very busy, most of them rewarded honest effort well. The Germans were the stingiest tippers, no matter what you did for them the still didn't appreciate it, but then again they were on a company junket, and putting their hands in their own pockets wasn't part of the plan anyway.

In my former life as a construction subbie, I met most of our top builders and developers, now mostly broke and including those already mentioned here.
    They were the same as any other cross section of irish society, some grand to deal with, some a-holes. Their underlings were usually the total cnuts actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

somefeen wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who was really wealthy.
    (in before "We are all loaded compared to Ethipoians")

Not compared to this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I got talked into a smartphone a few weeks back, away from my battered Nokia. I find it an embarassment, waay to flash and "ohh look at me poking away at my big dopey phone". I miss my Nokia and will change back soon. I also drive a dull looking anonymous car and usually a battered van. I also like working with my hands so I do- actually like getting down and dirty. Most of the very wealthy people I know are sound, you'd never guess they had any money.

I'm well off, not rich, just well off. Some of my family are rich, very rich. But unless you knew, you'd never know. They're the ones shopping for bargains in Tesco and Lidl and having a whinge about the price of parking. They also drive crap cars, spend their time discussing soccer and look like a cat dragged them through a bush backwards. But they'd buy a house for a million for the craic just because they thought it was a bargain. And not blink. It's usually the flash ones that are borrowed up to the hilt and don't actually have a pot to pis5 in. The really rich ones are usually very, very down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I don't think arseholes are anything to do with money, old or new.

Money might give them more opportunities to be an arsehole and certainly on a grander scale but they would have been one anyway so can't really blame the money.

Also, in my experience (and I've a lot of experience with rich teenagers) arsehole parents breed arsehole kids. If you're the kind of person who thinks having done well in life has made you better than others than you're kids are going to think exactly the same and that goes for the old and new rich.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've met a fair few wealthy people in my time, from those who have a few million to those worth billions..

Some were sound out, down to earth and great craic, others were complete d*cks.. Nothing to do with how much money they had or anything, just to do with their attitudes in general.

What I have found is that those with the real money (100 million+), rarely flash it around, however some of the ones with 3 or 4 million in the bank make a point of trying to prove to everyone how rich they are.

Met 2 guys in Germany last year who were part owners of an NHL hockey team last year, Canadian guys who made money from the oil industry in Alberta, no idea who they were but spent night sitting at the bar having a great laugh with them. Sound out guys. Probably worth hundreds of millions but they were just normal guys who did well for themselves.

Only found out afterwards when the barman was telling me about them and showed me the jersey in a frame behind the bar that was signed by all the players from the team to the guys in the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Who I assume to be the richest man I ever met was lovely. He was a director of a german bank at the time and invited myself and my then girlfriend over for dinner in his place while we were borrowing his Paris city-centre apartment for a weekend (her father was one of his oldest friends). He told us his life story over some incredible wine and a lovely meal his wife cooked and changed my life.

Since a very young age I'd wanted to be uber-rich and I could definitely see the advangtages to it in his lifestyle: a fantastic homes, the city centre apartment for those nights you don't fancy a long cab home, the ability to donate millions to your alma-mater, a Rhodan on the wall, cases of premier ecru beaujolais etc. In telling us his life story, he revealed what it had cost him: incredibly long hours of hard work. Fair enough. Not afraid of hard work at all. But those long hours were often in different countries to the one his children were growing up in. His kids were almost strangers to him. Not in any malicious way, they loved him as their father, but he barely knew them as they were growing up and was only starting to get a grasp on what the children his wife had raised were like now that they were adults.

That night my notions of becoming insanely rich died. Sure, I'd still love to win the lotto and buy a ticket most weeks. But, as far as I'm concerned, being at home to have dinner with the family and put the kids to bed should be the norm. I'll give up the occasional night for the sake of my career of course but I'm never letting it become a full time thing. I had 6 months of commuting to London to keep a roof over my family's head and it was fcuking miserable. If I can help it, it won't be happening again.

Wealth is subjective and there's nearly always a price to be paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The way I see it is that wealth is seen in many different ways, traits or personalities. I am not wealthy in terms of money btw. I have seen some people on the street who I assume "cash rich". Some of them can really be very nice, sound people. And I met some who are miserable as they seem to be brought up to be miserable from their parents.

But I can say that a person can become being rich and wealthy in life with no sense of ever grasping a reality. They could be ignorant at times; when people don't give them a chance to be generous towards them.

There also can be people who I feel have wealth in their standard of their education; but; they do not have to be necessarily rich in terms of having money at all.

Yes; Money is essential in some good ways. But it can be bad in terms of not enjoying life to the full.

Advertisement